Theres A New Kid In Town!

Hey folks! Just moved into the area recently and, while looking for things to do online I found this group! I've never LARP'd before but I think it would be really fun and would love to give it a shot.

To tell you a little about myself my name is Julian Diaz, I'm originally from Arizona but moved to Monterey after joining the Air Force to study a foreign language at the Defense Language Institute. My weeks are super busy and stressful but I always seem to find time for myself which I use for my writing and a metric ton of video gaming! I did a lot of work in my theater program back in highschool and I loved it! Planning to pursue acting further after my service. In addition, I am a lover of all things fantasy and sci-fi, there's something about the profound impossibilities that are commonplace in the worlds of people's dreams that just gives me such a high! I know I said I was new to LARP but I think my experience as an actor and even some work at a renaissance festival as a street performer might work to my advantage.

Welp, that's me! Hopefully, I can join a game really soon once I get a handle on the rules and character creation. Look forward to meeting everyone!

Welcome to town. We have a game day coming up on the 16th in Redwood City, and those are great for a more gentle entrance into the game, instead of diving in head long during a weekend event.

NPCing is also a great option starting out. It lets you try out the game without committing to a character yet. Plus, it’s free!

Welcome to town. We have a game day coming up on the 16th in Redwood City, and those are great for a more gentle entrance into the game, instead of diving in head long during a weekend event.
That sounds great! Where could I find more info about the event? Like addresses and how to get there?

The chapter is usually pretty cool about loaning out weapons to first time players particularly if you don't want to invest right away! You're right that commercial latex swords run like ~$100, but there are local players that can make more classic boffers for ~$30. A lot of us also have the materials for boffers laying around that we'd be happy to pass on for cheap if you want to take a crack at it yourself :p

if you look and not picky, you can find some weapons cheap that would work. Here's a simple longsword for under $30 (although shipping brings it up to just under $60). That's where they get you, in the shipping. Anything over 3 feet jacks the shipping cost way up.

https://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-50277-knotwork-viking-larp-sword.aspx

And be careful of any ebay sales. i have found that most of their cheap weapons are coreless. That's right, a coreless 40" longsword. wonder if i could use them as thrown weapons. would be a sight someone chucking swords at people (this is a joke)

if you look and not picky, you can find some weapons cheap that would work. Here's a simple longsword for under $30 (although shipping brings it up to just under $60). That's where they get you, in the shipping. Anything over 3 feet jacks the shipping cost way up.

https://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-50277-knotwork-viking-larp-sword.aspx

And be careful of any ebay sales. i have found that most of their cheap weapons are coreless. That's right, a coreless 40" longsword. wonder if i could use them as thrown weapons. would be a sight someone chucking swords at people (this is a joke)
Damn I didn't see these, these are perfect! Thanks man!

do realize that every weapon is subject to inspection at the game and can be deemed not safe. I think this one should be OK but im not a weapon's marshal.

Medieval collectibles jacked up their shipping prices sometime last year. If you see something you like on their site, it's easier to order from the original seller, since MC is a reseller. So things that are from epic armory, which is in Canada, are cheaper to order directly, then from MC

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

on an unrelated note, i highly suggest anyone new to larp to watch this youtube series. it's five 7 minute episodes but done real well by (IMO) one of the best larpers i've ever had the pleasure of rescuing from an orc sacrifice in am 11,000 person larp in Germany.

Back