The Lucky Coin

Darkcrescent

Baron
Chicago Staff
Marshal
I, like many of us were intrigued about the coin that came from the Ogre named Lucky. What is the current plan with it? My understanding is it provides "luck" for an entire day. Who is holding onto it, and what will become of it?

Will it be placed up for auction at any point? If so, how will we handle bidding to those at market this past weekend and to distribute funds to everyone present?

I am willing to bet 30g, right now, as is. No need to cast Lore upon it, or vision, or dig into any curses it may or may not hold. I'm confident it's a coin that will do exactly as it says for a day, and that's something of novelty interest.

- Binks

I currently have the coin and based on how it was described to me, it doesn't bring luck as much as it causes those around the holder to be unlucky. Ser Griffon has the list of those present and we will distribute if it is auctioned off that list. I would like to cast a lore before an auction.

Baron Foss Fairfax

My Appologies, I had gone over this coind during the auction however it seemed word of that explanation did not reach everyone.

"No need to vision, lore, or dig into any curses which may not exist" is precisely why it is not yet being released for auction. It is an item of strange power and unknown origins with unknown consequences. Consequences that could potentially reach beyond the holder.

Afterall, the last person to have it had great luck for a day until they dismembered and killed after almost their entire military unit was also killed. Very lucky day I'm sure.

My current approximation is that this item will reach Auction in November.

There is no telling how such an Item will react against the power amassed by a certain author, and monstrous creatures and various planes (not to mention The Graveyard) do funny and strange things throughout October and as a result many adventures will be elsewhere or otherwise occupied - the November Market is the next time in which actionable intelligence can be obtained.

Afterall it's not as if some poor unsuspecting Orc used "immense desire" to collect such an implement. Is it likely, probably not... is it worth the risk, most definitely not.

I want to ensure this still goes up for auction in 2 weeks. Who has it and will they be present? My coin purse needs to be lightened.

Binks

I will be in attendance and am curious about this coin.

Matron FallingStar

As I understand, it is in the treasury of Keep Fairfax under the protection of Baron Fairfax. I have heard he will be otherwise engaged this coming Market Day, but I expect a member of his entourage could produce the affected item for inspection and dissemination.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Last edited:
To my knowledge, last I saw and spoke with Baron Foss - they still had the item in question.

I suspect that they knew they wouldn't be attending our small gathers in the interim before the assault of Hook Tower and spend the time with Wife and family and called upon her Skilled Magical mind and their joint political resources of the two magic Guilds to provide a risk assessment... Again, I do not know this as fact, merely supisition drawn from former conversations and evaluation of previous decisions.

I only offer the gentle reminder that objects of questionable power and questionable origin are suspect. It is a hope that such an item is benign, hope does not make it so. Historically; adventurers, nobles, and commoners all alike have found happenstance and hope and instead found themselves, their lands or fellows befall calamities of some shape. History teaches that being short sightedness is weighed against the cost of inaction. If the situation dire enough, consequences be dammed save Prademar now face and be alive to even have a tribunal. Thus far, there is no consequence to inaction which warrants the need to ignore the possible dangers no matter how unlikely.

-
Shen
Saturnian Apprentice of the Solar Guild
Apprentice Magistrate
Pawn of Fate

Fair enough, however people make deals with Fae, people apparently draw cards from a deck that shatters spirits, people rift to other lands. I mean, did anyone inspect such a dangerous deck or did they just jump in and take the risk? Its a gold coin.

Risk are risk. Its the thrill of it. I hope we can auction this item and can see what comes of it.

Binks

Apprentice Magistrate Shen,

I wholeheartedly agree: the item's dubious value, uncertain magical nature, and checkered past suggest it should be destroyed forthwith. While it might possibly offer an advantage in some small manner, items of this kind often carry heavy and unknown burdens and almost always create more imbalance than stability.

That being said, it is part of the adventurer spoils from the Olothen invader and by custom should be brought before the adventuring populous for proper dispersal. Perhaps the best solution would be to present your misgivings at the Auction. The town may be convinced in the moment to properly dispose of the item instead.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University

Dramthin,

"The item's dubious value, uncertain magical nature, and checkered past suggest it should be destroyed forthwith."

You have literally described about every magical trinket we have uncovered with a flaw, yet we send it to the adventurers for their spoils. We sell Obliteration scrolls discovered and their catalyst which have the power to destroy spirits thrice over. People make deals with dragons, fae and gryphons constantly. Why haven't we stopped those?

This world is full of mystery and wonder. We play and dance with fate all the time. We roll the dice all the time, so why not this time...flip a coin?

- Binks

Captain Binks,

While I have very personal feelings regarding deals with fae, djinn, Tapestry mages, and so on - I have neither the political appointment nor the personal druthers to stop others from pursuing them. If there are those who wish to buy this item from the Town and use it to their own ends or ending, that is their affair. I fully support an auction of these spoils.

And yet, I would also caution against bravado - these bizarre magics often lead to real-world harm for the innocent. Errant adventurer's wishes permanently killed or crippled hundreds of Waysiders. Deals with Fae have lead to massacres and upheavals both in their lands and ours. The War of the Nine was, at least in part, due to a Dragon's political machinations among Northlund nobility. These creatures, and the trinkets they imbue with their power, are outside mortal boundaries and interaction with them often lead to repercussions beyond the individual who taps them for personal profit.

The magics in an Obliteration dragonscript are at least a known and recognized entity; it is a tool that has been studied, largely understood, and can be mostly controlled through relatively simple means. This coin is a complete mystery.

So, by all means, let us retrieve this object from Keep Fairfax and display it before the adventurers for purchase. However, I personally will not be surprised if it causes energetic and deadly ripples far beyond the walls of the Flaming Skull. When adventurers play at dice, they stake all lives in the pot.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University

Back