Tournament!

This is my out of game encouragement to participate in tournament. The more teams, the more fun it is. And, no matter how much you may think you don't have a chance, as long as you can place at least 5th in at least one event, you will be compensated for your time (no lose situation). Rah, rah, sis, boom, bah.

-MS

ClawsofSlash said:
I think there should be a cooking competition.

That would actually rock, and provide food for the Ball. Anyone else willing to make in-period food? I'm sure I could strongarm the HOP into providing a nifty prize. (as this would likely not be part of the actual tournement)
-toddo

It would be cool to have it be a dish you need to make there. I've already got ideas, though I'm also planning on being my chef, so I want to provide some food as it is. (For those who don't eat meat, I have plans for you too.)

Toddo said:
ClawsofSlash said:
I think there should be a cooking competition.

That would actually rock, and provide food for the Ball. Anyone else willing to make in-period food? I'm sure I could strongarm the HOP into providing a nifty prize. (as this would likely not be part of the actual tournement)
-toddo

You actually think you have to strongarm me into doing anything that involves eating?

However as Toddo mentioned this would be an individual type competition, I wouldn't include it in the tournament itself.

Stay tuned for a response on this one. But if it happens, I get to be a judge!

pls let me know before I spend money on the food for the ball

~Erica

Plan as though this competition weren't happening, because even if it does, we can't guarantee how many entrants there will be, or if they bring large enough helpings for everyone. This would just be extra really.

Wish I had an oven on site to use... I would make the devastating entry in the food competition...Its hard to resist the Spanish Pork!
He he he

Who knows .. I might still make it

ClawsofSlash said:
That's right... What all is there in the kitchen already? I have some supplies that can travel with me.

I think you are best to assume that you don't have access to the kitchen facilities (outside of maybe the sink).

Back on topic. Participate in the tournament!

-MS

Please note: IF we do anything involving cooking, it would have to be something that could be brought with you to the event ready to serve - at the MOST it could possibly be reheated (if YOU bring the sterno, crockpot, whatever). That kitchen is not NEARLY big enough for all the work that people would need to do, and there is ONE oven. I am not instigating a war in the kitchen about who gets to use it, what temperature it's at etc. etc.

When is the ball taking place? For those of us in the tournament AND wanting to participate in the ball, it helps to know the timing of things (like entertainment) so we know how to prepare.

J

I believe the ball would be after Friday logistics since by then the majority of the tournament will be done.

Just my opinion from someone not part of the ducal ball comittee.

JIM

kitsune85 said:
I believe the ball would be after Friday logistics since by then the majority of the tournament will be done.

JIM

With the exception of the word "Friday", that sentence made sense to me.

-MS

kitsune85 said:

Why would the Duke need a committee for his balls?

The problem with after "Saturday logistics" is the following: in the past spell casters battle, entertainment and riddles takes place Saturday night. Now you can add in a ball into all of that (we have done it before) but I just am curious the order of the events of Saturday night.

I mainly ask because there is also going to be an after ball party (sponsored by a PC) and there are outfits you have to wear for the ball... that may not be appropriate to wear for spell casters or entertainment, and vice versa.

And before people start sharing their opinion as to when it should take place (which is totally fine to discuss) I would like to note that really it is the plot committee that decide on the order of events and I would ultimately like to hear from then what they have decided.

J

After logistics is spellcasters, entertainment and trivia competitions and then the Ball.

Players should understand that the Tournament events are basically not battle weekends. There will be times when there won't be a lot of fighting. (I expect that during the Ball there will be small groups of random monsters out there but they will be in the woods, and away from distracting the Ball.

Some weekends are really dangerous and battle heavy and some aren't. This is one of the ones that isn't, so come with that in mind.

Aven said:
The problem with after "Saturday logistics" is the following: in the past spell casters battle, entertainment and riddles takes place Saturday night. Now you can add in a ball into all of that (we have done it before) but I just am curious the order of the events of Saturday night.

I mainly ask because there is also going to be an after ball party (sponsored by a PC) and there are outfits you have to wear for the ball... that may not be appropriate to wear for spell casters or entertainment, and vice versa.

And before people start sharing their opinion as to when it should take place (which is totally fine to discuss) I would like to note that really it is the plot committee that decide on the order of events and I would ultimately like to hear from then what they have decided.

J

According to the super-secret, not yet open to the public (but will be soon) newsletter, the three events you listed are scheduled for Saturday night (sorta, riddles is now trivia). I am working with Mike V. on format for trivia and decisions about that are being made with an eye for brevity (while still being fun). Entertainment will always be long (nothing to be done about that). The spell casters battle is, all things being equal, a very quick little event. If we can manage to discourage people from going off site during logistics (food at the ball may help with this), and possibly try to start logistics early (say closer to 5 than 6), I'd say the ball could reasonably start at about 10PM. I am not the primary decision maker on that stuff, so I am really just spitballing here (do not take this as promises).

-MS

Back