To the hosts of the Tourney

Are the lists and rules for the various competitions of the invidual tourey decided, and if they are would one be so kind as to anounce them in advance? I plan on being in attendance, would like to prepare myself as best I am able.

Thank you.
Amaranthus Landcharmer

Goodman Amaranthus,

My friend, Slethglyn Kerios, posted a list of tournament events in the most recent issue of your local periodical, "The Ashbury Times."

Thank you for your interest in the tournament,
Merethir Sila Avariel
Master of Feasts

Ah, thank you. I travel a lot, so I do not always have access to a copy of the times. I shall endevor to find one once I get closer to Fairdale.
Amaranthus Landcharmer

Amaranthus!

Xu says hi! He's looking forward to seeing you in Icenia. He wanted me to tell you that.

Ok, bye now.

Michiko

My feet have not yet reached Fairedale, but my dreams travel more quickly. If you have any questions about the tournament young biata, I will answer freely.

And, while I have your ear, let me stress that all events have participation rewards this year. Some are more exciting than others, but I want everyone to be rewarded for their enthusiasm, whether they succeed or not.

Master Kerios

Master Kerious,

I have two questions for you concerning the timing and nature of the Spell Casting Competition. First, will the format be a large event with participants engaging all at once, or bracket style one-on-one competitions? Second, when during the festivities will this competition be held? If I am to participate, my spells memorized will differ from my usual selection and I wish to only deviate on the day of the contest.

Thank you for your time,

Qiu Jun-Wu
Guildmaster, Finn Castle Healer’s Guild

Amaranthus,

It has been to long since we spent any appreciable time together. I seek you out as soon as Michiko and I arrive in the Fairedale area.

Pantzike !!! Or shall I say Qui Jun-Wu,

It has been entierly to long. It will be fantastic to see you again. We didn't get enough time to talk at Marcus's funeral. I haven't been to Caldaria scince the Full Moon turned me into that.....thing and after I was cured her Hounds would stalk me everytime I steped foot on the continent. But I hear she has been destroyed, so perhapes after the Tourney I will accompany you back. I have been meening to return to Nykia to see my family for a while. It will be fantastic to see you. We have much to catch up on. I'll bring tea scince I imagine your a fan of that now, do you take Earl Grey?

Amaranthus Landcharmer

Young brother, your questions are wise and telling. For both sake of tradition and practicality, the spellcaster's battle will be held much like in previous years. All will wage battle simultaneously and the battle will commence shortly before evening repast, shortly after the hour that most of the learned study their lore. This provides the most opportunity for each participant to be at their prime and the least chance to interfere with the battles that may occur during the average day of heroic adventurer.

As a reminder, high magic and the spells of the highest circle are permissible this year, but rituals and magic items are not. Also, this is a competition of individual heroes, not groups, so none should collaborate before or during the competition. From the tales that the trees and grass have spoken to me, I have no doubt that the honorable heroes of Ashbury will maintain these standards.

I hope that helps you prepare for this competition and hope you will participate in other competitions as well. Should the future bring changes to anything I have said, your dreams will fill again with more of my prattling.

Master Kerios

from Ashbury times :

Spellcaster’s Battle: All spells and high magic abilities are permissible, except necromancy and Circle of Power. No rituals, alchemy, magic items, or weapons are permitted. As soon as a participant is knocked unconscious, killed, or incapacitated (including the Bind and Silence spells), the participant is out of the competition.

Squire Sym

Thank you, my dilantedhil friend. I do not wield magic and did not consider that. Thankfully, as my edhain friend pointed out, the rules already covered my slip of the tongue. As well, all is resolved now and I can slumber peacefully beneath the stars, confident that the event will occur without difficulty.

Master Kerios

Are Death spells permissible? Those who have removed their spirits from their bodies whould have a large advantage if this were the case. It is not seemly to disqualify those who have done so from competing. Perhaps if it were allowed that those who have cast the spirit removing ritual were required to carry the recptacles with them?

-Sheriff Davin Holst

Death is as natural a state as life. There is no restriction on death spells. Your question of removed spirits once again taxes my knowledge of spells and spellcraft, but I believe my philosophy of enforcing the spirit of the rules can aid my thoughts. If a spell would normally remove someone from the competition and only the use of a ritual prevents that spell from doing so, then I would expect that participant to gracefully step out of the competition, rather than force me to take the unpleasant step of disqualifying them. Honor and good sportsmanship have ever been paramount qualities of heroes and tournaments for ages past have highlighted those who displayed these qualities. I expect no less.

Master Kerios

So, Master Kerios, if someone were hit by a Death spell who is immune to it because of a ritual, would you accept having them at that point voluntarily take themselves out, or are you saying they should not even enter in the first place?

Sir Eros

The more participants the better. And, as I understand it, rituals of that nature are not easily removed. Let the participant enjoy the competition. And, if hit by life-rending magics, let that participant gracefully and honorably concede. By any chance, my dilantedhil friend, would you be participating in this event? Your knowledge of the fine art of spellcraft seems superb.

Master Kerios

Me be thinking of entering caster's battle but me not want to look at all kinds of celestial caster stuck in der own prisons. Am really not different from sitting in Circle of power. What be verdict on dem?
Ursul

Fear not, friend. If a caster is imprisoned, they have lost, no matter who cast the imprison.

Also, I fear I misreported the time of the spellcaster's battle. My liege wished to observe and could not make the hour originally planned. Instead, it will Sunday morning.

In fact, the full schedule is the hunt and challenge of champions will begin about an hour of high sun on Saturday. The race and archery competitions will also occur then. The trivia and entertainment will be held shortly after dusk the same day. Finally, the hunt and challenge of champions will end about an hour before high sun on Sunday. The combat and spellcaster's battle will occur then. The hero of the tournament will also be announced.

I will send someone ahead to post the hunt list in the tavern before the hunt begins and participants may search in advance, but nothing may be turned in until the official start of the hunt.

Master Kerios

My recipe for the cooking competition nears completion, nd tho I know there is no stove avalible for the making of food, is there a small cooking fire wich could be used to heat the individual portaions on which I will be judged? My meal, tho good cold, would be far better served warm.

OOG: I am asking if it can be heated in the microwave.

Thank you
Amaranthus

To all involved in hosting the tournament Imladari and Ashban alike, I thank you for you efforts. Your tournament was an absolute success.

Qiu Jun-Wu
Healer's Guild Master, Finn Castle Healer's Guild

Back