Thrown Weapons, Gypsy Curses and More.

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, I'd like to say that I had a fantastic time this past weekend and would like to thank you all for that. I am currently working on my rebuild and have been curious about some things.

I was told that you cannot use packets or beanbags as thrown weapons but I do not see that anywhere in the rules. I also don't hear of thrown weapons used every often, is there a reason for this? What is their drawback over arrows? They can be picked up and reused, correct?

Next, I would like to ask about the gypsy curse. Last game it occurred so me to use the 'curse' as a reward, cursing someone that they will be caused to laugh from the heart at least once a day. I also called it a Gypsy Blessing. I know there are no rules on this but I wanted to ask about it. Also, if I curse another player or NPC, should I tell a marshal or just allow them to RP it as they will?

I have also been considering having her sell things through the merchant guild. Does t his require the skill Merchant? Or is that specifically for fencing items to the gms? I am also rather crafty and make quite a few props. I'd like to trade these in for goblin stamps or dragon stamps, depending, but don't want to just make random things that you don't need. Is there someone I can get in touch with so I can make more personalized and more game specific items?

For Wizard Locks and Wards, I have heard that the nobility grants the baronies with their own wards for serveral things. If I wanted my own ward (wizard lock), I was told there was a way to do that with a gold or two, but it was in passing. Can you clarify those rules for me?

Thanks in advance for the replies and answers. I look forward to the next event! ^_^

I'm glad you had a good time at your first game! Most of your questions should be forwarded to your local chapter staff (this is the general forum for all Alliance chapters), but I'll answer the general stuff as much as I can.

Thrown weapons have to be made to resemble weapons and generally have to follow the same construction rules as any other weapon, although they can't have a solid core of any kind. Packets are used to represent very specific things in our game and it would be more than a little bit confusing if someone tried to use any kind of packet as a thrown weapon.

Thrown weapons can definitely be picked up and reused.

I use thrown weapons fairly regularly as my main character and I'll say the main drawback to using them is finding somewhere to store them. I use little throwing axes and it's a pain to carry any more than 2 or 3 at a time without a dedicated bandolier or something along those lines. One other drawback is it makes it harder to use blade poisons - you can make an entire quiver of weakness arrows or serious vorpal arrows and have them at the ready along with all your other arrows, but unless you carry around a dozen or so thrown weapons it's going to be hard to selectively use the poisoned ones. On top of that, you can use one blade poison to coat two arrows if you have an alchemy workshop.

As for the "Gypsy blessing", it's not explicitly disallowed as long as you follow the standard rules on Gypsy Curse, but the other Gypsies you meet may not look on it favorably. As for marshal involvement, I'd ask your local staff. I don't personally see the need for a marshal to be involved (aside from maybe notifying them by the end of the event) but I can see where other marshals would disagree.

I don't know the setup of your local merchant guild, but you do not need the Merchant skill to sell items IG, only to fence them through logistics.

Any donation questions would go to your local staff.

Ward and Wizard Lock are Celestial spells, so they can be cast by a Celestial caster. If you're looking to get one cast, I'd seek out a skilled Celestial scholar in game.

Packets are used to represent arrows/gas globes/spell or spell like Attacks. As a result, using them to represent thrown weapons could, and would, create confusion.

I don't see anything wrong with your curse, other than with the RP premise. I'd talk with your local Plot team about that.

Merchant allows you to sell items back to Logistics for their Production Value. Maybe you found a potion of Disease that you'd like to Merchant. You do so, and Logistics will give you 5 copper (which is how much it cost to make it).

You can also use Merchant to assess the value of some of your chapter-specific items. Contact your local chapter for further information.

You do not need Merchant to sell cookies. Or anything, really.

Thank you all for your reply. Sorry that I posted this in the wrong section but I appreciate the answers. I'll forward this to the local chapter then by email probably. Thank you again. ^_^

You posted your new player questions in the new player questions forum. It's not the wrong section at all. :)

I was told that you cannot use packets or beanbags as thrown weapons but I do not see that anywhere in the rules. I also don't hear of thrown weapons used every often, is there a reason for this? What is their drawback over arrows? They can be picked up and reused, correct?
It's not explicitly spelled out in the rulebook; the implication intended on page 82 is that thrown weapons are constructed of some sort of foam with no core. For a couple of technical reasons: 1 - packets aren't safe for adding tags directly to. 2 - packet things are non-recoverable, foam things are.

The drawback is that the thing you threw can be thrown back at you, if the creature has the skill to do so. Thrown weapons cost more, both in-game and out-of-game. Arrows can benefit from from blade poisons at 2 arrows to 1 poison. They also generally don't fly as far.

Last game it occurred so me to use the 'curse' as a reward, cursing someone that they will be caused to laugh from the heart at least once a day. I also called it a Gypsy Blessing. I know there are no rules on this but I wanted to ask about it.
The rules for Gypsy Curse are explicitly laid out on page 62. The closest thing you might have is the "uncontrollable action", but it's definitely laid out as more often than "at least once a day": with every thing you do and say is certainly more often. If you and Bob the Dude decide you want to rp that you did a thing and it made a thing like that happen, sure, have at, but don't expect some sort of rules enforcement.

I have also been considering having her sell things through the merchant guild. Does t his require the skill Merchant? Or is that specifically for fencing items to the gms?
The Merchant skill is explicitly for selling production items to the game runners at logistics for coin. Any sales or trades that occur outside of that are entirely dependent on roleplay and character interaction (and not on any rules).

I am also rather crafty and make quite a few props. I'd like to trade these in for goblin stamps or dragon stamps, depending, but don't want to just make random things that you don't need. Is there someone I can get in touch with so I can make more personalized and more game specific items?
Your local plot team. :)

For Wizard Locks and Wards, I have heard that the nobility grants the baronies with their own wards for serveral things. If I wanted my own ward (wizard lock), I was told there was a way to do that with a gold or two, but it was in passing. Can you clarify those rules for me?
Wizard Lock and Ward are special effects within the game. The most common method of accessing the effect is to find a character in-game that possesses the ability to cast them. The cost of obtaining said effect for your own use is dependent on your in-game interactions. If your character is not casting the effect herself, then "how to get a ward/wizard lock" is an entirely in-game endeavor (barring your local plot team having some sort of logistics mechanic for getting one).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back