Timer Counter?

Warlok

Adept
Ok, this may sound a little strange up front, but here goes:

I have seen in the past a small device with maybe 4 or 5 buttons on it which is meant to be used as a pet care timer. The timer is pre-made with times for a specific type of pet (rabbit, hamster, etc.) and lets you know when it is time to perform care for that particular pet (clean cage, feed, etc.). When you perform the task, you press the appropriate button and the timer for that tasks starts again.

Now, imagine that you had a device similar to this, but instead the buttons were for .5-, 1-, 5-, and 10-minute timers and perhaps a "clear" button for one or all timers. Does such a thing already exist (other than a fancy stopwatch...I'm looking for simplicity here)?

If not, do any of you have a way to get a prototype like this made, perhaps? It does not necessarily have a giant market, but if you can come up with other applications for such a device (maybe with dfferent pre-programmed timer durations), perhaps it could be marketable elsewhere.

I know that I would LOVE something like this and I'm sure others would be inclined to have a device that could be quickly used for counting out those long durations accurately.

I was just thinking about it, so I had to ask.

Thanks for reading,
Luke G.

something like this is out there, so it is doable to be made.

http://www.epill.com/multihome.html

I just don't see enough market for making something with short timers of 10 minutes & keeping track of multiple times. There are multi-clock kitchen timers also.

Check laboratory supply vendors. We use three channel timers that can be preprogrammed with different settings; I'm sure you can find some with more or less.

For example, this one from Fischer Scientific.

Now that I think about it, I'm sorely tempted to acquire one of these for myself.

Yes! That looks very much like what I was trying to find. I hope I am never in need of more than 4 timers at once, so that will probably be fine.

Thak you very much, Shandar!

another helpful feature for a multi-timer would be a "stop all" button for holds

Dom said:
another helpful feature for a multi-timer would be a "stop all" button for holds

You're supposed to stop timers for holds? I can find no statement in the ARB that says you should do, or are allowed to do, such a thing. The only thing I can find implies you're supposed to stop combat activity, take a knee, and not look around/RP/First Aid, etc., though you're allowed to pick up [mana] packets. I can find no references to "stopping all in-game effect timers" though, or any sort of in-game timer for that matter.

While it might "make sense" to be able to do something like that, that does not necessarily mean that there is any intention to allow for that sort of thing; especially in a game where I can hit you on the inside of your forearm with a (PTD) Stun Right Leg, and it somehow manages stuns your leg. :wacko:

Avaran said:
Dom said:

While it might "make sense" to be able to do something like that, that does not necessarily mean that there is any intention to allow for that sort of thing; especially in a game where I can hit you on the inside of your forearm with a (PTD) Stun Right Leg, and it somehow manages stuns your leg. :wacko:

Well, I didn't think stopping a timer during a hold was related to game realism.

If it is not a requirement than I was wrong. I'm quite new to this game and just assumed you would stop timers during a hold, because it made sense, considering a hold is a pause of the game. It almost seems like cheating, to keep your timers running during a hold, to me.

I have to admit, I never considered NOT stopping a count while in a Hold; it seems contrary to the very concept of a Hold. That being said, you're right, there's nothing explicit in the Hold section stating that it's a "pause" of "In Game time" - nothing about time at all, in fact (ARB pg. 36). Man, I hope I haven't been inadvertantly extending my counts all these years (especially that one time when my Death count was extended for five hours while I was taking our Marshall to the hospital). [eep]

Holds are a completely out of game pause in play, and in my mind, that means you temporarily stop all timers for the duration of the hold. Person A gets hurt, Person B calls a hold. Person B is Drained, at 3:43 remaining. It takes 5 minutes to ensure Person A's health, then the hold is ended, resuming the in-game action exactly where it left off, with Person B still with 3:43 of Drain, even if out-of-game 5 minutes has elapsed.

In-game time does not pass during a hold. I would consider it a form of cheating to continue any count (including Blacksmith, Arcane Armor refitting, effect durations, what have you) during a hold.

that's the way I interpreted it. If it does not specifically state it in the rulebook then maybe it should be amended.

I've actually been meaning to write an Android app for this, as I have an armband made for an iPod Touch that my phone will fit in (when I finally get it, stupid finances). I don't know about you, but when you're laying out in the snow in an empty castle courtyard, your mind tends to wander and you can lose count. (Yes, that actually happened to me at the SoMN castle event, got life'd 5 seconds from dissipating).

Back