The Corrupt

Joetor

I apologize for not posting this sooner, but recent events have made it difficult to find the time to write this. For those of you who are not aware, a few months ago a group of us performed a vision ritual with one of the corrupt as a focus. I was the recipient of that ritual, the results of which many found alarming. Allow me to describe the vision and my interpretation of its meaning.

In the vision time seemed to flow from the present to the past, then back to the present. I experienced different things as time flowed back and forth, but to prevent things from becoming confusing and long-winded I will only touch on what I feel to be important details. If you want all of the small details, please come to me personally and I will tell you what I know. In the vision I saw a great city, much like the kingdoms we know in the various other realms. In this civilization there existed two major groups of people. One of these groups were many, and their voices were loud. The others were few and quiet, subservient and meaningless to the ones with louder voices. Over time both groups swelled in number, but the ones with louder voices did not grow as quickly as the quiet ones did. The ones with loud voices had everything they needed. They had power, wealth, magic, and leadership in excess. In the end there were many quiet voices, drowned out by those who were louder.

A sudden occurrence wiped the civilization from my mind. Some sort of massive event that cleared them all away. I felt the passing of time, seeing only the dark woods and hearing nothing, and then the corrupt appeared. I saw their red eyes in the darkness, waiting. Once again I felt the passing of time. Suddenly many loud voices emerged from what I understand to be the portal and began to speak, this agitated the red eyes. What happened next I can only speculate to be conflict. Over time the voices were quieted, and when they stopped speaking the red eyes seemed to be content. Time passed. More loud voices emerged, the red eyes began to move again, and the vision ended.

Important details I remember from the ritual:
-The corrupt seemed to communicate through the orientation of their eyes as well as subtle changes in color.
-When I thought of the unifying purpose of the corrupt I had only one thought. It was the sound of a word or phrase being spoken "Na-hoo-ee"

What I post below this line is only speculation from my experiences with the corrupt as well as the knowledge from the vision. They are theories to be taken as advice only, I invite everyone to add to this discussion so that we may understand more about these beings.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe that the volume of the voices in the vision indicates social power or strength of magic/martial strength. Something shattered a grand civilization that made its home in this valley and what was left behind were ruins and the corrupt. I believe that the first group of people that encountered the corrupt were the ancestors of the people of Tarndale. It can be seen how a group of people just like us can be guided into becoming much like the people of Tarndale, especially if fighting the things you fear is only observed as a way to get yourself killed. I noticed this when the corrupt declared war on us because we had magic. They used effective scare tactics to keep us divided in our cabins and then started to bring down our wards to kill us in our smaller groups. They then dropped the corpses of our friends in front of other buildings to lure out those inside. It was terrifying. In my feelings of hopelessness I began to lose the will to fight. I forgot about my magic and my training and wanted nothing more than to turn back time and follow the advice of others about not showing any opposition to the corrupt. At the same time I felt myself becoming furious at them for what they were doing. Instead of allowing the fear to overtake me I promised that I would find a solution to the corrupt. This is why I'm sharing all of this with you.

--------------------------
The corrupt aren't responding to a possible invasion, this isn't some grand misunderstanding, and they aren't going to stop unless we stop them. Let's be honest with ourselves. When we came through the portal we doomed Tarndale to a repeat of history. It is because of us that some of their loved ones have been taken away. We owe it to them to resolve this. On top of that we owe them a life of not being afraid of taking a walk alone at night, one where losing a child once every few years to monsters in the darkness isn't something that's considered acceptable.

We can stop them. We all saw this when dozens of us ran out into the field to face them because we were tired of being penned up like sheep waiting for the slaughter. We spilled their blood in the snow and they ran from us. They are powerful, but they can be killed. We should defend ourselves and each other when they attack us. In the day we need to scour the ruins for answers that may lead to a solution. I implore everyone to help with this effort.

Please leave a note here or ask me personally if you have any questions. I understand that there will be a lot of argument regarding what I have said here, but I feel that this is the right course of action.

Thank you,

Arkelos Maelstrom

Back