The Witcher

Grimnir9

Hello everyone.

Lately I've been itching to try out LARPing, and I wanted to play a Witcher. Now that the Witcher 3 is available, I really want to roll one as a LARP character. My question is, would this be possible in this game?

Thanks.

Could you be more specific as to what aspect of the witcher you wanted to emulate? The melee and magic fighting style is certainly possible. The ability to single-handedly roll over hundreds of enemies not so much.

Yeah, sure. I don't know if you should call yourself a "Witcher" IG, but the premise of being a professional monster hunter? I see no issue with that. I'd recommend a character with a wide versatility of skills (ReadMagic, Alchemy 3, Legerdemain) to really capture that feel.

Note that you won't have the same experience that you do in the Witcher, a game designed around the concept of a single, devastating hero, instead of a group of heroes of comparable strengths. But you could totally have his bag of tricks.

Thanks! That's what I wanted to go for (a professional monster hunter with skills in alchemy, some magic skills, and sword play). I was also looking to master lorecraft; having an understanding of local customs and legends. I wouldn't want to be the guy who would roll over 100 enemies by himself; I just love the idea of tackling monsters you read about in Grimms tales.

Thanks for the quick response guys.

P.S. Draven, are you the same Draven who camped with Omega at Pennsic?

Then yes, you can absolutely do that, although you should be aware that having that kind of spreading out of skills means it will be a long time before you can do any one of them exceptionally well. The cost of being broad is a lack of depth.

Understood. I'd expect that for a low level character. I could also dive deeper into the skill I want to truly advance in as time progresses.

Alas, I do not (currently) have an Alliance character named Draven.

Round about 28th level or so. That's when I had a full fighter set, a 9th level spell, and three levels of alchemy.

Round about 28th level or so. That's when I had a full fighter set, a 9th level spell, and three levels of alchemy.

If you're doing this (which is a good idea) and going earth for the spells (which I would lean towards) you will also want at least read magic and a 1st level celestial spell (if not a 4321) to throw scrolls.

Unless you go biata.

My first character was originally heavily-influenced Geralt, I even had a backscabbard. As people above have said, it is definitely possible though you will have to give up a little bit to be a generalist. If that's the play style you want, though, there's nothing to stop you from playing it.

The problem with a "Witcher" character concept is the inherent badassery required. Witcher badassery comes from their mutations, signs, potions, bombs, and sword coatings. Signs are basically spells, bombs could be gas poisons, and sword coatings exist in Alliance but are effectively worthless as they take a long time to apply and only work for a single strike, blocked or not. Witcher potions don't exist, as anyone can use potions, and Witcher mutations don't exist either.

There's more to Witchers than their combat prowess... the ability to track monsters and the knowledge of where they hunt, how they live, how best to take them out & such is also important... but none of that really translates to this game. The "Monster hunter" concept as a whole is certainly possible to do from a roleplay character perspective... but ultimately it's very difficult to discern yourself from everyone else who fights monsters during a weekend. I've been trying to build an undead-slayer type of character inspired by the Witcher series who carries a pair of swords (one iron, one silvered), but ultimately I feel like just another adventurer/fighter. Monster Slayer on a sword can kinda specialize you, and I'm certainly working my way toward getting one, but in general unless your fellow players are willing to sorta "play along" with your supposed expertise in hunting monsters... there's not much you can do.

I disagree. If you play a badass monster hunter as a character concept, and really follow through with it in your roleplay - internalize it, make it your own, and avoid cliche in favor of personal touches - other players will buy into it. That's the beauty of roleplay - if you make yourself what you say you are, it's easy to believe.

I would focus less on the "how" of being a Witcher-type character and solidify the "why."

Also, whatever you do, don't be a "mysterious loner" character. You can be badass and scary without hiding in the back of the tavern and brooding. Talk to people and encourage them to take part in your story. :)

Craftsman: Monster Hunter may provide you with some of that knowledge, Craftsman: Tracking can assist you with some of that tracking. That's at your local plot's discretion, of course, but it's not uncommon to use craftsman skills for stuff like that in the Pac NW.

Btw, the dude in a the game is like 40th level. It's okay to not be a badass. Maybe your character had a mentor who was a badass like that, who he would like to emulate.

Roleplaying a Witcher in our game is easy to do; getting the unique skills of a Witcher not so much (as people have pointed out).

Part of the problem is that some of the skills just can't be done in-game. Tracking and other craftsman skills only work when Plot can do it for you; they can't assign someone to follow you around all day and explain what tracks you're seeing on the ground, and if you go to a Plot person and say you want to track the NPCs that just ran into the woods, how is the Plot guy going to know where they went?

As long as you come into the game with the understanding of the limitations of a live action game like ours, you can have a lot of fun. But there's no way we can do the things a computer game or even a tabletop game can do. (On the other hand, there are things we do much better than either of those two things!)

Back