Traveling in January

Slice

Fighter
As the event creeps closer I just wanted to remind people that the drive out to Brooks is probably going to be a little rough this time of year, especially if you have to go down 84 through the Gorge. That being said there will be a lot of folks traveling that way. I would suggest car pooling as much as possible, and possibly even arranging some car caravans. The Gorge often gets icy this time of year so having a set of back up chains and a buddy with you are great ideas. Having a few phone numbers for people leaving at around that same time as you is also not a bad idea, keep in mind though there are a few areas where reception is not the greatest. Please feel free to use this thread to coordinate rides, caravans, etc. I know I will be posting on here probably early next week once I figure out what my schedule is, as I too would rather not get stuck in a snow drift in the Gorge. At least not without proper snowman building assistance.

I've never done this trek in the winter. Does anyone have any suggestions about taking I-90 to 97? Are the passes usually okay? Or should we avoid that altogether and go I-5 through Portland to 84?

My experience in the past is that if you are coming from Seattle the best route would be to go I-90 to I-82 to HWY-97 towards Goldendale and hope that Eastern Washington doesn't have a fresh layer of snow/ice. I recommend checking the WSDOT cameras before traveling.

I know I plan you come from the burlington area, down through seattle if anyone is heading this way I would love to caravan or carpool. I think i have one other person perhaps two with me. So there will be a good caravan start

we've already got two cars, I believe, but I bet we could add another. We'll be leaving the seattle area kinda early (I'm hoping for before 1 so as to avoid as much ice as possible). If you're up for that, or if you'd rather just have the number of another driver on a similar stretch of road, PM me and i'd be happy to hook you up. :)

Andy should be driving the van down so we will be caravaning with you Barb. We can haul all the gear to free up seats in your car. We can seat 4 comfortably with all the gear and I believe we have 3. Jamie is coming up independently since he lives in Pullman this time of year. Not sure if Mike or Brittany are carpooling/caravaning.

it sucks being here in clatskanie, where like no one knows where you are, it's a good place to go during a zombie apocolypse though

So I'm going north from Eugene, with a fairly flexible schedule. Lets get a caravan going from the south. I know Jimmy comes from this area, and Holly, JP, Matt, and Joe are along the way, as are Cymryc and Bryan.

I'm going to be available to trek north any time after 9:30 in the morningk. I plan to head north to Portland via I-5, then either cut East via I-205 to I-84 or, if there are Portland folks that want to join in on the wagon train, I can go all the way up I-5, we can meet, then hit I-84 east. If you wanna join the (Gypsy) caravan, post here and I'll PM you my phone number so we can plan it out.

As far as my space goes, I've got no space for gear but I can take a person.

I will be interested in joining the Eugene/Corvallis/Salem/Portland caravan.
Timing is open for me, but will depend upon the # of pick ups I will be doing. If I am going up to Clatskine (or however it's spelled), I might be trying to find an alt route than 84.

I will be heading down from everett earlyish friday with a carload of people. WIll probably be making stops in redmond to pick people up on my way down. I would love to hook up with another group at some point.

Eric (Teth)

I'm picking Jacob up in Dundee on the way up, and Levi in Sherwood, which means I'm getting off I-5 at Salem and, since I'm PCing, that likely puts me at a full car. I'll be leaving at around 1:15, getting back on I-84 at around 4, and there at around6. I have chains and a few phone numbers in case of ritual flaw... er, something goes horribly wrong, but I wouldn't mind meeting up around the beginning of I-84.

On a tangentially related subject, are you guys doing gypsy camp again?

edit: The tildes looked like minus signs

As of right now, I'm leaving corvallis at 2 with an empty car. I'd rather tag out and get into someone else's car, mine doesn't do well in the cold. My schedule isn't very flexible, but I could drop my car in portland and swap in there if I had to. I would need gear space though. My really bulky stuff is coming down separately, but I've got a couple totes, sleeping gear, clothes, armor, and weapons.
Matt
Fourtwofiveninetwothreeeightthreethreefive

I will be coming down from Bellingham early with every intention to be on 1-90 East by 11:30am. If the pass looks terrible up in WA, then I'll go the longer way down to Portland and out East from there. As of now, I expect to have a full car as I'll either have my sister with me (if she can make it) and/or Sara and Jesse. I'd be up for caravaning though, if anyone will be headed East around that time. PM me if you need my number.

~Carmen

Alright, so, I'm planning on coordinating with Jimmy as far as leaving times. Jim, would you mind stopping by Corvallis so we can pick up Matt?

Matt, are you interested in riding with me again? I'm going to be at your place the day before to pick up Monster Camp stuff, so we can work with JP on that.

SkollWolfrun said:
If I am going up to Clatskine (or however it's spelled), I might be trying to find an alt route than 84.

if you do come up to clatskanie i actully have directions on my laptop that i keep meaning to print out.

Selo said:
SkollWolfrun said:
If I am going up to Clatskine (or however it's spelled), I might be trying to find an alt route than 84.

if you do come up to clatskanie i actually have directions on my laptop that i keep meaning to print out.

I'll come get you, but it would mostly depend upon if you have Friday off and I can come up Friday morning.

Brr. :cold: I'll be bringing two extra cloaks if anyone needs one.

Back