Thorn's Tremendous Tome of Terrors!

Joda

...name is still to be determined.

Now that I have your attention, I must ask your assistance! I posted previously about working on an Adventurers' Guide to Monsters, and have spoken to a few of you about it in person, during my brief visits last market.

Now, when I say I need knowledge about any creatures, that's rather vague and directionless. So I figured, every book needs a table of contents, and this thing will need categorization. So...

If you have a list in your mind of the name of countless different creatures and their variants, we can start there! Either responding to this or in a personal message, just think of (and tell me) the name of as many different monsters as you can recall! (Yes, I realize this will be a lot)

Additionally, categorization! Migs is already kindly looking into this for me, but specific categories and subcategories. This, along with a giant list of names of creatures, will help me create the framework for this guide, and can fill in specific information later.

I plan on working on this off and on over the summer, and if I can receive enough information before the next regular market faire, I may have something tangible!

You are in no way obligated to assist in this, but any and all help is appreciated!

-Thorn

Thorn,
Perhaps you, migs, and I can start a "dreaming document" (Google doc) so that we could work together on this throughout the off season?

Ignathis

——————————————————
Ig: Ignathis Nachtfeuer
Oog: Ethan Rath

So a list of creatures?

Elemental- Fire, Ice, Water, Stone, Air, Lightning, Life, Death, Pleasure, Darkness, Shadow, Chaos, Order, Void, Sleep, Fear, Gold, etc (I can't think of more right now)

Undead, Lesser- Zombies, Ghouls, Ghasts, Ghosts, Skeletons, Vampire Spawn, Wraiths, Mummy, etc
Undead, Greater-Vampires, Mummy Lords, Liches, Death Knights, Banshees, etc

Low Races- Orcs, Ogres Trolls, Goblins, Gnolls, Kobolds, Lizardmen, Troglodytes, Ettins, etc

Fae- Fairies, Satyrs, Centaurs, Redcaps, Fauns, Brownies, Nymphs, etc

Magical Beasts: Griffins, Dragons, Phoenixes, Hydras, Krakens, Unicorns, Pegasuses, Manticores, Sphinxes, Basilisks, etc

There are throngs more, I may be wrong about Death Knights as greater, but this is at least a start.

-Sam Gemclipper

For those interested in the document, I would suggest an accompanying illustration to each creature. I know Elle has amazing illustration skills. Should this document make it even close to completion, I would bind it into book form and keep it for reference. It could even be a valid gift to new adventurers or something to leaf through when the peasantry cannot identify the ills of their land.

-Joseph

(OOG: No, it's not a regional pokedex. I swear!)

Hello All

Sir Foss also request I assist. I would suggest we talk as a group to see what are the talents of each person working on the project and how we can work together to get a working copy completed.

Aramis Seablade
Owner of the Scrolled Adventure Scriptorium and Cartography shop

Joseph,

I think the picture thing is a great idea. I know Elle is really busy with her town but I'll ask her if I see her.
Or is there anyone else with the talent of Illustration???

Thorn,

Joseph hit it on the nose. My thought of the purpose needs to be for all people, farmer to king, to be able to know the enemies and mosters that plaugue our world and how to survive or fight them.

Let's take Sam's first entry. Fire elements. Not only should the page say "Fire elemental" and a picture of a fire elemental. But where they are commonly found. How they usually fight. What defensive spells and potions are useful. What weapons, scrolls, spells and such work against them. The different fire elementals. Like imps or overlords. And tactics they use. Any other useful information like if there are any known fire elementals of interest or anything that can be salvaged off of them or known associates.

I'm sure the Solars would be a great source if info for elementals and the Masters of the Earth guild for undead.

I know I'm asking for more than is needed. But the more information, the better prepared we are. The better prepared we are, the more lives can be saved. And that is what is important.

Sir Foss Fairfax

Last edited:
Ignatius,
An excellent idea! I'll contact you with details.

Sam,
Thank you! That is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for! This is a great start.

Joseph,
That's a great idea, one I hadn't considered too much as I'm not much of an artist, but if El is willing! I feel like that would be a component to be worked on down the road, however.

Aramis,
I saw your offer before, and of course would be happy to receive any and all help, especially as this progresses. However I just would like to make sure it's understood that this is a personal project of mine, and will be spending quite a bit of time between markets working on it. As of right now I am only working on the mass gathering of information, and will work from there. Again, I'm gladly accepting all help, but it's not my intent for this to be a town project. (Edit- obviously this will likely involve many people, so my intent for this to not be a town project is misplaced. I am, however, taking the initiative of this project and won't take kindly to being directed.)

-Thorn

Last edited:
Foss,

It's my belief that in this project, there's no such thing as too much information, so I completely agree with you! I'm already working with members of both guilds in my pursuit, in addition to my own research.

-Thorn

I have some illustration skills that I could offer.

~Vanya Tel'Morko~
Elf Earth Scholar

Thorn,

I highly recommend involving Vanya Tel'morko.

-Joseph

I'd gladly accept your help, Vanya!

-Thorn

Back