Tournament things

Jesse Grabowski

Squire
Marshal
Hey folks,

This year's tournament is going to be a fake tournament.
What do I mean?

IG, pretend you still think it is going to happen.
OOG, we have something that is going to happen IG that will not allow the tourney to actually run.

September event will take place in Tiatar, where the "duchess wishes to hold the tournament this year." Unbeknownst to her, plot has bigger plans. Something will go wonky and the tourney will not actually happen this year. That is all I can say about it!!

Sweet!

Thanks for the heads up, Jesse!

Trace

Huzzah!

Whats the motivation to go for characters that dont follow the nobility or tournement around? Any kind of teaser towards that?

Last edited:
Where is the tourney being held specifically? Is it the same rules as two years ago? I just want to know for IG reasons (I know it isn't going off).

Sapphire Keep, Tiatar

Trace

Thanks Trace! Now just the question on the tourney rules...

Im still waiting for a response on this- WHats the motivation for going for people who arent interested in the tournement, the nobility, or, now, apparently this time travel plot? because right now I feel like a table-top piece thats being picked up and moved around at someone else's discression. I really dislike it especially since we have only had 2 normal local games this year.

Hi B,

Just curious what are your expectations/requirements for something to feel like a "Normal" game?

The option to not engage in an all-encompassing time travel plot and be able to expect a good time is pretty much it. I feel like a lot of us are used as window-dressing or props (or canon fodder) in the persuit of plots that dont matter to a lotof us. Im not saying give everyone personal plot, just provide a setting (a world and stuff in it) and let people make their choices on where they go or what they do and how they go about their play experience and what they get involved with WITHIN that setting- but big forced plots like this where everyone HAS to be somewhere (or somewhen, in this case) or not play at all, do not account for that. Thats writeing for tabletop, but we arent a tabletop game, we are large diverse population with vastly different interests and goals in and out of character.

Last edited:
- I should clarify, I do NOT expect a change of gameplan at this point by any means, I just object to what IS being done and am hopeing things will be different in the future. It wouldnt even be so bad if we had more normal games this year under our belt.

Now I agree that the 2 lost march games were not a normal game, and it was designed that way.

Can you help me better understand your point of view, I still don't feel like I have a clear grasp of what you mean by a normal game?
I am asking this out of true desire to understand your position on all of this better.

Is a normal game based on its in game location?
Perhaps based on its in game schedule of events, like guild meetings and Court?
Out of game items, like the script that allows for wave fights at certain times, and mods at other times?
Is it the players involved, or the characters?
Is it any game where there are no mechanics that remove a choice from your character?
Is it the theme of the event, if so what themes are normal and which are not?

Are there other things that make up normal events for you?

In my writing and planning for this event, I have trying to ensure there is content for as many groups of people as I can.
It sounds like you will not be attending and I am sorry for that, feel free to reach out if I can maybe help you change your mind.
I am still very interested in your point of view as I am sure you are not alone in your feelings and I want to do all I can to make the event as enjoyable for everyone as I can.

Izzy

Essentially- to me, to the folks im taling to, normal is Being in New Acarthia, handleing issues then and there, in a context that is generally steady in terms of setting, where people can persue a variety of different agendas or pastimes (and that is things like modding, meetings, court, and things that directly matter to the efforts and aspirations of the characters currently in play), without the trouble of giant over-arcing things that are forceing them to be in any given place at any given time as a group.

Essentially provide a setting, put stuff into that setting (any theme, dosnt matter) and make it so people have the option to engage in certain aspects of any given game.

Now some people like more hands-on than that but when im talking normal I am literally just meaning: The world setting as we usually play it. New Acarthia, in the city we've been meeting in for a few years now, with stuff in it that is sometimes more forceful, sometimes less so, but you have a choice to avoid the things taht dont interest you- for the most part. People's battlesfor some kinda stone or whatev?-pfft, sounds like an over-there problem. That lich?- just power walk away from it. That dude goin through a mirror?-cool he goes and does that im over here not worrying about and RPing with my buds at camp all casual without urgency.

In comparison to the other special-stuff thats been done:

Death isles- not normal because you either had to have your character go there and do what was provided, ornot play. What if your character wouldnt ever go there? what if your character wasnt interested in the nobility's lead. There was no real motivator
for commoners to go outside of "lets explore the thing!"... but what if that isnt your bag?

Lost March- Not normal because it was again another totally different location, totally differnt set of circumstances. You had to be willing to be part of that particular scope, or not play.

Time-travel-all-encompassing- not normal because you are dealing with being back in time, having to worry about whats going on with that, not screwing up the timeline, and being mindful of all these other factors that are involved and it is simply not the usual setting. Not a problem if optional! problem if its not....

^its not that any of these things are inherently wrong, im just frustrated because there have been 2 games in wich we have played our normal context this year, and I'll echo Noriin where it sorta feels like our real game, our characters lives, things that arent these crazy things, are on hold. I would haev atleast liked some more casual time to enjoy in usual fashion with my freinds and get some personal stuff setup and going (teahouse for instance, everything is so chopped up I cant make it happen realistically and get that steam going) before this new set of weirdness yanno?

I like a more casual open-world game experience where I can choose what I wanna do and not be on a plot's agenda. I dont like scheduled plot-arcs that I dont have a choice but to ride that keep me from that casual experience. Its a form aof railroading, its not all that fun for me because I feel like I am a piece on a board or in a play, not really a thing with my own agency.

...also you have no idea how appreciative of you asking questions. Thankyou.

Last edited:
I appreciate this feed back it helps me understand more of our game, as well as yourself and I hope that helps me grow at least as a player, perhaps more.

Thank you,

Alex, yes it was announced at closing ceremony in August. We will all act as if the tournament is going to take place and follow onto the plot of time travel as it unfolds.

The time travel references were hinted mainly in-game at the August event, so you wouldn't have had access to that information, Alex - You haven't missed anything that you were supposed to know about.

Trace

Back