The Perfect Wizard Staff Design

Fellow Larp Enthusiasts!

I am a PhD Student in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Minnesota, and I am interested in larping and larp weapon design. I have been challenged with the charge of designing (and then building) the world's most perfect Wizard Staff. I would like to ask a few questions of people that may be able to provide great input on what features the ideal Wizard Staff would have!

If you're willing, would you answer these questions so that I am able to better understand the criteria that comprise the perfect staff? If there are individuals that would like to talk to me about this project of designing the best possible Wizard Staff, please let me know.

Questions:
  1. Do you own a staff or have you ever wielded one? If so, why did you want the staff? How much did you pay for your staff? What can your staff do?
  2. What are the most critical features of the 'most perfect staff you can imagine'?
  3. Would you want a staff that was more than just a 'pretty walking stick'? Is there anything that you would want it to be able to do? The sky is the limit!
  4. Is it important what your ideal staff looks like? Describe what the ideal staff would look like. Simple? Ornate? Runes? Designs? Curvy? Straight? Handle? Etc.
  5. How would you like the ideal staff to feel in your hands? How would you use it?
  6. What materials would you like your ideal staff to be made of?
  7. What is the perfect length of your ideal staff (i.e. how high does it stand on your body)?
  8. How much would you pay for the 'most perfect staff you can imagine'?
  9. Is there any other important factors that go into designing the ideal staff?
Thank you! Also, if you know of any great places where I can get more feedback, I'd be grateful to hear from you.

Cheers,
Aspiring Wizard Staff Designer
magicwizardstaff@gmail.com

Given that staves for Alliance play have to be constructed according to the rules for safe combat props, they generally end up being PVC or epoxy tubing with insulation foam padding skinned with duct tape.

To borrow an example from another thread here :

wW7OKy7.png

Though due to rules adjustments you no longer need that middle padded area...which is nice!

My Staff was a gift from my boyfriend through Knighthawk Armory - it looks like they don't have my model anymore, but the closest is the flared wooden staff. Mine is far more simple than that model. I personally wanted a very simple, wooden looking staff. I play a MWE and to me, having something non-wood-like seemed to not be right for my character given where my clan came from.
I like that the one I have is straight, makes it much easier to fit in my car for travel, but has a nice hand carved look to it that gives it texture and gives it a nicer grip for me. I also have tiny hands being a petite female (I'm 5'1") so having a staff that isn't too large to grip is important, or well beyond my height for when I fight (mine is 66").
While I admire the very ornate staves that are out on the market, or that have been made by fellow larpers, I personally fear for destruction of the elements in the heat of battle. Sometimes things get crazy, and I'd really hate to spend a good chunk of money on a pre-made (and/or time making my own) only to have that decorative element get damaged or break off. But I also mostly come from a practical long term mind set.
The only thing that bothers me about having a staff is that I don't have a third arm. In battle, as a celestialist, I have to have my one in one hand and packet in the other for spells.... so where does my staff go? Into my armpit... on the ground... it's super awkward and a safety hazard. So to be able to create a system to be able to sling it over my shoulder with a strap or something - I haven't worked out the logistics of how to do it myself yet - that isn't going to damage the staff or an opponent would be top on my wish list.

My Staff was a gift from my boyfriend through Knighthawk Armory - it looks like they don't have my model anymore, but the closest is the flared wooden staff. Mine is far more simple than that model. I personally wanted a very simple, wooden looking staff. I play a MWE and to me, having something non-wood-like seemed to not be right for my character given where my clan came from.
I like that the one I have is straight, makes it much easier to fit in my car for travel, but has a nice hand carved look to it that gives it texture and gives it a nicer grip for me. I also have tiny hands being a petite female (I'm 5'1") so having a staff that isn't too large to grip is important, or well beyond my height for when I fight (mine is 66").
While I admire the very ornate staves that are out on the market, or that have been made by fellow larpers, I personally fear for destruction of the elements in the heat of battle. Sometimes things get crazy, and I'd really hate to spend a good chunk of money on a pre-made (and/or time making my own) only to have that decorative element get damaged or break off. But I also mostly come from a practical long term mind set.
The only thing that bothers me about having a staff is that I don't have a third arm. In battle, as a celestialist, I have to have my one in one hand and packet in the other for spells.... so where does my staff go? Into my armpit... on the ground... it's super awkward and a safety hazard. So to be able to create a system to be able to sling it over my shoulder with a strap or something - I haven't worked out the logistics of how to do it myself yet - that isn't going to damage the staff or an opponent would be top on my wish list.

Thank you! This is super valuable... Can you answer a few follow up questions now that I have a prototype? I'm trying to refine the design and anything that you have to offer could be immensely helpful. Here is a link:

https://umn.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_9Ep4e7CiOXwKzGt

Thank you! This is super valuable... Can you answer a few follow up questions now that I have a prototype? I'm trying to refine the design and anything that you have to offer could be immensely helpful. Here is a link:

https://umn.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_9Ep4e7CiOXwKzGt

I will be happy to answer the survey when I'm not at work and can actually look at the video clips on the survey page! YouTube is blocked at work :(
I should be able to do this tonight for you!

Back