Thoughts on my first PC build?

Pure effectiveness wise, if you want to do celestial magic, and you want to do more damage with your bow, but you don't plan to actually get into melee, adept would be an ideal eventual end goal.

Just for some perspective, if you start out as a pure scholar, all it usually takes to slide adept or templar is one backstab or prof. It's an investment when you do it, but it comes and goes fast enough.

Something to consider though is that bows do physical damage. Your wand will always do elemental. A lot of things are more susceptible to elemental damage. >.>

An elf with a bow is always a good call. Even as a Pure Scholar an Elf pays the same as a Human fighter, and it only gets better. A longbow will give you defense and unlimited ranged offense, which is quite useful at low level as you are more prone to "run out of stuff".

In my biased opinion, Healing arts improves every character, so good pick.

As the Twilight Elf Caster mentioned before, I am also a fan of having a dagger on your person... however, the specific skill "small weapon" I am not a fan of at all. Carrying a concealed throwing dagger for cutting people out is all you need.

If you plan on going Templar or Adept, looking into a good melee style (down the road) will suit you quite well... I'd recommend 1 handed edged over blunt as edged includes "poking" as an attack maneuver unavailable to blunts. It also includes spears, to which blunts have no analogy. Also, look into (eventually) learning a fighting "style" either two weapons or shield. You don't have to start with this at all (it can really eat into your spells) however, as you progress you will find it very useful, especially as a class which is half "fighting" (either prof or backstab based)

The points about Wand damage escalating for celestial scholars vs archery has been made... if you were going Templar so you could do more bow damage over time, you will have that better (in my opinion) sticking to Wand using scholar.

The only "Elf" skill you are missing is Resist Command... but you are just starting out and build is tight so it's ok. Make sure you pick up one eventually (I'd recommend more but your mileage may vary)

Also worth noting is celesital formalists have the ability to turn a staff into their wand... so the staff skill may be something to look into, but as a low level elf I still feel archery is a better call.

Ultimately the choices are yours.

Craig

Pantzike said:
Also worth noting is celesital formalists have the ability to turn a staff into their wand... so the staff skill may be something to look into, but as a low level elf I still feel archery is a better call.

Even at higher level, archery is still a better call. I find I can better spend the high magic points in something other than Oak of the Arcane... plus as an elf you're not paying a whole lot more for a skill that is prof and a half. For the high magic points to use a big stick instead of a small one, you can add another 100 points into a Burst pool, giving you +1 damage to your wand charges.

I'd regret that 4 spent build if it didn't make it impossible for me to get Dragon Magic Race Changed to Dwarf and Hobling :)

If you want most bang for your buck, go templar to start with the build you described (Read & Write, First Aid, Healing Arts, Read Magic, Archery (at half cost), 4-2-1 celestial, CO: Gambler), buy spells until get a 4-column and 10 ranks of rit (you can slide scholar somewhere in the process to gain spells faster), and then by the time you buy something like a prof and a few critical attacks as a scholar, you'll be back to a templar and buying profs at 18 build each (rather than the scholar 40. Ouch.)

Pantzike said:
An elf with a bow is always a good call. Even as a Pure Scholar an Elf pays the same as a Human fighter, and it only gets better. A longbow will give you defense and unlimited ranged offense, which is quite useful at low level as you are more prone to "run out of stuff".

Unlimited as long as someone else is making you arrows.

That's our wraith, always looking on the bright side, this gives you an almost instant in with any of those bored blacksmiths in town!

Lurin said:
That's our wraith, always looking on the bright side, this gives you an almost instant in with any of those bored blacksmiths in town!

Exactly! I spent way too much time trying to keep my gypsy in bolts that way. Archery is fun. :thumbsup:

Okay, after contacting my chapter I've learned that after spending my gobbies, I have 42 build. And after processing everyone's advice (thank you!) right now I'm planning to stay as a Templar and spend them likewise:

Archery (4)
Critical Attack x 4 (12)
Weapon Proficiency (6)
Craftsman: Gambler (2)
Read and Write (3)
First Aid (2)
Healing Arts (2)
Read Magic (4)
Cel. Level 1 x 3 (3)
Cel. Level 2 x 2 (2)
Cel. Level 3 (2)

which adds to 42 exactly! As for spells, I plan to stick with Disarm, Pin, and Ice Bolt, and also buy a Lightning Wand. Btw, this may vary by chapter and even by blacksmith, but how much do arrows cost? Not the OOG packets, I mean the IG tags. Is there any way to IG scrounge the battlefield for arrows as you OOG recollect your packets? I apologize if the answers to these questions are in the rulebook, I may just not be looking hard enough.

Arrows are expended once fired and not reusable. They cost .5 copper per arrow and are therefore made in bundles of ten. You can buy a rank of Blacksmithing for 3 build when you get the chance (after learning it from a teacher) which would allow you to make a few arrows of your own, as well as repair armor on the field.

You can also pick two extra 1st level spells and one 2nd level for your spell book. Celestial options are Light, Stone Bolt and Fortress at first and Magic Armor, Repel, Lightning Bolt and Shield at second.

mguarino said:
Critical Attack x 4 (12)
Weapon Proficiency (6)

Weapon Profs "eat" your Crit Attacks (I suppose as a way of conveying that you can swing that +1 damage full-time). The total build is correct (18), but again, you don't keep the Crit Attacks. You perpetually buy those 4 crit attacks, then buy the prof, then start over again, adding the appropriate damage based on how many profs you have purchased.

mguarino said:
Okay, after contacting my chapter I've learned that after spending my gobbies, I have 42 build. And after processing everyone's advice (thank you!) right now I'm planning to stay as a Templar and spend them likewise:

Archery (4)
Critical Attack x 4 (12)
Weapon Proficiency (6)
Craftsman: Gambler (2)
Read and Write (3)
First Aid (2)
Healing Arts (2)
Read Magic (4)
Cel. Level 1 x 3 (3)
Cel. Level 2 x 2 (2)
Cel. Level 3 (2)

which adds to 42 exactly! As for spells, I plan to stick with Disarm, Pin, and Ice Bolt, and also buy a Lightning Wand. Btw, this may vary by chapter and even by blacksmith, but how much do arrows cost? Not the OOG packets, I mean the IG tags. Is there any way to IG scrounge the battlefield for arrows as you OOG recollect your packets? I apologize if the answers to these questions are in the rulebook, I may just not be looking hard enough.

I suggest keeping the 2 build from your second Craftsman and getting a 4th Level 1 spell. Disarms are the cheapest Death Spell you can ever throw. If they have no weapon, they can't hit you.

Arrows, once thrown, are consumed. IG, I assume the fletching has torn off, or the arrowhead has detached from the shaft. They can be dropped as treasure, but I wouldn't count on it. They cost a half production point apiece to make, so 10 copper for a quiver, you can usually find them for 2 silver (20 copper) at most. (If they're silvered, or coated in some type of alchemy, expect them to be far more expensive.) You might be able to post something on the IG boards where you plan on playing and see if anyone can help you out. You'll get a quiver as part of your new player equipment, and if you have any gobbies leftover, you might be able to buy a few more quivers that way.

Your spell build is correct, if I'm reading that right, it's a 3-2-1. You always have to have more underneath, but you can stop at 4 of each level. You don't have to always have a pyramid, you can have an obelisk or column (4-4-4-4-4-4-3-2-1 is a valid set of spells to have).

Your spell build is correct...

You're right, it is. I mistook his build cost "(2)" for the number of spells he had on that level.

Oops.

:ninja:

Edited that garbage to avoid confusion.

Because I did the same thing Adam did :)

I stand by the Disarm is the best death spell you can throw at first level bit, though. Disarms have been the most useful thing I throw many times.

Back