To End the Olothen War - Final Battle

Darkcrescent

Baron
Chicago Staff
Marshal
Greetings,

Durinn, Iggy and I met with Admiral Saban and we all took various steps in a combined plan to bring this war to a close. For starters, I have lured the troops of the Olothens to the Isle of Nex, where our stand will take place. It is here we will strike him down and have Waysides Navies attack from the sea. However some things....changed. The Great Leader has grown considerably in size. There appeared to be Orcs and Ogres clinging to his full plate armor, which cover him from head to toe.

The Olothens had developed boots with magnets in the soles which allowed soldiers to cling to the armor of the great leader as he fought, making him both a walking garrison of soldiers and a force himself. I couldn't steal any boots to examine further, but perhaps we could get our hands on some this upcoming market.

The plan is mostly simple, mostly. It's as follows:

Before the Olothen attack, Iggy would arrange for the adventurers to attack the purple boars and disrupt the psychic link of the Olothens. Admiral Saban would get in contact with the Wayside army and organize an operation to steal the magnet boots for use by the adventurers. The Adventurers would arrive at Nex shortly after lunch when the Olothen Navy was set to arrive. The adventurers would split into two teams with three harpoons each and using the magnet boots, climb up the Great Leader's legs and anchor harpoons into his knees, hips, and shoulders. Once that was done, the wayside army would be able to pull the Great leader to the ground and lash him
in place. With his head vulnerable, the adventurers would strike at his eye and hopefully be the end of it. So not quite simple, and it all depends on acquiring the Magnet boots and disrupting the link that allows communication. Hopefully Iggy can be successful.

-Binks
Captain of the Wayside Navy

Last edited:
We need to strike the boars at night, they will be well guarded. But will not rise up to attack us.

Renshi Iganthis Nachtfeuer

On the Isle there is the stone skinned creatures. If we found a way to communicated with them, they could help with additional fortifications on the island. They can be a useful ally.

-Durinn

Last edited:
I have a Universal Speech scroll available with intent to speak to these creatures. If someone wants to spearhead that, please do. I know Iggy, Dram, Vanya and a few others were there as well. Someone should be able to speak to them this way.

Binks

I won’t be able to make it to the April market, but I had a meeting with Duchess Crosspick and some military advisors from the army of Wayside. They told me that there is a plan in place to ambush and capture some of those boots, and that once we have them adventures can climb up the legs of the great leader to harpoon the legs and hips so that the army can pull him down.

- Sir Corbell Shepard

Durinn, Renshi Nachtfeur,

I will not be available Friday night, but the University and all its resources are at your disposal for contact and capture of the swine and negotiations with the Rockeaters. The Bunchberry Trade School has a number of animal husbandry experts, ranchers, and geologists who can aid in the efforts, as well as pens and protective housing.

Captain Binks,

In pursuit of the Saturday attack on the Great Leader, the Nachtfeur Academy has a number of military strategists and professionals who understand the mechanics of siege warfare. While a boarding party will eventually be needed to mount and dispatch the Great Leader, a barrage from catapults supported by ballista launching goblin-fire would seem to be far more effective in laying the Leader low. Even if it wouldn't bring the creature to his knees, it would effectively clear the decks of any Olothen personnel clinging to his rig. Such an attack could either be from landed hard-points on the Isle or from the naval blockade.

Should I mobilize the tacticians to this effect?

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Last edited:
The issue with artillery fire is the Great Leaders armor is to great for us to overwhelm at range, hence the need for the strike teams. Admiral Saban and myself have determined that only these strike teams have a chance of getting in between the gaps of the armor to bring him down so we may dispatch him.

Even if siege equipment would not bring the Great Leader down, it would remove any Olothen regulars clinging to his armour thus easing adventurer ascent. In addition, goblin-fire need not penetrate the cracks to have an effect on his well-being. Avoiding hand to hand combat while riding a colossus seems preferable.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University

That would work. My apologies I thought initially you were suggesting just to use artillery to bring him down. I agree that a preliminary bombardment would help the ascent. Once the strike teams start climbing we will need to redirect as to avoid friendly fire.

So to confirm,

-Friday night (kill or steal or free?)purple boars.
- Saturday lunch time armor delivers magnet boots
- Afternoon after boot delivery split town in half. Use harpoons and boots to climb Giant Great Leader who will have normal sized Orcs and Ogres walking around on him also with magnetic boots.
-Kill Giant Great Leader.

To hypothesize;

- is the Giant Great Leader in possession of the orcs and ogres? Could one shatter the Giant Great Leader's Orc to take one of them down?

- would the magnetic field go through a prison?

- Alterations, I would guess that gasses or even coatings would have to be delivered close to the nose or mouth or under the armor.

- Binding the Giant Great Leader, my guess is that he would rip free if not immune. But perhaps a pin timed right could make him fall over. Slow might be useful.

-Commands? I would think a Giant Great Leader who be the one giving commands rather than taking them.

-Curse, maybe, Paralysis would likely not last as long due to the mass of the muscles, Maybe silence, Weakness probably wouldn't make a difference, Destruction might work hard to tell, Doom? likely not, possibly his armor is made from Saward Shields.

-Eldritch Force, light? might get blinded. Shatter, couldn't hurt to try it, probably will work better on the boots of the orcs and ogres. Fortress to make his arms go up? Do you think he warded his armor like his armor is big enough to be a building? Try Multiple repels to trip him? He is from this plane I think so no to banish. Stun Limb May have an effect and worth trying.

-Evocation, I would think that Lightning would either harm or empower him, oh, what if The Giant Great Leader gets struck by lightning?

I could possibly reproduce the magnetic boots if we find a big enough natural magnet to magnetize any metal boots people have. Or perhaps a bound shard to use a magnet shard into something.

Magnets can be demagnetized by hitting them with a hammer a bunch of times, or heating them up.

-Thanks For clarifying and listening to my ideas.
Gertrude Clayheart

We have to kill the boars. If even a single one survives the link to the great leader will not be severed.

Ignathis

Renshi Nachtfeur,

I voiced my opinions previously to Captain Binks and I will speak them again as you are the strike leader on this mission. Killing an entire herd of innocent animals simply because they are tools in an opposing nation's military effort makes me exceedingly uncomfortable. If these animals are unique in their telepathic abilities, we would be extinguishing an entire species from Fortannis. If they are sentient, we would be committing genocide. Even if they're neither, we would be trading reasonable and ethical principles for mere expediency.

At the very least, we should exhaust other options before grinding them under the wheels of war. The Celestial Guild has access to extra-planar travel - I would warrant removing the animals from the material plane would sever the link to the Great Leader. The Earth Guild has a number of sphere renowned mentalist healers of biata and stone elf origin - perhaps they could work in concert to mentally-quarantine the animals thus anesthetizing the Great Leader's link. There are any number of adventurers who can converse freely with animals, perhaps the swine can even be reasoned with. If it's a matter of resources, the University will invest what is necessary.

We should not allow this war to rob us of our spirit or compassion.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University

All,

Phoenix Flight has had making a trip to gather resources from the Plane of Metal on our list of things to do for some time. Would it be beneficial for us to expedite that trip to gather extra Iron and similarly magnetic metals to construct these boots? We would be able to gather some Master Blacksmiths and take them to the great forge as well and hopefully between the resources we collect and the skilled labor we can provide we would be able to build many of these boots.

Guildmaster Firebrand

I volunteer to go to the great forge! That place is Hot..... and its still chilly this spring. I love that place.

I did not know about a Plane of Metal, that sounds fun.
Shopping list for Metals that can take a magnetic charge are;
Nickel​
Iron​
Cobalt (not the type spelled with a K)​
Steel​
Gadolinium​
Samarium​
Neodymium​
Copper can also be useful in the process. If you Find any of these metals that already have a charge it would be helpful.

And for a pet project if you see anything labeled Moridium, I would be very grateful and compensate you. Moridium is apparently a metal that is native to a different shard. A gentleman named Mistwalker Alabaster Thorn apparently brought some to pradamar some time ago.

Thanks,
Gertrude Clayheart
Master Alchemist, Brewer, Inscription, Smith
Journeyman Tinkerer
The Gruntled Dwarf

Renshi Nachtfeur,

I voiced my opinions previously to Captain Binks and I will speak them again as you are the strike leader on this mission. Killing an entire herd of innocent animals simply because they are tools in an opposing nation's military effort makes me exceedingly uncomfortable. If these animals are unique in their telepathic abilities, we would be extinguishing an entire species from Fortannis. If they are sentient, we would be committing genocide. Even if they're neither, we would be trading reasonable and ethical principles for mere expediency.

At the very least, we should exhaust other options before grinding them under the wheels of war. The Celestial Guild has access to extra-planar travel - I would warrant removing the animals from the material plane would sever the link to the Great Leader. The Earth Guild has a number of sphere renowned mentalist healers of biata and stone elf origin - perhaps they could work in concert to mentally-quarantine the animals thus anesthetizing the Great Leader's link. There are any number of adventurers who can converse freely with animals, perhaps the swine can even be reasoned with. If it's a matter of resources, the University will invest what is necessary.

We should not allow this war to rob us of our spirit or compassion.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University
Dramathin,
I did what I could to understand this link better. I have agreed with you in the past that wanton destruction would be inadvisable. However, it has been made clear to me that if any of these creatures survive, the link can be reestablished. We have no choice other than to remove them. And these are not defenseless creatures, when awake they are brutal predators that use their psychic powers to hunt local wildlife.

Ignathis

Back