Thrown weapons

Grimshaw

Was thinking of taking thrown weapons and wanted to make them.
So the question are:
How must thrown weapons be thrown? Must they be tossed over hand like a packet or can they be tossed like a frisbee?

How must they be designed? Must they look like daggers and axes or can they be disc or shuriken style?

I understand they can have no internal hard weight but is duct tape a suitable weighting process?

Thanks for feed back.

James "Grimshaw" Ferguson

There is no designated way to use throwing weapons. As long as they are made of soft foam with no core and you adhere to the same restricted strike areas that a melee weapon would have, you can throw them anyway you'd like.

To put it bluntly, there is pretty much no restricted design parameters for thrown weapons. The only thing that is measured is the size. Once it reaches a certain girth, it will switch to a large thrown weapon instead of a small one. You can literally have a large boulder as a thrown weapon. I've seen discs, I've seen mushrooms.

Bill made me a soft core rolling pin weapon last event. Now the tag has it labled as a small weapon, but it could easily be retagged as a throwing weapon since it has no core. Yes, Sam could throw rolling pins in combat if he wanted to do it.

Duct tape is a viable weight option, depending on the size of the weapon.

Regarding the rolling pin, that is a thrown weapon rep. Even if it meets the length requirement for a small weapon (which I don't think it does, though I could be remembering wrong) I would not personally pass a melee weapon without a core. That said, the weapon marshal at the event has the final say.

Beyond what it says on page 82 of the rulebook, there aren't a lot of restrictions on thrown weapons. A good test for whether or not it's safe is to have someone throw them at you harder than someone would typically throw them in Alliance. If it hurts, rethink the construction method. Extra duct tape to weigh it down is fine as long as the outside doesn't get too hard.

Generally speaking, thrown weapons should look like actual weapons. I'm a bit of a hypocrite on this point, having made the aforementioned mushrooms, but weapons really should look like something that can do some damage.

I was told by staff that the rolling pin counted as a sap. Should I get my weapon retagged or is that correct?

They may have been thinking of an old rule, as saps were removed a few years back. If have to see it, but if it doesn't have a core I would personally tag it throwing weapon.

If you look at the Waylay description pages 68 and 69, it specifies that Waylay can be performed with thrown weapons or non-tagged foam reps that looks like stones or bludgeons. That's probably what the staff at the event were referring to when they said sap, as it used to be a tagged item.

A sap is NOT a small blunt, though. Small blunt weapons (officially called Bludgeons to further complicate things) follow the same construction requirements as any other weapon. Again, the marshal at the event takes precedence over what I say online, but a coreless foam weapon like that would be used as either a thrown weapon or as a Waylay implement, not an actual melee weapon.

Yes, this was my fault and yes I was referring to the sap as a waylay instrument not an actual weapon.
Sorry for any confusion.
Come see me at next logistics and we will get a proper tag for the rolling pin.

So for production cost of a thrown weapon, if it is something the size of a throwing dagger or small hatchet, use Throwing Dagger - 5 and anything 24 inches or larger use Javelin - 10. (Reference: Rule Book ,Page 56)

Yup. The weapon production chart apparently wasn't updated when they changed the categories to "Thrown Weapon" and "Heavy Thrown Weapon", but Thrown Weapons (<24") cost 5 PP and Heavy Thrown Weapons (>24") cost 10 PP.

Just FYI - the rolling pin was never used as anything but a Waylay vehicle. I apologize for having it mis-tagged.

Don't forget Javlins. Those are my personal favorites.

3ft of foam with a squishy tip and a c battery weight.

Easy to make and fly nicely. Carried a bag of them around my first year. "Aren't you the javelin girl?" Yes. Yes I was. Lol

Javelins, like any other thrown weapon between 24" and 40", are considered Heavy Thrown Weapons. Batteries are NOT allowed for weighting thrown weapons anymore. Page 82: "Thrown Weapons... must be constructed with no core and may not be internally weighted with hard materials."

Javelins, like any other thrown weapon between 24" and 40", are considered Heavy Thrown Weapons. Batteries are NOT allowed for weighting thrown weapons anymore. Page 82: "Thrown Weapons... must be constructed with no core and may not be internally weighted with hard materials."

Really? Bummer, guess I will have to roll up some tape since it doesn't need to be much. Just stuff some extra foam in there. Lol.

Javelins are still cool.

I have seen some really cleaver things done with using foams of different densities or different sorts of tape- be surprised the quality of some of the thrown weapons. Though most of my favorite are just open cell foam but of the right size to get a good toss with em.

Kyle your mushrooms come to mind.

How did I miss thrown mushrooms?!?! Now I want to toss a mushroom at someone.

Amanda

Back