To Tarndale,

Draven

Count
**This dream is broadcast to all Tarndalians and adventurers within the Valley, including Fortune's Followers**

Tarndalians,

After the events of this past weekend, I find myself at battle with a number of emotions. Profound sadness for the friend that I'll never see again. Anger, at the one who thought only of the nobility he would harm, and believed it heroism. Disappoinment in the dissipation of the town guard, and understanding at how it came to happen.

So, forgive me if the following words are unusually harsh in comparison to my normal temperment.

I am exhausted of witnessing my people being bombarded by blame, suspicion, and accusation at the hands of those too ignorant to understand the perils we face. We came to this valley nearly two years ago, and what we found was a land where sentient beings were penned up like cattle by a host of Corrupted Sarr. Seeking to free the lot of you from their actions, we have uncovered further evils, buried deep within your own history. In our quest to right these wrongs, and to help you all, we have come into a battle that has tested us time and time again. It is true that some of these battles have cost you dearly. None of my people have ever, to my knowledge, denied that. But as we are capable of seeing these evils for what they are, and what threat they pose to all life in this valley, we had no choice but to fight these battles, and to eradicate them, if only so that you might have something of a future.

Your people are scared. They should be. I am scared. I do not wish more of my dearest friends and allies to lose their existences, but that wish, that fear, is not nearly enough reason to not fight.

Whether the Guard continues or not, I will guide your families to their homes in the dark, along with those who will help me do so. But I will shoulder no more of your complaints. If you fear for the safety of your families, and do not trust us to see to your well-being, then find someone to teach you how to fight. I will gladly point you to someone who will train you. Learn the blade. Learn the wand. Learn Earth Magic if you are approved to do so. Learn some other method to contribute to your safety, but do not waste our time or your own with finger-pointing.

The portal is closed. We're all stuck here together for the forseeable future. There is work to be done. Either be part of the solution, or don't become part of the problem.

-Zeth

Tarndalians, Andarians, and travelers,
I hope you heed Mr. Zeth's words. He has been good to us, as have many travelers. I know I have not always trumpeted the praises of the Andarians and I am still suspect of some of them but we can't let the actions of a few spoil the bunch. If the portal travelers are trapped here we need to work together to survive.
My hope is that we can establish a new town guard made up equally of Tarndalians and travelers. With leadership on both sides involved. We drew a line in the sand and we have echoed the sentiments of us vs. them but I fear we were wrong... Mr. Zeth I would be honored if you would help head up the new town-guard and hope miss Kasuni knows, despite my objections to some of her actions, she did a good job defending our people. Many of us walked under the stars for the first time because of her. We shouldn't forget that...
Because of many of your counsel I am sober, I have my wife back, my family, and a clarity I have never felt. I thank you. I am saddened and sorry to hear that some of you will be abandoning us or refusing to help, maybe we have earned that... I don't know. I encourage us all to truly evaluate what's important, survival. If not for the travelers the blight would have remained and we would have likely starved... The combined efforts of the travelers and the Losua saved us! And if the others won't do it, know the Mercators thank you and so does our little one on the way.
With us all stuck here, we are all denizens of the valley. The Mercator doors will be shut to no one willing to aid in the fight. Let us dispense with the us vs. them attitude. The travelers are here to stay (so it seems) and that means we all have greater foes to face. The echoes, the corrupt, both more of an issue than any of our in-fighting. I just hope the damage done can be repaired.

Respectfully,

Rufus Mercator

Back