Trials of the Carnadrins

Gandian Ravenscroft

Knight
Chicago Staff
Marshal
Mainlander friends of Atupal,

I bring you good tidings from the Isle of Terramera! I am sure you will be pleased to learn that Wallamog the Smack - Third Watcher of the Sea, Ninth Watcher of Gavaria - has flourished during their time here with us! Their numbers have grown in the last months, and with their renewed numbers, so too has their strength returned as well! They once again offer their profound thanks to your community for your role in returning them to the sea. Though there have been some scares along the way - your man Ignathis can attest to that - the Watcher soon will spread back throughout the entire ocean and reclaim their rightful place in nature!

However, the ocean is not yet free of the Ris’sunus’ tyranny. The sky above both sea and land fills with storms like never before as Ris’sunus’ power swells further and further, and soon they will flood the land and assert complete dominion over all that water touches. With the Watcher’s strength now returned, the time has come to act and strike back directly against the vile Ris’sunus!

Centuries ago, when Ris’sunus was defeated the first time, the people of the ocean fought wielding great boons granted to them by the Carnadrins of the three Watchers of the Sea, and without these same boons, I daresay anyone would have little hope of threatening Ris’sunus this time. Two of the Watchers of the Sea - Terramera the Bastion, the great sea turtle, and Holarix the Pentacontapod, the vicious crustacean - have been slain by Ris’sunus and therefore cannot bestow the strength of their Carnadrins…

However, each of these Watchers has left behind those that can wield the Carnadrins’ might: We, the Ho’Nu’A, bear the blood of Terramera in our veins and stand ready to grant the protective energy of her Carnadrin to those that will take the fight to Ris’sunus! The Langoso bear a strange curse upon their bloodlines that stretches back to Holarix himself, and while I cannot speak for these honorless pirates myself, I have been told that an agreement has been made for them to grant the energy of Holarix’s Carnadrin to those that will take the fight to Ris’sunus. Lastly, the third Watcher lives, and Wallamog themselves will be able to grant their own Carnadrin’s boon.

But bestowing these boons is not simple. Only the Watchers or those directly connected to the Watcher can channel the Carnadrin, and bestowing its gifts upon others requires trials of the spirit. In each of these trials, the aspiring recipients of the boon must exemplify the values of the Watcher, proving themselves worthy in the eyes of the Watcher and their chosen domain in order to carry the power.

We Ho’Nu’A are able to initiate the Trial of Terramera’s Carnadrin! Above all else, our mother the Watcher stood for Protection, and so those that undergo her trial will have to prove themselves as worthy and stalwart defenders of their companions in times of danger. We can provide more details when the time for the trial comes upon us.

I know not what the Trial of Holarix’s Carnadrin entails, but the Langoso should be able to initiate it.

Wallamog themselves can initiate the Trial of their own Carnadrin, and while I know not what their trial entails either, I have learned in the last few months that the Watcher prizes the principles of Serenity and Teamwork above all else. If I had to guess, I would imagine their Trial will focus on exemplifying more of the latter than the former, but I could be mistaken.

We Ho’Nu’A will plan to venture to the mainland around midday when your people next gather, where we will also bring one of Wallamog with us. From there, we can commence the Trials the Carnadrins, and solidify final preparations for the battle against Ris’sunus! Soon, the Light of Ris’sunus shall be extinguished forevermore, and peace brought back to both land and sea!

- To’To of the Ho’Nu’A

Honorable To'To,

It is good to hear from you again. I cannot speak for all of us mainlanders, but for myself, I am excited to begin these trials and bring an end to Ris'sunus' "rain" of terror.

Are your people safe? I do not know how prone Terramera is to flooding, and find it likely that the Ho'Nu'A are excellent swimmers, but the ocean is vast and more dangerous than ever. If there is anything that we can do to help your people in the meantime, please let us know.

- Deputy Aiden Olrikson of Winter's Rest, Lieutenant of the Rose Wardens in Atish

Back