Time is almost up Prophetess

Our deal is almost at an end you see... the comming of winter is near and you have not returned my bethroved to me... I will keep my promise to you Prophetess you will watch them suffer...

Who speaks with such a forward tongue in threatening my home and my friends? I could be be convinced to assist you in your problems if you employed more courtesy and less intrigue or aggression - but, mark me, your problems will be mutiplied if you bring harm to those I cherish.

Master Dramthin Hartsboon
Simple Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Goodman Hartsboon-

I believe the voice you hear is that of Lord Galleous, and he speaks of a deal struck with Elysia back in the early spring of this year.

In good faith,
Mara Glenbeck

If it is the Lord of the Winter Wind, it is a most unusual occurence for him not to proclaim his station and title, though not for him to threaten everyone without shouting distance. I didn't think he would stoop to unsigned proclamations in order to stir fear and annoyance - how droll. Not to mention, discussion of his betrothed in such an open setting is most bizarre. Glenbeck, obviously, portions of these matters are not meant for public discourse, would you be willing to relate what you can in private?

Why do people make deals with the Fey? It is -always- to their detriment, and that of those around them. Is it some sort of crippling blind spot in the 'civilized' mind that thinks 'Oh, hey, making deals with a creature powerful enough not to need me, and capricious enough to consider my life nothing more than a broken toy is a -great- idea!'?

-Shin

Master Shin-

People often look at the "shiny" and think only of the advantages they can gain out of a deal. They rarely look at the consequences.

Think of it as a bad business deal, if you will. Very few people truely believe that the debt will be called in one day.

In good faith,
Mara Glenbeck

There's no need for privacy in a matter that is quite public.

It is indeed Galleous, and he is referring, as Mara said -- to a deal I struck with him almost a year ago.

It seems that some less...delicate adventurers scared away his betrothed -- a biata I met only once. He exchanged some information and help on an issue Elle was having with Cumlo having forgotten her in exchange for my help in finding him a new bride. I promise you that I recieved nothing "shiny" from this deal. Mara, you were there, I would think you'd recall things more distinctly. I could not bear to watch Elle cry over Cumlo, her heart in tatters over a fey curse. I am perhaps, too loving, too kind.

Galleous, however, hasn't exactly been helpful because he makes every poor girl I bring him cry with his icy demeanor, cold words, and frozen disposition.

That is, in truth, how I ended up living (and as I am now -- dreaming) in this frigid castle of blustering winds. I thought proximity would help me understand him better, and therefore be able to better garner him a bride. I have learned much about the Lord of the Winter Wind during my time here, much of which has surprised me. There is indeed some warmth to be found in his icy touch, a glow of hearth in his frosty home, a touch of intensity in his gelid speech, a flash of heat in his arctic stare.

But don't tell him I told you. I'm sure he'd deny ever having been kind, gentle, or thoughtful towards me.

Anyhow, the deal was, my much beloved Lord -- not that I return your love to you, but to find you a suitable replacement. I am doing the best I can. You've not been exactly helpful.

For those of us eavesdropping at home -- the price exacted for me falling back on my word? The coldest, harshest, cruelest winter Wayside has ever seen. He promises that I will watch everyone I love suffer, and many innocent farmers and their children will die under his unyielding hand.

If you think that the sudden cooling of the nights and days has been incidental, you're wrong. I suspect this is Galleous showing me that despite our... time together, he will keep his word. As the seasons move and change, Galleous grows anxious to flex his power. Trust me, I can see it in him.

So, I will live up to my end of the bargain. I shall present you a willing bride. Perhaps the only woman in Wayside who can be trusted to shoulder through your glacial torrents:

Myself.

Though, in truth, I doubt a fae will find a mere Mystic Wood Elf worthy of him, no matter how good her intentions may be. And at this point, I realize my life is forefit to his whims, it is the chance I took when I made the deal. Sometimes people do things for the sake of setting the world right, not personal gain. Perhaps it is your stoicism and cynicism that keeps you safe, my friends, but I am not so lucky to have been gifted yet with such distance.

Elysia-

I do apologize if my words were unclear. I was speaking in generalities, not in the specifics of your situation. Really, our situation with the Winter Lord. I do indeed recall the visit to his icy castle, and the chill of his promise, now becoming a reality.

Perhaps there is a solution. Perhaps not. Time will tell.

In good faith,
Mara Glenbeck

Prophetess, you should think very careful about this decision. Though the Lord of the Winter Wind has a man's shape and face, and appears mortal, it is nothing of the sort. Fae are alien to our existence: they don't feel as we do, nor are their goals ever, really, aligned with ours. The Winter Wind will find a way to rain havoc and dismay down no matter what you do, it's the creature's nature. The "tenderness" it shows is not truth, but a clever manipulation designed to drive you into an even deeper despair. Any "mercy" it proffers is a greater scheme fit only to bring about pain.

I understand, you are in a difficult position and feel the honourable thing to do is cast yourself on its marriage bed, but don't think of it as anything beyond a political decision. If, for a moment, you're acting because you think it feels, needs, or even understands love, you're bound for misery.

That you haven't been deadened by the world is, perhaps, your greatest ally with this creature. Its only goal is pain; seek your joy and you will find an aegis this alien cannot break.

In the mean time, tell me more of this Biata - she may still be found.

Love is a sort of relative term, and I'm fairly certain that that idea has not crossed my mind. Love, Galleous has made it clear, is not important in the exchange.

I don't pretend to understand his motivations, Dramthin. I barely understand my own most days. But I assure you that he has shown me kindness, in his own strange way.

And you're right, he's not mortal. But neither am I, really. It is said that the first Mystic Wood Elf still roams the mists, and will forever continue to do so until he decides to give up his will to live. It's likely I will at some point, fail to ressurect from some weakening of my soul -- but I've no control over when or how that will be.

As for misery and pain? Tis true, they are cold bedfellows, but I have warmed to them in recent months. Mayhaps numbed may be a more appropriate nomenclature -- but either way, I wonder -- why are you concerned? I am confused, Dramthin. How is it any better to offer up some unknown Biata girl, or anyone else? I at least know what I am getting into, and have spent many months in Galleous' home and care. Who else is more prepared than I?

Mystic Wood Elves are something as akin to fae as we are to elves. It is perhaps more "socially" acceptable for this reason. But it doesn't matter. I thoroughly expect him to laugh coldly and tell me I'm not going to "get off that easily". But I cannot endanger lives needlessly when it would be just as easy, if not safer to endanger only my own.

It is simple mathematics, Dramthin. I would think that a calculating and quick-witted mind such as your own would have already ascertained this quotient.

As for being destined for misery -- well, you might check to see if there is a line of Seers in your family, because you're closer to the mark than you probably imagine. But I'm not concerned. All will work out as intended, and I am content in that knowledge. It will be what it will be. I don't ever pretend to understand emotion, love especially. Love feels more to be a burden than a gift in my estimation, so I hope for my own sake, that he doesn't love me. I don't know that I could bear the weight on what is already a heavy-laden heart.

My joy will be found in saving the ungreatful population of Wayside, who will never probably know what frigid horrors they have narrowly avoided. It will be in saving the lives of comrades, some of which probably deserve a bit of cold winter to make them greatful for what they have rather than concerned over what they want, and in easing the load upon the backs of those few locals who I've grown to care for, whose love and kindness will remind me of warmth even in the coldest winter wind.

Joy is relative, Dramthin. Therefore it is both finite and infinite all in one breath, one second, one moment, one blink of the eye. It is useful only for its own sake, and no other. Joy is self-serving. I think this is a time for the colder, more level-headed selflessness.

I promise you, I won't hurt. Much. Therefore, it is a small thing.

Stop worrying.

And above I see the proof. It -is- something about the fey that sends the wits wandering like a kitten amongst the wolves.

-Shin
Red and Black

Naw Shin, that Elysia always talks like dat. Des Fae do sound dangerous though, can you Adventures do something about 'em? I mean, you're already trying to get that Horfrost guy, why not get dis Galeous guy too?

-Creg
of the Rockfists

Seems to Durl like its a bad idea to just offing all them magickal controling the weather people...won't that just make things less balanced and worse later on? Its always best to endure the elements when they come callin en they'll blow/burn/dry/crumble themselves out in time. Ya really wanna show this Galleous guy that he can't push ya around then the best way is ta just endure whatever he throws at ya, it ken be tough early on but even da guy that controls the wind can't keep things cold forever.

Shin-san, I would say dealing with Fae only leads to rack and ruin if one thinks of them as mortal. Many adventurers are entangled in the Elemental Courts, but with far fewer personal catastrophes merely because it is much harder to anthropomorphize Elementals - while Fae go out of their way to appear as emotionally similar beings, hence the tragedy. However, I think it's the very bathos of pity that you twist knives in those inmired in these affairs - you seem more interested in touting yourself as a seasoned adventurer than truly offering sympathy. I recognize the length of your ears, but that's no reason to disdain others for their actions.

Prophetess, while I laud your willingness to cast yourself down that others might rise, I think there are more effective ways to safeguard Briarpass. If you take it as said that the Winter Wind's only pursuit is the creation of anguish and pain, your sacrifice will come to naught, in the long run. It does not look to you for compassion or even submission, but for unending torment - it looks for the same from Briarpass. If you think your actions will quench this creature's thirst, you are mistaken - Winter Wind can not tire nor can it slake its appetite.

Divorcing yourself from your Spirit and Gift does not actually make it so: you are a mortal with the feelings and longings of such a being; Winter Wind is nothing of this and will never reciprocate. Though your joy and life is fundamental to your friends, something we seek and cherish, this creature knows nothing of these values but what it can use to slake its hunger. It is the cracking of the mountains by age, covered in the shell of a man - it is a game played in milennia with the world as its pieces.

I speak of the Biata Betrothed because she willingly brought herself to its side. I do not know the story, but I would suspect she was not acting under force of threat or destruction. If she was the intended but was driven off by local forces, we needs right this Imbalance and bring her back to her decision.

Truly, the only way to bring Winter Wind to knee is by Balance with the Summer Courts. Fae are their own monitors, it's only when we mortals interfere that the system sways. Both Shellshield and Rockfist speak to possibilities which, at least, would spare your needless, individual torment. Please, don't entwine yourself with Winter Wind - there must be other ways.

Hartsboon -

It is, perhaps, a failing of mine that appearing sympathetic is not my strongest suit. I am simply frustrated to see, time and time again, in every land I travel to, the same problem occuring and those involved not having the foresight to realize the consequences. I cannot truly claim to be a 'seasoned adventurer' by many standards, but I have learned often and to my own detriment that the Fae are devious and ultimately destructive to mortal lives they so love to toy with.

I had some minor hope that a harsh word would help this prophetess, who in truth I have never met, to reconsider her decision to bind herself to such a creature if any other option exists.

-Shin

Shin-san - I understand your fury and frustration but I would ask, how many times has a harsh word from a stranger changed your opinion on any particular topic? Truthfully, I don't suspect any of us will change the Prophetess' opinion or course of action. One could say it's the nature of prognosticators to rely heavily on intuition and instinct, but I think it's something more than that at work here.

At any rate, Prophetess, know that there are those who will assist you in your plight.

This is all for naught, friends.

I've changed my mind.

Though I appreciate your words, in whatever light you've offered them, I am withdrawing my offer from the Lord of the Winter Wind to be his bride. It would complicate things too greatly, and I frankly don't feel like being coerced into anything at the moment.

Especially when another has offered her hand, and since I cannot refuse a woman who would like to make the suit in lieu of myself -- I will present her, and we shall see if Galleous is amenable to meeting her and seeing if she is suitable.

Marcena, if I can rouse myself from dreaming this weekend, I shall see you to the Lord of the Winter Wind on this coming market day -- if not, at the last breath of October introductions shall be made.

Unless, of course, the Lord himself wishes to present himself unto you before then.

Beyond my original capacity, however, I think I will not act. It does not, suddenly, seem to be a reasonable choice. Call it... a female's perrogative. Or perhaps "intuition" is a better word.

Either way, you may cast about your harsh words for Marcena, rather than me.

I am tied up wit' t'ings in Valdanis, Prophetess for now. Dhe Harvest Mont' should be nye problem, I do nye t'ink.

...The Stone table shall have turned by then and winter in season for me and mine... it will be too late.

It won't be too late. We had an agreement, Galleous.

One year. Since we made our agreement when snow was already on the ground, I think it will not harm you to wait a bit longer.

I think our original agreement was made in February? I can't recall exactly, but I can tell you it has not been a year yet.

Patience. It's a virtue.

Back