To shake a nightmare.

Unto my fellow Acarthians,

Over ages long gone, the world of nightmares was known as a teacher. An exceptionally harsh educator to be true yet one that make sure the lessons stayed into the dawning light. While a pleasant dream would slip away by morning libations, a nightmare had the power to stay over hours and days. The guilty would hear the echoes of their deeds while the fearful would be made to conquer themselves. The wracked sleep would make fighters consider their field and would be despots realize the crumbling nature of hubris. But that was then. Now things are changing.

Once more the wheel of time has turned full circle. Last year we saw the first forays of the nightmare realm applying hook and claw into our physical world. We were made to be participants in an odd and convoluted game of escalating competition. Without rhyme or reason, many were kidnapped and tormented for the singular purpose of convincing them to consider who they would desire to be the champion of the nightmare realm. It is in these actions that I believe the ruling aspects may have lost their way and purpose. By demanding Acarthias choose who should lead its realm, nightmare has granted a formidable power to each of us. It could be a sick game or a plea to right their direction. Unfortunately this is where theory meets practice on a leap of faith.

To help realign nightmares to their true calling and hopefully reduce the kidnappings and tortures beyond the veil of sleep, I propose the following radical idea. When confronted by a shade or boogling of a nightmare aspect, inform it by your preferred method that you have already chosen the wolf Lucian for your vote. While I cannot guarantee the effect such a declaration will have, I believe it may cause pause and confusion at the very least which could allow for escape. It is my hope that this action will cause the creatures to leave you alone and unharmed.

I do not make this suggestion lightly. I understand that the terrors of nightmares can be formidable and raising a voice can get unwanted attention. Easier and safer to just remain quiet and hope the hunt passes. Know that I will not go gentle into that night. I intend to rage, rage against the building of the fright. I will raise my voice until they listen; made to remember their purpose and duty. You may think me crazy and I might just be for this. I'm open to better ideas but until then I'm asking for your vote.

~ Lucian
"Protect and support the prey for they shall be predators in time."

Or...another option is we all pony up and get some Elemental Slayers from the Mages Guild and when these elementals come knocking on our door once again this year, we tell them that we don't care about who is the lord of the Nightmares. We push back and tell them to take their sick game away from our plane and back that up with steel and spell. Too often do we let others dictate what happens to us and our society. I'm done with it.

Squire Kendrick

Last edited:
Revised: Thank you for your excellent counterpoint, Good Squire Kendrick.

Dame Katherine Albright
Knight of the Ducal Court of Acarthia

Squire Kendrick,

I look forward to discussing this tactic and its logistics with you. The direct questions I have will be how many elemental slayer spells are available and what will be the cost in order to make sure everyone can afford one. At minimum I expect we would need to provide this blade power to one out of five people which is an average adventuring group size. To truly drive the point we would need an overpowering response which would be to power every blade wielded.

I have a delivery for the Mage's Guild Friday evening for the meeting so I will endeavour to catch you before it.

Lucian

My only concern with the plan for casting such is if the creatures are truly elemental in nature, or if only some are elemental in nature, and so forth.

I have not heard of or seen a direct confirmation from last year.

Frank
Squire in Service to Baron Eldred Morningtide of Tiatar

For benefit of those freshly arrived in New Acarthia since last Fall: Around this time of year, spirits of nightmares prowl the areas around our Duchess' estate. At this time of year, a Wizard Lock or a Ward will not stop creatures of nightmare from entering your abode. There are wards with the power of the season and traditions from years passed unnumbered whereby one might carve a locally-grown pumpkin, risen from this land, into the shape of a jack-o-lantern to scare away the nightmare spirits themselves.* This magic does not guard the jack-o-lantern itself, however, so be careful it doesn't get stolen.

Set watches while you sleep. Have those who sleep lightest sleep closest to your doors. Leave a lamp burning at your bedside table. Sleep with sword in hand, armor on, and magic readily summoned. And get the Wizard Lock or Ward cast anyway since jack-o-lanterns don't stop mundane creatures and ne'er-do-wells.

Dame Katherine Albright
Knight of the Ducal Court of Acarthia

[* OOG note: You're responsible for your own jack-o-lantern physrep. It does not need to be a real pumpkin; a fake one is okay. Most cabins carve real ones, though, and it's a neat decorative tradition. You need the tag for the IG pumpkin to get the magical protection effect of the jack-o-lantern IG.]

Back