Tips

Lurin

Duke
So if one of us Midwesterners deemed to come down to play in a Head quarters game, Might we expect a ride to/from the site/airport? A follow up question, what would be the best airport to attempt to arrive at?

Sadly, I think Newark might be the closest (and that isn't very close). Alternately, airports in central NY might work (if there are any). The site isn't remarkably close to major airports. What exactly do you define as midwest (everyone seems to have a different definition these days)?

-MS

Minnesota specifically., I'll take a look at flights to that airport, I won't be able to come out to the next event but who knows what the future can hold?

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport http://www.flyavp.com

The Faireplay site is a little over an hour north of there, according to Google maps.

That's the next project, we should definately get an airstrip over beyond the parking area.... then people could fly in. It's brilliant!

We could always contact the local Biata council and have them fly people into the site on Gryphons from the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton airport. They can land without a pesky airstrip!

I think it all depends on who you can get a ride with...

We have people that come in from Pittsburg -- so if you had one of them as your ride, you could fly there and ride with them to the site (about 4? hours I think?)

We have people that come in from Philly -- again you would need to ride in (about 3 hours?)

Newark would be about 4.5 hours.

Harrisburg has an airport too and there are plenty of people in that area. That would be about a 3 hour drive from there.

My recommendation is to post that you are looking for a ride in X areas and see what you can find. Also, there are trains and buses too... If there are enough of you coming on the flight you can also rent a car.

Lots of choices!

Flying in to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, as long as there are flights from your area, really seems like the best solution if you are looking to fly. As close as it is to the Faireplay site I'm sure somebody will be able to pick you up along the way.

Aven said:
Newark would be about 4.5 hours.

Newark can be done in 3 hours if you don't hit traffic. But 4.5 hours is good to plan for.

Scott

Why is everyone talking about Newark? It's nowhere near the site. The link I posted above is for an airport that is just a little over an hour from the site. There's more of a chance of someone going by there since it's closer to the site. Please, check the link. :D

Agreed it's not near the site. But there may be more players near there willing to pick people up.

Scott

Just about everyone who comes from south and/or east of Faireplay has to go right by Scranton on their way to the site. That would make more people who could possibly pick someone up.

There's also the likelihood of a plane ticket costing more for flying farther.

I come up from Harrisburg and live very close to Harrisburg Int'l Airport and pass the Scranton airport on the way up. Depending on if I have to give other people a ride and how much room I have/you need I would be able to potentially pick you up at either place.

Christine and Henry, those are kind offers! Nice!

Scott

Well, I can't speak for the crazy biata lady - but I try to behave in a generally nice way. Keeps 'em off guard, you understand.
HtM

Ps: If you do, in fact, need me to come and get you - please email me (wolfshart at Gmail). I very infrequently check these boards. (When I do I post on every topic, as you can see from today.. hehe)

The major reason I picked out Newark is that it is a MAJOR airport. I would similarly recommend Philadelphia and (godforbid) JFK. Flying to major airports tends to be cheaper and can usually be done without a layover. Also, as Scott mentioned, a lot of people come from that area of New Jersey (or drive near it). That said, if he can get a good flight to Wilkes-Barre, more power to him.

Oh, and for the record, Jess apparently hasn't driven to Pittsburgh any time recently. The trip from here to the site is 5-6 hours, depending on traffic. And, last I checked, I am the only making that trip regularly.

-MS

Thanks for all the tips I'm looking into it.

Actually arriving in Scranton seems to add about $100 round trip for that extra hop which would save 4 hours of driving. I'm working on it and will be in touch when I find a date I think I can come make :D

Yeah, bigger airports are cheaper. Harrisburg has gotten better recently too so if you can find a reasonable fare and let me know what event you'd want to come to I should be able to pick you up and bring ya along.

Back