The End of Times, or the Beginning

Lurin

Duke

Adventurers,

I am sure you will forgive my long absence now that the future has been seeded there has been time to discover much of my races past and the world we live in. For those that have not been paying attention, this world is on the brink as the lifeblood has been slowly drained. Soon only the corrupt would be able to exist.

While the process of reversing the damage of the corrupt is likely to be long and difficult, the first strike must be to stop the bleeding, and only by destroying the first node could this be accomplished. An insidious thing, this node has been slowly consuming the nature magic of the world since it was planted just under a 1000 years ago. If this can be destroyed before the winter truly takes hold, there will at least be...enough to sustain life within these lands.

Assaulting the node can only be accomplished during the respite, this time that was seen as a chance to rebuild and mourn your losses has long been the Corrupt’s time to strengthen their magic and make changes. This seems to create a malleability within the weave that allows it to be harmed in ways not possible for most of the year. The actual period of weakness begins in the month of August, with the corrupt ceasing their attacks in September until the weakness peaks in October.

Unfortunately, I do not think the lands will be able to recover if the node persists through October, time has just run that short.

While I can examine the flow of magic in the weave since the shade has fallen I cannot enter it nor know any specifics. What I do know is that there are ten distinct flows of magic currently in the lands that feed back into the Weave, some stronger, some weaker. I expect the stronger ones are multiple sources of the same power, which likely means multiple sources. If these could be assaulted at the start of August, the streams of magic should be slack and hopefully expended by September for any assault. In order to verify if a stream is in an area you'll need either a Formalist of some skill, or any of the gems Victor Von Griffon honored my siblings with as I have bonded them with my large gems to allow them to resonate should a source of power be within their limited range.

Unfortunately the architect will likely be ready to repel anyone involved in an assault against one of these resource nodes so it will fall to your allies to assault those. This will likely be a dangerous task so you’ll need to consider carefully where you send them, or if to send them at all and take the risk upon yourselves that the additional magic will not be a problem you cannot overcome.

Understand that in this I stand with you as my race is tied to the lands in a very real way, my breath depends on the source of magic in this world and neither I nor the future Hatchlings have the ability to flee. We will stay on this realm until the final outcome of this war is known

To that end I have done my best to find all of the old protectors that my mother knew of before her death at the hands of harroc. Be prepared as the news is dire unfortunately..

The Darastrix - Of the original 11, only a single Hatchling has survived, but he has promised his utmost aid.

The Mist Guardians - Over time they have lost their power, such that their personalities can no longer form. However I believe they still exist and will allow and assist for greater passage through the mists for any allies that can be obtained from abroad.

The Unicorns - Known to be the protectors of purity and to guard against the corruption of magic in the lands, I have been unable to find any living survivors of this race and believe they have fallen into the mists of history.

The Slythercarin - Known to keep the nine great beasts under control and prevent their re-emergance. This beast was also the protector of fledgling creatures and populations. I was able to confirm that the Slythercarin has fallen and no beast has taken it’s place. This means the great beasts will likely be reborn, but not in time to be a problem.

The Crown Ancients - Of the Thirteen, I have been able to find one, as well as the seed of one other, it lives within the valley. I believe this seed can be empowered to serve as an Avatar to help find sources of power on any given assault, the Crown Ancient has already given its agreement as to the necessity of this sacrifice.

The Chimeric Spirits - I have been unable to located the spirits, although they still exist in the world their main essence has proved...elusive.

-Charis

Last edited:
Thank you for your knowledge. If I understand correctly, these 10 locations will require a strong force to locate, or to assault? We have a little over a dozen potential locations in mind. However, should we adventurers scout ahead first to verify if these locations are streams, and then in late August send our allies to assault? Or do we send our allies to scout/assault at the same time in early August?

Granted I understand that a formalist must go with each group to locate the streams, or the use of a gem, or the dormant Crown Ancient.

-Asher

You should scout soon, to allow time to plan an assault. A Gem from our work or a seed from a Crown Ancient would suffice to detect if there is magic in the area, so small groups or single travelers should be able to check into locations.

-Charis

That is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you,
Asher

Charis,

After consideration, we feel your aid and leadership against the Giant's Walk Node will be the wisest choice. Know you have the Ophidians, their spirits, the Vrizzit and the Barbarians of The Giant's Walk at your back. Please set out tomorrow night. I wish you the best!

On a lighter note, the entrance to the cavern that contains the node is rather tight, you may need to enter in a more, Tribal form before reverting.

Be well,
-Asher

Back