Treasure Policy and Items Under 2.1 Beta

Gandian Ravenscroft

Knight
Chicago Staff
Marshal
Brace yourselves; I'm bitter, depressed, and passionate about dumb things like Treasure Policy prep.

"A chapter may allow for any modifications to characters as necessary to test during this time frame, however as the alternative rules are not fully approved for standard play at this time, any items crafted, ritually created, made through other means, or gained during a time which is utilizing the playtest rules **must** be marked as a playtest item, and cannot be brought back into a standard 2.0 game. Should the item exist still at the point when 2.1 is approved fully as a standardized ruleset, these tags will just need to be approved to be brought back into play by the issuing chapter." - 2.1 Beta announcement post

So, I've been the one prepping Treasure Policy for Chicago these days, and the chapter's upcoming 3-day event is utilizing the 2.1 Beta rules. The current plan was to add a stapled slip to the Magic Item tags dropped at the event that outlines it being dropped at a playtest game, that it can't be brought to a 2.0 game, etc.

But now that I reread the above, it says "items", not Magic Items. That said, how extensively does the umbrella of "items" reach? Do I need to make custom, disclaimer-riddled tags for every potion? Every battle magic scroll? Every component? Every COIN? That's not only inconvenient for game staff, but for players as well. "Sorry, this copper piece was dropped at a playtest game you visited, you can't spend it in-game until December 202Eventually when the 2.1 rules get passed!"

Would it not make more sense to mark only items that are AFFECTED by the 2.1 Beta rules as Playtest items?

Examples of how I think it SHOULD work:

- Example: Assassin's Edge was updated in the 2.1 Beta to be placeable on Bows. A game drops a 3/LP Assassin's Edge bow. Since that is a new rule in the 2.1 Beta, it is marked as a Playtest Item and can't be brought to a 2.0 game for the time being, since that would mixing and matching 2.1 and 2.0 rulesets at the same event.
- Example: Empower Warrior is exactly the same in the 2.1 Beta as in the 2.0 rules. A game drops an Empower Warrior item. The 2.1 and 2.0 rules pertaining to the effects of that item are identical, so it is marked as a standard 2.0 item and can go wherever, since even though it dropped at a Playtest event, it follows no different Playtest rules.

I can understand and support a ruling that items that are PC-created during a 2.1 Beta event using rules modified in 2.1 are limited from traveling to 2.0 games, since they might have come into being via modified ritual casting rules that weren't the same as 2.0, etc. But as far as Plot dropping items via Treasure Policy, nothing changed method-wise and the 2.1 versus 2.0 doesn't matter at all.

Examples of how I think it SHOULD work:
- Example: Using 2.1 modified ritual casting Playtest rules, a PC casts a 3/LP Healing Imbuement on a weapon. Since the item was created via 2.1 Beta modified ritual rules, it is marked as a Playtest Item and can't be brought to a 2.0 game for the time being, since that would mixing and matching 2.1 and 2.0 rulesets at the same event.
- Example: Plot drops a 3/LP Healing Imbuement weapon as loot at a 2.1 Beta event. Since the 2.1 Beta did not change how Healing Imbuement works and it was not created using any modified 2.1 rules, it is marked as a standard 2.0 item and can go wherever, since even though it dropped at a Playtest event, it follows no different Playtest rules.

--

Prepping treasure for events is already a difficult and time-consuming process, and I'm 100% positive that there are a lot of chapters out there that don't put anywhere near the specific care into loot prep as I do. So if there are tons of extra hoops chapters need to jump through when it comes to loot at Playtest events (with no provided National assistance as far as modified tags or guidance of any kind on how to do it other than a single vague paragraph in the Beta rules announcement post, etc.), chapters are just going to do it wrong anyway, if they even do it at all.

Make everyone's lives simpler and only make them have to deal with marking items that are AFFECTED by the 2.1 Beta as Playtest items. If an item (be it a Magic Item, Production Item, whatever) is the same between 2.0 and 2.1, there is no reason whatsoever it should need to be differentiated as a Playtest item. It still came out of Treasure Policy and is no different than it would be if the event wasn't a Playtest.

If the tripping point for making this change is "Oh man, it'd be nice to do it your way, but it'd be woooork for chapters to figure out what items were and what items weren't 2.1-modified, so we're just gonna do a blanket everything instead", I can PERSONALLY assemble guidance materials on what things would need marking as Playtest items and what items wouldn't, as a reference guide to other chapters looking to drop loot and such. Let me know and I would be able to whip that together in no time.

Make the game easier for staff and players.

Thanks,
Alexander

Additionally, for PC-created magic items, you could allow a PC to cast rituals using either 2.0 or 2.1 ritual rules, chosen at time of casting:
- Example: A PC is going to cast a Regeneration ritual, which functions the same in 2.1 and 2.0. At the beginning of the casting, the caster informs the staff that the ritual is being cast using 2.1 modified ritual casting Playtest rules. Since the resulting Arcane Armor item was created via 2.1 Beta modified ritual rules, it is marked as a Playtest Item and can't be brought to a 2.0 game for the time being, since that would mixing and matching 2.1 and 2.0 rulesets at the same event.
- Example: A PC is going to cast a Regeneration ritual, which functions the same in 2.1 and 2.0. At the beginning of the casting, the caster informs the staff that the ritual is being cast using 2.0 standard ritual casting Playtest rules. Since the 2.1 Beta did not change how Arcane Armor works and it was not created using any modified 2.1 rules, it is marked as a standard 2.0 item and can go wherever, since even though it created at a Playtest event, it follows no different Playtest rules.

The above would be neat, but is not a requirement by any means, and if it's a sticking point for getting my other points approved by the powers that be, drop it instantly.

There's currently a proposal working it's way through the process that addresses very issue. Things are looking very favorable for it and I think information on it should be made public within the next two weeks. I'll refrain from specifics but I'm not very worried about it at this point. But yeah, good points and I largely agree with you.

Don't forget Superior Equipment, Enhanced Equipment, and Some Adventuring equipment, would a Suit of Armor I make using Crafting materials, or my free production though crafting skills or merchanting be 2.1 even if a standard 2.0 item?

There's currently a proposal working it's way through the process that addresses very issue. Things are looking very favorable for it and I think information on it should be made public within the next two weeks. I'll refrain from specifics but I'm not very worried about it at this point. But yeah, good points and I largely agree with you.
Do we have any updates on this?

@A.mungo I'm gonna punt this to you

There are! Members should all be aware of the changes which were voted in, and expect the public announcement to be posted on or before Tuesday evening.

Hey look its the thing!

Back