Vacation?

Gilwing

Administrator
Alliance Logistics
Alliance Owner
Has any one gone to Cancun or the Dominican Republic? Any all-inclusive resorts to recommend? I'm looking to go with a few people in August.

I took a trip this past summer down to Playa del Carmen (an hour south of cancun) and stayed at the Grand Riviera Princess. It was absolutely amazing, and was all inclusive with alcohol included. I'm on a few mailing lists for discount trips so I booked that one through a company called cheapcarribean.com. Up front price included airfare and all taxes and tips, so I didn't need to spend any money during the trip at all.
I would also recommend checking out travelzoo.com, as they have a weekly "top 20" list that gets updated with some pretty epic deals as well.

~Joe

Morai said:
I took a trip this past summer down to Playa del Carmen (an hour south of cancun) and stayed at the Grand Riviera Princess. It was absolutely amazing, and was all inclusive with alcohol included. I'm on a few mailing lists for discount trips so I booked that one through a company called cheapcarribean.com. Up front price included airfare and all taxes and tips, so I didn't need to spend any money during the trip at all.
I would also recommend checking out travelzoo.com, as they have a weekly "top 20" list that gets updated with some pretty epic deals as well.

~Joe

Thanks Joe. My co-workers use cheapcarribean.com. They like that you don't have to pay it all at once.

Was there a "premium" package or something like that and did you take it? I have seen several resorts that offer all inclusive but then have a "premium" package that will offer "top shelf" and other perks.

A few questions if you don't mind, Did you feel safe at the resort/did you leave the resort? How was the food? Do you need to make reservation for the restaurants? Was there a dress code for the restaurants?

As far as food/beverage was concerned there were no additional packages available. You could upgrade the style of your room if you wanted, which i did. So I had a jacuzzi style tub in my bathroom, and direct access to the pool from my room. Literally just opened the back door, and the back porch area was touching the pool. Alcohol that was included had things like bacardi and captain morgan for rum, smirnoff for vodka, bombay for gin, and things around that level. No Grey-Goose or anything i'd consider 'top shelf'. The beer on tap was Corona, but it was surprisingly good and much better than what I've had in the states. And they had a beer called 'Modelo' in cans which was ok.

I felt very safe on the resort. I only went down for a long weekend getaway though, so I didn't leave to go 'see the sights' so I can't say anything about the surrounding areas.
There were a bunch of buffet style restaurants which were open all day and did not require any dress code or reservations. For dinner though there were 6-8 different places that did require reservations and a slightly better dress code. Slacks a nice shirt was fine, tie and jacket were not required. The food everywhere was fantastic.

~Joe

So, do such resorts exist in the US? If I'm going to be staying on the resort proper, I don't see a strong reason to travel to a foreign country. (Or put another way - if I'm in a foreign country, I don't want to stay on the resort.)

Jp,

Villa Roma in the Catskills in NY is supposed to be amazing.

I'm thinking there might be laws that keep "all the booze you can handle" off the menu in the US. Or it might just be too expensive here, keep in mind you only have to pay your staff a fraction of the cost on the islands.

jpariury said:
Both places seem ala carte. Are there any with all-inclusive packages?

For the place I linked, you call them and talk to one of their staff who asks you a bunch of questions and puts a package together for you, etc. They don't have "pre-made" packages (though I think they have baseline starting points) because they are all custom packages on a per-guest basis. It is one of those places where you can literally do anything you can afford to pay for (that's legal).

At least that is how it used to work...I don't see anything that suggests otherwise.

Gotcha. I'm less inclined to the boozahol, it's more the meals, massages, activities and entertainment that I'm in it for. Once I have to plan ahead of time what and where I need to be, it loses the attraction that the other packages have going for them.

jpariury said:
Gotcha. I'm less inclined to the boozahol, it's more the meals, massages, activities and entertainment that I'm in it for. Once I have to plan ahead of time what and where I need to be, it loses the attraction that the other packages have going for them.

You can always rent an island and go on a walk in a random direction? That seems pretty open-ended! :D

jpariury said:

I know Florida has some All-inclusive locations. Sorry I don't have any links or names. As far as I know I have never heard of massages being included, I would totally go there. I'm sure you can add it to a PKG of some sort.

James Trotta, current Alliance larp member has a Travel blog http://www.travel-plan-idea.com He might know of some all-inclusive location in the US.

Back