The Study of the one Magic Issue

As I am a man of knowledge, and not war, I would like to emphasize the fact that I am not as durable as a barbarian warrior or other such professions, and I do not appreciate death. This being so, please keep in mind that if the time comes that I offend any of you by way of my assessment of your flame, please refrain from loading me with a quiver of arrows (not to name any specific overly optimistic female archers). Quarrels can be easily solved through discourse, and if you TRULY feel the need to rend me in two, please have the decency to bring me back to health.

In the name of Wisdom,

Wycliff, the Seeker

All students vary,
as do the teachers.

Some lessons are more painful than others.
Learn quickly.

In the name of wisdom,
and the value of life,

~Ahlana

Last edited:
(Sigh) I am AWARE that women stick together, Ahlana, you've no need to remind me of that. However, it is a curse of my profession that I cannot deceive one regarding their flame: no matter how I wish to avoid insulting an individual, if asked, I cannot lie. Such an act would be an insult to my predecessors and to my trade, regardless of my personal safety. This is why I ask that if you are not prepared for the answer, do not ask the question.

Sometimes the truth hurts.
If you insist on speaking it always,
it is a risk you must be willing to take.

I am not taking a side,
simply attempting to educate you
in a less than fatal fashion.

~Ahlana

Educate me? My body may be the meager age of nineteen now, but I've lived two centuries more than that. I am unsure of your years, Ahlana, but with your visage cannot place you older than I. To elevate yourself above me so readily is something I find shocking for one with a flame so fitting to her namesake. To be clear, hardly before have I met a group of travelers so varied, but more than that, never have I found those as spontaneous save the fey. The truth should not be judged as something with an affiliation: knowledge is neither inherently good nor evil, therefore what a person does with the knowledge I impart should be no more my responsibility than it is the responsibility of the ground to a man who falls on it. As what you may do with it is none of my concern, so should I be free of the threat of death for imparting it. As the saying goes, "Don't kill the messenger".

Time, and therefore age, is an elusive thing, hard to track.

Knowledge is power.
Wisdom is knowing when to use said power.

While I have no interest in debating your knowledge,
it is your wisdom in sharing it that I question.

Do as you wish, I was just imparting advice.
In many cultures killing the messenger is a common action.

Right or wrong in this case is irrelevant.
Your life is what seems to concern you.
I am simply trying to help you preserve that.

This discourse is tiresome.
Heed my words or not, the choice is yours.

~Ahlana

(Strokes chin) I seem to be at a loss. It's been two centuries since I've been taught by another....

I quite admire your rational thinking: philosophy is a much harder skill to hone than that with a blade. On the same note, you seem to be the correct individual to speak with about the past, from what I've heard, and now seen. If you would, I would like to know the full story behind the temporal distortion surrounding the tavern. The only information I have currently is that of the instigator, the world dragon, and very little at that.

Back