The Great Hunt, Soon Approaches

Shen [he/him]

Scholar
Chicago Staff
Marshal
This past Market we had a visitor during evening meal that I had the opetunity to ask many questions regarding the Hunt as it draws very near.

The Hunt is participated by a great number of either society, as well as small groups or individuals who wish to curry favor with one or the other.

Each of the two peoples have Shamans and High Shamans; in some variation the Shamans oversee the Hunt as well as mark its beginning and end.

The Hunt takes place on an island and happens over the course of two days. Once on the island, no one leaves (or has ever left in the past) until the Hunt is finished.

The Island is described as being self aware and is able to note all that are within it. Which includes tracking the participants and their would be Prey and who kills a given creature. It is my assumption that this information is communicated to the Shamans who are able to comune with the island.

While on mainland, the Shamans agree to a initial separation of the island by the participants. Which is not initially shared with their communities. We make beachfall where we do and understand that the other partipant(s) are relatively equal distance as the island is able to be divided.

The Great Hunt is more aligned with the honor of the Hunt and the game. As said a significant portion of their people participate. Dishonor, Espionage, Sabatage... are all things that are not seen favorably - for the person or their people. An admitted quality of "don't be bad at it and don't get caught" not withstanding - the two peoples as a whole are not exactly famously known for their abilities in that regard. So it doesn't often come up.

"Stealing the Kill" is a much more likely situation. However this only occurs when the groups cross paths for the same exact Prey. Which is possible, and usually accidental. In these events the value of the kill is measured against the amount dedication towards its Hunt and kill. So KillStealing can score some value, but is almost never worth the trouble or effort. Spending that time and resources into hunting with honor provides the group with more "points".

The Hunt does not immediately begin as soon as beachfall is made. So refrain from running off. The Shamans do their thing while everyone sets up base camp.

The island is abundant with creatures to Hunt. All are valid creatures which award points... larger, more dangerous, and smarter prey is more towards the center of the Island. Typically requiring some skill in hunting and tracking and a considerable group effort.

Our guest planned to return and speak with his Shaman, who would then communicate with the other Shamans. In the coming days we should probably be receiving some form of communication from the Shamans providing us an invitation to join in The Great Hunt's festivities. Our "for sure" options will be to join the efforts of one society, or the other. But the decision is made as a whole. "We Ikari's Hope join 'x'..." type of deal. We can not divide our participation. We may 'request' to participate as a 3rd faction. The Shamans will deliberate our request and then inform us of their decision. If it is denied, we would then need to support one or the other, or choose not to engage. If approved, it's possible we might be provided a small group of one group or the other, or a mixture of the two. Allowing us our own Shaman, as well as local to provide knowledge, advice and such. I asked our guest to provide inquiry as to all three options, but that we tend to make such decisions as a group so I could not commit to any of them - just wanting the options to be open and available.

A concern I raised is that the victor of The Great Hunt, the island bestows multiple rituals and catalysts of Bountiful Harvests. Therefore that society has a year that not only provides more than enough food but enough food for trade and otherwise a "comfortable" year. Those that are not the Victor, get nothing.

My concern was our tipping of the scales creating the possibility of a people going without food and our choice creating a political issue in which whoever we didn't choose, grows in dislike or worse for Ikari's Hope and it's people.

...<I've been Told>... that such does not occur. The Honor of the Hunt is more solid than that on both sides and the typical worst results is a single individual may take dislike with single individual. Particularly if a kill was stolen from them or if we bismerch their name or honor. Further that neither people if or when they loose becomes a starving helpless people. Both have what they need , those who win, simply live the following year *in excess* which Opens trade opertunities & improves the quality of life for that year.

Now I say "I've been told" with emphasis as both cultures are tend to be prideful to an extent as to never admit let alone parade weakness or failure - even about each other (honor of the game and all I assume). Equally valid, neither people are known to mince their words with hidden and double meaning. Misdirection and double talk, particularly political machinations are not "their way" so I am inclined to take the information at face value & word - but encourage us to remain mindful of the possibility of such lack of admission. So we may attempt to be a little "more than fair" in our future dealings if we find outself on the winning side.

As The Island bestows several rituals and catalysts, it has been historically customary to share at least 1 set with the largest supporting group. As well as a variety of other treasures &or trinkets. A ritual and Catalyst we very much will **need** with our thus far limited fields but growing population.

I will post a community poll within Idle Hours, as our decision to join The Hunt along side either society or request to represent ourselves, should include the opinions of those we represent as much as our own voices.

Any questions, or if you know something I forgot, or if I got something wrong - please ask or volunteer here.

Back