Those of Moria, Caldaria, Deadlands, Ashbury and Vandlar::

phedre

Squire
To any who travel those lands, or who have fought next to Zehnyu Shanshi:

I found her, and travelled with her this past weekend. In the coming weeks, she will be traveling with a compatriot to aid him. I bottled her compatriot because he expects to have multiple Deaths and Obliterates thrown at him. She will be next to that compatriot... She expects to be hit with at least one of those things. She's died twice thus far, so there's a possibility it will permanently kill her. She was in possession of a Regeneration set and a Permanence Catalyst, all she needed was the Permanence Scroll for me to cast on her.

Someone found a Permanence Scroll in the course of the gather, and lied to her when asked if he had found it. He's now auctioning it off to the highest bidder. I just found out he's a Squire in those lands.

A Squire is selling something for personal gain when he knew the dangers that one of the people he was sworn to defend was going to face.

He may have, out of greed, sentenced my wife to her permanent death. Should this happen, I will be traveling to Parna to discuss this with him. Any who possibly wish to join me in this talk are welcome.

-Phedre Shanshi

Re: Those of Moria, Caldaria, Deadlands, Ashbury and Vandlar

Most nobles have far more wealth than I so I doubt a squire making a few gold will become an issue. Come to think of it, your effort to make profit sound heinous disgusts. Gold is an excellent way to measure the worth of a squire, noble, merchant, adventurer.

The lie is, of course, a very big problem but sadly, not all that uncommon. Nevertheless if you bring evidence of the lie to the paladins there is a chance they will act.

May your wife's coffin be studded with rubies and emeralds,
Moon Silvertongue

Exactly why are we waiting to deal with this liar?

Are you both ok? Are you now stuck there too?

-Taya

Phedre,

If you wouldn't mind, relinquish this creature's name, and description..Parna is a jaunt for me, even through the mists, but I could make an exception I think..supposing I can pull myself from vandlar, and away from this undead, chaotic mess that we're ***-deep in out here..The eastern half of the continent is now void as well as the area surrounding Porthaven...meh..Contact me here, or in a private missive(fyrephase@gmail.com)..whichever you so choose.

And if he's listening, or she, or it..whatever the hell you are..You've crossed dangerous borders, toiling with, and lying to my family..I expect you to make things right, or expect no mercy.

Captain Tsuku Negrie Wyngard
Apprentice Monk of the Claw
Bearer of the Eyes of the Ancients

I wasn't aware that people could just make claims to items and just expect that they be handed over without recompense. In my land, this is generally called banditry. How the item found is dealt with, is hardly what stands out here to me. You simply cannot expect to be given something just because you want it. Perhaps the squire needs the scroll for his own regenerate, or to use the coin for magic items which will help him defend his own people, who he has sworn to protect, or to give them the coin to purchase farm equipment. What right do you have to claim that the lives of the people your wife will protect are more valuable then the lives this squire will protect? How is your claim to this item any different than my claim to your magic items? They would no doubt help me protect my people. I also fight things that throw Obliterates, perhaps I should demand this scroll as well.

If you really want the item, and he is selling it, it sounds to me that the solution is obvious. Every time you walk on to the battlefield, your life is measured in gold, in your potions, in your magic items, in your team. It is simply the way of things.

~Kerjal

Hmm this is troubling and it is unfortunate that if he knows you need the scroll and why you need it that a reasonable payment couldn't be found instead of an auction to the highest bidder. To me this seems to be taking advantage of your current predicament in hopes that the said individual could get more money than usual. As a squire it would be noble of him to donate the scroll to you or sell it for a reasonable sum you both agree is fair. As others have said, he may have other plans for the scroll that are equally altruistic, but selling it to the highest bidder tends to make me think otherwise. Regardless, it is his perogative to do with the scroll as he wishes but the lying is disconcerting. What lands is this scroll useable in? I could check my team's treasury and see if we have a scroll that matches the lands you require. I don't know if I will be available for travel in the near future but please contact me, Phedre, if you require aid and I will do my best to be there. I would be happy to see Zehnyu again as well. It has been some time...

Honor and Duty,
-Gwendara Alanik
Seneschal of the Stormblades

He was asked, point blank, if he posessed the scroll, and was told at that time that we had the coin to purchase it. My wife has also been actively seeking one, and had, not 24 hours prior, relinquished claim to a separate ritual scroll that he desired.

Nobles in my lands don't lie or further their own personal coffers over the safety and continued survival of the people they take oaths to defend.

Or at least, if they do, they don't remain nobles for long.

He knew the intended use of the scroll, and there is no other gather in all of Fortannis before the fight she is going to face. To my eyes, he kept a scroll for personal gain while possibly denying someone else the ability to do what they believe to be moral and just, and survive to get home to family.

Had it been someone who hadn't falsely taken oaths, it would be a more personal matter. It was not, so it is not.

Deal with the lying squire however is appropriate, I don't tend to muck about with nobles and their laws. You have the regenerate and catalyst. Which is the bigger waste, casting it for a year, or not casting it at all?

Kerjal

Seems 'ta me like ye're barkin up tha wrong tree. Dunnae complain ta us, but rather go ta 'is liege an petition for redress. Tha's the thing bout oaths, they cut both ways.

-Padraig

Put your coin to work, put out a call fo' as many one-use "Hobling nuh-uhs" as we like to call 'em. Den you don' 'ave to worry 'bout de Obliterations or Deaths 'neithah. Might be worth a try anyway.

~Raif

obcidian_bandit said:
I wasn't aware that people could just make claims to items and just expect that they be handed over without recompense. In my land, this is generally called banditry. How the item found is dealt with, is hardly what stands out here to me. You simply cannot expect to be given something just because you want it. Perhaps the squire needs the scroll for his own regenerate, or to use the coin for magic items which will help him defend his own people, who he has sworn to protect, or to give them the coin to purchase farm equipment. What right do you have to claim that the lives of the people your wife will protect are more valuable then the lives this squire will protect? How is your claim to this item any different than my claim to your magic items? They would no doubt help me protect my people. I also fight things that throw Obliterates, perhaps I should demand this scroll as well.

If you really want the item, and he is selling it, it sounds to me that the solution is obvious. Every time you walk on to the battlefield, your life is measured in gold, in your potions, in your magic items, in your team. It is simply the way of things.

~Kerjal

obcidian_bandit said:
Deal with the lying squire however is appropriate, I don't tend to muck about with nobles and their laws. You have the regenerate and catalyst. Which is the bigger waste, casting it for a year, or not casting it at all?

Kerjal

Maybe you should have argued more about the squire lying then the ritual scroll. You spent some time on what the squire might do with items, coins and what not but merely brushed on his lying.

To be fair, she did say d'at de whole reason dis "noble" did such a terrible t'ing was due to greed, so mah guess is dat was what he was a'dressin'. An' ah'm not gonna go all a'preachin about "Oh, a lying noble, big surprise", but ah will say "What, a noble who passed up an opportunity to both turn a profit AN' get some points wit' de adventurin' community in one fell swoop?" 'cause d'at mean he/she gonna be a squire for a very long time not knowin' how to be all political like dat in d'ose situations, ya?

~Raif

Gilwing said:
Maybe you should have argued more about the squire lying then the ritual scroll. You spent some time on what the squire might do with items, coins and what not but merely brushed on his lying.

I don't see why. The cavalry rode in long before I said anything on horses plenty high, and I've no interest in hitching mine in the vicinity. As my cousin just before me took the time to point out, catching a squire, or any other nobility in a lie, simply doesn't shock me. Going into depth on the issue of nobility acting like muddy dogs who are allowed to think that they can sleep on the furniture without being scolded is another issue altogether, and I wasn't planning on bringing it up since it didn't seem particularly pertinent.

My point stands. Complain about the "greed" of someone else if you like, but if you're not willing to part with money to get what you want, or if you have everything you need but it wouldn't be an ideal situation to maximize your power gain, you should turn your eyes elsewhere first.

Kerjal

phedre said:
He was asked, point blank, if he posessed the scroll, and was told at that time that we had the coin to purchase it. My wife has also been actively seeking one, and had, not 24 hours prior, relinquished claim to a separate ritual scroll that he desired.

Nobles in my lands don't lie or further their own personal coffers over the safety and continued survival of the people they take oaths to defend.

Or at least, if they do, they don't remain nobles for long.

He knew the intended use of the scroll, and there is no other gather in all of Fortannis before the fight she is going to face. To my eyes, he kept a scroll for personal gain while possibly denying someone else the ability to do what they believe to be moral and just, and survive to get home to family.

Had it been someone who hadn't falsely taken oaths, it would be a more personal matter. It was not, so it is not.

I tend to not dwell upon the fortunes or mis-fortunes of nobles (born or else be), but if you relinquished claim on a parcel which is claimed without getting something in return...that is your choice.

The Pack will use what is needed and if force be needed, so be it.

-Snows On The Wind

obcidian_bandit said:
My point stands. Complain about the "greed" of someone else if you like, but if you're not willing to part with money to get what you want, or if you have everything you need but it wouldn't be an ideal situation to maximize your power gain, you should turn your eyes elsewhere first.

Kerjal

Some one that does not represent a Lord/Lady, Knight, Barron etc they can be greedy and only affect them self, maybe make there family look bad, but a Squire...They are making the person whom they sworn fealty to look bad. Just how an attack on that squire is treated like an attack on the person they sworn fealty to. Actions that the squire does reflects upon the same person. How are people going to respect that person, who is being held up as an example of justice and righteousness if they are only doing things for personal gain. How can people rally behind some one, allow them to be lead by this person if there actions will be questioned at every turn because of something as stupid as this.

For the record Zen DID part with a scroll, to help out that person. Knowing that they wanted/needed it, some people are foolish to mistaken weakness for kindness. Again bad form for a squire, whom is meant to up hold justice to lie to an adventure for personal gain. If this was between two adventures it would be a different story, but its not. Its what a squire did.

What I have taken most from this is one thing: Zen is alive still fighting. I am overjoyed to hear that.

I am saddened to hear of a Squire lying, as those of us who hold title honastly don't want or need one who's word is anything less than his bond amoung our ranks. Indeed there has been far too sour a taste left in many an adventures mouth from their interactions with such.

All I ask is that those who can aid Zehnyu do so. You will find few more loyal and fierce people to call a friend. And remember that there are most amoung the Nobility truly do serve their people, many with thier lives, as best they can. Do not let this one petty Squire speek for us all.

To Zehnyu,
We will see you again, and you will triumph agaisnt this foe as you have many in the past. My only regret is that I can not offer you more than my words and my desire to see you returned to the lands of Caldaria, Learethan, Moria, or Icenia so I might see my friend again. Until then, hunt well and may you find calm seas, a strong wind, and ample stars to find your way home.

Lord Amaranthus Landcharmer
Lord of Stoneroost, Kingdom of Eire
Sergeant, Brittington Irregulars, Kingdom of Icenia

Back