The Condition of Duke Edmure Nolan

koremorleth

Not long ago, I was able to spend a couple weeks in Beles at the Ducal Keep watching over and caring for Duke Nolan while Countess Thorn was experimenting with the carbuncle gems I had collected for her. During this time, I was able to determine that the coma is not of a magical nature, and he's able to breath thanks to the aid of some bound shards at his bedside. I met two of the Duke's attendants, Amy and Cecilia during my stay at the manor, and I learned some very interesting things that happened over the last few years. They "spilled the tea" as it were.

Firstly, Countess Thorn was adamant about taking care of Duke Nolan in the early days of his coma. According to Amy and Cecilia, she was firm in that he must be kept alive, that Gavaria cannot afford to lose another leader like we did with King Gavar and Duke Noktavich of Passwall.

Secondly, and this one piqued my interest greatly, the Countess and the Duke had a bad fight after the troglodytes were found to have mutated into carbuncles. Apparently, Countess Thorn is convinced that her formula was tampered with and that the test trials before implementation succeeded in eradicating all troglodytes. The Duke mentioned how much of a mess this was going to be for trade in the area and did not take her excuse calmly or well at all.

Thirdly, and this one was very interesting, Duke Nolan was going to demote Countess Thorn, but changed his mind at the last minute after a late night meeting with the Countess. No one knows what was discussed between them, or what was said to cause Duke Nolan to change his mind. Cecilia was on duty with the Duke that night, and was asked to wait outside. When they left, Countess Thorn was smiling and the Duke was visibly shaken. This concerns me greatly.

Lastly, Duke Nolan wanted to make a formal treaty with the Troglodytes that was opposed by both Dame Daybright, Court Wizard Moroe, and Court Healer Cypress strongly opposed due to the historically hostile nature of the Troglodytes over the centuries. This opposition has changed since the Duke fell into his coma, especially since the start of the uneasy alliance between Dame Daybright and some of the remaining southern groups.

Some of my takeaways:
1. Duke Nolan's coma is not magical in nature. I can't rule out anything else at this point, but there is no magical influence or spell keeping him asleep.
2. In speaking with others around the Keep, I did learn that Duke Nolan was generally mean to his staff, so much so that people were coming and going almost monthly. Ever since Countess Thorn took his place, staff are better paid and no one has quit.
3. I spoke with Raynar, an assistant accountant for the Ducal Treasury, and they mentioned to me that the coffers have spent much less in the Countess' rule than in Duke Nolan's, due to large purchases of goods no longer being run through the Garrett Trading Company, but instead the Starr Merchants.

What I ask of you: do not mention anything of what I have shared here to Countess Thorn. I am still in the information-gathering stage of my investigation and I require a certain level of anonymity. Countess Thorn cannot learn of my investigation at this time, as it may place me under suspicion and make it difficult to learn anything else. If you wish to aid me, feel free to send a letter to my estate in Puxil Cove or find me at the next market gathering.

This is what I intend to do: I will be sending a message to Cecilia, as discreetly and secretly as I can to see if there is a way to gain access to the room that Duke Nolan and Countess Thorn had that conversation the night Thorn was almost demoted. I intend to cast a Resonance on the space and I hope to glean more context for what was said and why the Duke was so shaken upon leaving the room.

Lady Kore

Last edited:
Friends,

I have received word from Cecilia that she can get me access to the room in question. I need to keep this endeavor limited to as few people as necessary, as I don't want to attract attention. Though I am confident I can cast this ritual successfully on my own, it never hurts to have a friend along for the ride. I haven't yet determined a time yet, but I'd prefer to do this sooner rather than later. Friday evening is my hope, but if I need to wait until Saturday, I have no issues with that.

Thanks all,
Lady Kore

((OOG: I got confirmation from Claire that this will be an RP mod, so there is no actual limit to how many people can come!))

Last edited:
Back