Traps with the New Game Room Mechanic

Brooks

Explosive traps are now more deadly! Who hoo.

If I have two explosive traps (20 points), on the opposite ends of the same game room (1 game room), each with its own trigger. Then one trap goes boom!

What happens next?

1) both traps go off at the same time, since the explosive trap acts like a shatter. And if you shatter a trap, it goes boom. Meaning the whole room takes 40 point explosive.

2) only one trap goes off, the other one is destroyed. The whole room takes 20 point explosive

If it is number one, then will one trap avoidance get you free and clear? Since it acts as one trigger. (even though shared triggers is only talked about in gas and scroll traps)

Thanks
edited to make sure it is clear that i'm asking about the same, one size, game room

Last edited:
Both will go off it's just a matter of when. Same can apply for scroll traps, dispell trap then explosive. Bye bye wall of force. I assumed it was based on the one that the player triggered or the marshals discretion. Either way a hold needs to be called.
Also keep in mind if the mod takes up 2 game rooms, 2 must be set. So there is precedent for multiple traps

Question: The Ritual "Trap Avoidance" is useful against one trap, yes? If five 20 pt explosive traps go off in a room, that is 5 Trap Avoidance charges that need to be expended in order to take no damage, yes? Or do you only need the 1 trap avoidance for the whole room?

As harsh as it is, it should be 5 Trap Avoidance charges. The reasoning is that if it were 5 different scroll traps you'd have to avoid all 5, the premise continues on to 5 of the same type of trap. Especially since it takes 5 times as long/as many people, to do the set up.

As harsh as it is, it should be 5 Trap Avoidance charges. The reasoning is that if it were 5 different scroll traps you'd have to avoid all 5, the premise continues on to 5 of the same type of trap. Especially since it takes 5 times as long/as many people, to do the set up.

Hmm. I'm actually in disagreement with my marshal colleague, here.

If a room is ten game rooms and you have the appropriate amount of traps set up, a single TA would still avoid the traps, as they're treated as a single occurrence (or, at least, this is how I've seen it ruled).

I don't think it would be any different if you had ten traps set up in a single game room that all went off together; I think that would still be a single Trap Avoidance.

The TA ritual is, sadly, pretty unclear about this. It should probably be expanded to include how it works in regards to multiple traps/game rooms.

The standard for area traps seems to be that if multiple area traps have the same trigger, then a single instance of the relevant defense will block all of them. So in your example with 5 explosive traps, it would seem like it depends on whether one trap blowing up the other four counts as a single trigger for all of them, two triggering events (the original trigger plus one for the explosion triggering the other four), or five distinct triggering events.

I've started a conversation about this on the private Marshal forum; I do advise that future questions about the 2.0 system be asked on the Marshal Questions section.

2.0 is live now, and we should use that standard process for getting clarification on rulings, and we can engage ARC if needed!

ARC has clarified that multiple traps with multiple game-rooms would equate to a single Trap Avoidance; thematically, those multiple traps are powering up a single trap.

I have asked for further clarification if it is different if there are multiple traps inside a smaller game room, but I suspect it's going to be the same; those multiple traps are going to combine into a single trap (whether or not they're off the same trigger or are triggering each other), and thus you burn a single TA for the single trap.

Tangent: Since Dispel is in the Protection group, Dispel Scrolls can't be placed in scroll traps.

Thanks Ken. Totally forgot that "I Protect You With A Dispell"

Back