Thrilled with the Selunari

Onyxdubh

As a person of Rom heritage, I was concerned when I started playing Alliance, as well as some other fantasy LARPs, at the prevalence of some facets of the races in the game. Colour me amazed that, weeks after I joined and played at my first game, I spoke with Mike V about them, and he said "Oh, we're already working to change that. Don't worry. But thank you for your input."

That was about 4 years ago now. And I've been sitting on the edge of my seat waiting to see what came about, with various theories being thrown my way over the years. I saw what some chapters did to minimize the impact, and I expressed my appreciation for that whenever it happened.

But now, we have the national answer. Something that is incredibly awesome, if you ask me, and maintains the flavour of the race without at all impinging on real cultures or perpetuating real stereotypes. The story in the race packet is entertaining, but I am appreciative most of all of the note in the costuming and RP section that suggests that should you incorporate real life bits, that you do so respectfully towards both the real culture you're borrowing from and the immersion of the game you're playing.

I love the various artwork that shows different placements of the gem, which gives people a very clear idea of things they can do, while leaving it wide open for other inspiration and encouraging artistic expression. It strays from the idea that it was a "bindi," and clearly shows it to be a fantasy race tied into the world of Fortannis and the history of Alliance.

I want to commend the creators of the race packet, the people who thought this all up, and the artists they got to draw those great pictures. I'm really looking forward to finally being able to play a character of this culture, and I owe it all to them.

Thanks you guys, you rock!

I'm actually very excited for the change, Looking at maybe making this race something I might play when the new lowbie campaign starts up.

Hey, Mike, no worries! In the grand scheme of things, 4 years is nothing. And you told me you were working on it, and I saw evidence of that, so instead of even thinking of getting annoyed, it heightened my anticipation instead.

I can't wait for the new rule book, but I really just want the Selunari committee to know they did a good thing, and that they rock. Because sometimes I forget to thank people publicly, and I am trying to change that. Warm fuzzies in public for everyone! Now... I have to begin acquiring gems, too.

I was also very persistent and vocal about this change locally, as Dave G. (the owner of SoMN) knows from many conversations, but I share your excitement for this new race! It sounds awesome! Great job everyone involved!

(Aside: Please remember to change any forum signatures accordingly!)

Last edited:
(Aside: Please remember to change any forum signatures accordingly!)

A question on that {if there's a post for Selunari questions, my apologies for sidetracking here}. For those of us who were named as "Rai" or part of the family to the previous iteration of the race, is there guidance on how that will have changed? Is there a different title, or should that be a more local discussion?

Also, after reading the packet, thank you and kudos for making a wonderful new race. It's unique, it's fun, and it is respectful to the players it will be effecting ^.^

A question on that {if there's a post for Selunari questions, my apologies for sidetracking here}. For those of us who were named as "Rai" or part of the family to the previous iteration of the race, is there guidance on how that will have changed? Is there a different title, or should that be a more local discussion?

That's a great question for your local Plot team, and a great discussion to have with the Selunari players who declared your character Rai, both IG and OOG! The FAQ section of the official announcement touches on this question, but ultimately it will be up to individual players and chapter Plot teams.

Back