The Firepit

Breten

Artisan
Just thought I'd post this in response to Tammy's comments in the review thread.

Officially the Firepit is an In Game area, though it is a Non Combat Zone in addition to the Marketplace. It is not an Out Of Game area, though many of us PC's treat it that way.

As for calling damage out to players or monsters in the area, that's the rule for the non-combat zones. If a PC/NPC is lurking and not removing himself from the area you can call damage on them. I know as the sekeltons we ended up in that area, and Josh and I were fighting and when he backed into the area I stood and gave him a few seconds. I then called a round of damage on him. I used my judgement and said let's back out and away and don't take the damage. The issue there was there was so much fighting going on you get backed into the area, so I gave him a chance to come out as it's a heat of the moment type of thing. Mike was at the fire and when I did it to him he just ran, which is another option.

So I think the PC/NPC needs to use their judgement.

Firepits seem to be an issue at every Larp I've been to.
In game area? Supposed to be yes. But in truth it always gets covered with a sort of metaphorical "Out of Game Fog" The question is how do you fix it? It's hard to. I didn't mean to open a can of worms with this, but I'm not the only person who's been upset by the "Fog" in one way or another. I think if everyone had a better personal understanding then it would be easier to use our judgement on things when it happens. My specific encounter aside, it boils down I feel to lack of understanding on both sides.

How long should someone wait for people to get up from the fire? Would it be acceptable to kill them if they don't? Should I have not been there in the first place with a headache? Maybe for all of these, but everyone will judge it differently in different situations.

In retrospect, looking back now I can think of lots of ways that both I , the other players, and the NPCs could have done things differently and avoided an upset. But I didn't do those things then, and I got grumpy and went to bed (which was probably a good choice for me at that point) I'm interested in discussing what people think would be appropriate in various scenarios, so that I (and others) can avoid letting the "Campfire Fog" rile them up.

I just noticed this post after replying in the review thread. :oops:

We try to enforce that all NPCs that want to sit by the fire pit have a persona for just that. I usually "shoo" away OOG NPCs from the Fire as it really starts to degrade if they are left to hang out by it for too long. It is hard to ignore someone when they are right beside you.

As well PCs that are OOG should not be at the Fire Pit either. Same reasons as above. It's hard to ignore someone who is there that should be "invisible". If PCs need to go OOG, please stay in your cabin. It is less likely that a cabin raid will happen than people sitting down beside you at the Fire Pit.

Most of the time monsters are "announced" long before they arrive at the fire pit, and PCs need to make the choice of either moving away from the Fire to fight "properly" or they can sit there and they are then considered "pages" (ARB 89). Monsters can swing and call damages. Players can also do this as well. Also you can call any defenses you have (Magic Armour, Spell/Elemental/Poison Shield, Dodge, Evade, Phase etc.) but most importantly, PCs need to move away from the Fire Pit, or they can die pretty easy.

We do have beds in the First Aid room if you have a migraine and need some time in a more quiet place that is 100% OOG (it's between the bathrooms) until you are ready to pop back in. That is an option for anyone who has a medical reason (such as migraine, back spasm, etc) and not for those that are "just tired".

Thank you for the Clarification.
At the time, I was upset because I didn't understand what was going on. Next time I get killed at the fire, it'll be completely my fault, and I won't complain.

Back