Town Map of Crocevia Fatuae

If anyone wants a copy of the Crocevia Fatuae town map, please send me a word of confirmation *no later than* two weeks prior to an event. Currently, it isnt much to look at, but it will get better as things move on.

Cheapo Black and White prints on Destroyed Easily paper will run about $7 for a 36 in. by 54 in. map. It goes a little cheaper as you go down in size, but, as plot learned, the map is a little ludicrous at any size under 10 inches wide.

Color maps on high quality untearable-by-hand material will run much more expensively... however, its color and on untearable-by-hand material. The cheapest printing would be about $80 on a glossy finish material.

Currently, there is only the roads, coastline, noble estates, and major features and regions of the area. Later on, there will be house symbols, geographical details, additional icons, as well as a blow-up of the Adventurers' Quarter area (in-game area).

So, who wants a map?

I believe plot needs to ok this for distribution, as maps are incredibly difficult to acquire in-game.

-Dan

Doh. My bad.

So... put a hold on that thought till further notice, folks.

That seems silly. Unless plot is willing to phyrep the entire region, there is no way for players to rely on their own memories of what the town is like, particularly with distances and the like. Unless, of course, we just make a map with everything not physrepped being at The Desert.

A town map that is publicly available to the players, especially those of us that have played characters in this region for over 2 years, and evenmoreso those who have characters with histories from this town, should have that information available freely. A map isn't "Here is Gregor's cabin, this is where he sleeps, and he has 20 gold under his bunk". Its like the map seen in the command room: This region is blah, its this direction, this relative distance, etc. There is nothing game breaking or innately mysterious to be preserved here.

jpariury said:
A town map that is publicly available to the players, especially those of us that have played characters in this region for over 2 years, and evenmoreso those who have characters with histories from this town, should have that information available freely. A map isn't "Here is Gregor's cabin, this is where he sleeps, and he has 20 gold under his bunk". Its like the map seen in the command room: This region is blah, its this direction, this relative distance, etc. There is nothing game breaking or innately mysterious to be preserved here.
Actally I want my map to tell me where your money is..:)

However I think what plot wants to say is, how much detail can the map have, not that no one can have it. If your a charicter who has access to this info (as some of us are) I think they will greenlight it. Also, if you do work with plot and ryan, the maps may be slightly diffrent for diffrent people.
so in short, you can prob have a map, but let plot figure out some of the details:)

Kauss said:
Actally I want my map to tell me where your money is..:)

However I think what plot wants to say is, how much detail can the map have, not that no one can have it. If your a charicter who has access to this info (as some of us are) I think they will greenlight it. Also, if you do work with plot and ryan, the maps may be slightly diffrent for diffrent people.
so in short, you can prob have a map, but let plot figure out some of the details:)

Dan is talking about about a comlete map, which would need plot's okay, not to mention cartography was not an exact science and the common map did not have acurrate maps. (at least based on the research I've done... there were lots of picture maps that did have accurate measurements and such)

I will work with Ryan and we will see if we can set up a basic map (similar to one used, but with some of the new... landscaping... poor Sindaco!) that would be available, however, maps do cost, so there may be a price attached. We could possiblly arrange for people to hand draw maps from a basic map as well if they don't want to buy one. Maps with lots of secret stuff would have to be approved by plot, as would a world map.

If I could get a small OOG map of the town, just so I--Hayley the player--could have more of an idea of the places Ellie goes, that would greatly help my ability to RP her. Sometimes it gets a bit difficult to RP a character that is supposed to live in a town, but OOG, I don't know very much about where/what everything is (even if it's supposed to be somewhere that Ellie visits everyday). Like I had no clue that the orphanage is so close to the tavern, nor did I realize that South Crocevia is really to the Southwest. Knowing details like this would really, really help to make my character more realisitic.

By the way, the map looked beautiful, Ryan!

L.E. said:
If I could get a small OOG map of the town, just so I--Hayley the player--could have more of an idea of the places Ellie goes, that would greatly help my ability to RP her. Sometimes it gets a bit difficult to RP a character that is supposed to live in a town, but OOG, I don't know very much about where/what everything is (even if it's supposed to be somewhere that Ellie visits everyday). Like I had no clue that the orphanage is so close to the tavern, nor did I realize that South Crocevia is really to the Southwest. Knowing details like this would really, really help to make my character more realisitic.

By the way, the map looked beautiful, Ryan!

On a similar topic, would people object to travel time being inforced? Now that we can say the Magistratium is X miles away, you need to be out of game for x time if you are going there. That time could be taken by rping with each other or double hooking. Thoughts?

I have no problems, ever, with being asked to NPC before and after I get to do a mod. I'd much rather do that than sit in NPC camp waiting around. I love being double-hooked for a mod, and I enjoy taking a break from the drama and angst of PCing.

I think the map that was in use does just what you said, Jim. It provides basic "it's over yonder thatways that far, as the crow flies" information. It's general knowledge. Same with the old world map for Iyave. Everything else can be gotten IG until or unless it becomes a common travel area.

Jim said:
Dan is talking about about a comlete map, which would need plot's okay, not to mention cartography was not an exact science and the common map did not have acurrate maps. (at least based on the research I've done... there were lots of picture maps that did have accurate measurements and such)

Scrying wasn't an exact science back then either. :p

But I do see your point.

-Gid

I don't think anyone would mind having set times to do things as long as those things are allowed to get done, and since I've come up with some pretty stupid things to do and never been told I can't at least try them....
I think two things could be done and let the players pick which one they'll do to make this a reality:
1) Take said map and figure out travel times from all the various points on the map to all the other points. If no one else wants to do it, I will no problem. You could even make three times for each. Stealth mode, normal mode, best possible speed mode, and these could also factor in whether someone gets someplace unscathed or attacked along the way.
2) Figure the distances, then we measure the distance from say, the logs around plot camp to the bench on the beach and back, and tell players if they want to try and improve the standard time to actually do that route X amount of times and then report to plot so if someone really wants to run their buns off in order to get it done ten minutes faster, all the more power to em.
Just some thoughts. Use em or laugh at em, as you will.

Jeff

jpariury said:
I have no problems, ever, with being asked to NPC before and after I get to do a mod. I'd much rather do that than sit in NPC camp waiting around. I love being double-hooked for a mod, and I enjoy taking a break from the drama and angst of PCing.

I second that! Also, I noticed that the map is scaled in miles, so if we figure out how long it takes to walk or run a mile, it'll be easy to figure out how long it takes to get from one area to another.

Also, I really like the idea of travel time because it adds realism to game. This is especially effective if there is a set travel time for each place (i.e. it doesn't change depending on which plot member's running the mod). I highly support the idea of using the map to enforce this.

L.E. said:
I second that! Also, I noticed that the map is scaled in miles, so if we figure out how long it takes to walk or run a mile, it'll be easy to figure out how long it takes to get from one area to another.

Also, I really like the idea of travel time because it adds realism to game. This is especially effective if there is a set travel time for each place (i.e. it doesn't change depending on which plot member's running the mod). I highly support the idea of using the map to enforce this.

Figuring out the times won't be a big issue, I just didn't want to get thunderous disaproval if we started saying "It takes this long to get to the Coralli State" so you can double hook or rp the walk.

I know how long it takes to walk a mile... I just have to figure it out for horses, which I imagine should not be too hard.

I wouldn't mind double-hooking or RPing travel time either. I do like the idea of a map being available, though, so we can at least know the landscape. My character has been here for about 3 years and never knew where the magistratum or the various estates were. That was embarassing... :/

I really can't see anyone making a stink about that, Jim. It's been one of the weak points in plot consistancy for a while, just hasn't been one that caused real issues. I think we all realize that since it hasn't been universal that if we do codify it now no one will go "but it used to only take me ten minutes to get to the Sindaco's" especially since we HAVE seen a map that was already scaled in miles and most of the primary destinations were laid out there so those of us who glimpsed it can say "yup, that's how far it's supposed to be". As long as once you guys put up the chart in monster camp no one on plot goes "ya know what, go ahead and go back into game cause we got nothing for you to do for half an hour" and it's universally enforced, it should really bring nothing but better game dynamics to an already pretty darn good game :D

Jeff

Back