v0.10 Spellstrike, nonstandard attacks, and Audio Cues

Tantarus

Knight
Following with the idea of making the game more new player friendly and simpler to understand. I believe removing the term spellstrike is a mistake.

Again I get that the goal is to make everything uniform, hence removing the "strike" when you swing a weapon for a spell effect. But I think you are under valuing the value of Audio ques in a live action game.

When you hear "spellstrike" you know it is a spell being delivered in a non standard way, via a strike. I can already see the confusion in 2.0 when happens and people swing "spell death" or whatever when people are use to the spell carrier coming in the form of packets.

Spell Disarm, Spell Stun Limb, etc will be especially easy to confuse with there melee counterparts if you don't hear the first part. Keeping the Strike part lessens the chance of miss hearing or confusion, I believe.

Not to mention "Spellstrike" has as certain flavor and history with the game. Losing that for little or negative gain does not seem worth it.

I know this change seems minor. But I feel that it is a net loss in making the game easier to play and understand for me. Keeping the full term "Spellstrike" creates that audio cue in a fast paced combat game that helps people to understand what is happening and react accordingly. I firmly believe that removing the "Strike" part will create confusion and harder to understand rules for new players.

Not to mention it still has the word "spell" in it, so it still works with the new rules in that spell shield clearly defends from anything with "spell" in it.

You forgot to mention that "spellstrike" is a longer verbal which makes it slower and making combat slower, which seems to be a push towards.

I hadn't really considered that, since I don't use Terminates on my rogue at all now so hadn't put them on my speculative builds. Under .10, what -is- the difference between Terminate and Eviscerate beyond Eviscerate being flatly better due to not requiring you be behind the target?

Terminate costs a rogue 4 XP and is capped to 1 per 60, Eviscerate is one XP more at 5 per and capped at 1 per 60 for fighters.

Last edited:
Back