[.11] Value of Counteract

Something I just noticed. With the change to Riposte (which I very much like), I realized that Counteract pretty much only has value for Adepts or alchemy using Rogues. I think this should probably be mentioned in the description of the skill (that it doesn't meaningfully help against martial attacks).

-MS

I’m probably buying two, but only because I’m planning on winning any Retribution Fights. :D

It’s not that great, but it’s only 2 Build. It’s insurance for your existing defenses.

Consider the following:

1) We do not know how common Bane will be for NPCs in 2.0, only how common it will be for PCs.

2) 2.0 Rogues will be susceptible to Banes vs Command, Curse, Eldritch Force, and Binding, just from their per-day weapon skills. Add all the things that Trap and Alchemy Globes can deliver.

3) Counteract is insurance for your Dodges and Evades (and possibly Racials). So the value of the skill is going to be primarily dependent on how often your per-days are returned. But if you use a 2 build skill instead of a 4+ build skill? That’s profit.

So I like Counteract, but I wouldn’t invest too much in them, at least not until we see how prevalent Bane becomes. Also, I think it’s pretty useful in killing mages or negating Retribution, so it has some serious PvP value.

2) 2.0 Rogues will be susceptible to Banes vs Command, Curse, Eldritch Force, and Binding, just from their per-day weapon skills.

They have dodge....

Sure you might save some build on a defense. But you might also just burn the build by not using them for days.

Did you even read #3?

Fine fine.

Lemme put it another way.

A defensively-minded Rogue (like yours truly), will find value in a potential trump protection ability when I’m maxed out on Dodges. Also, I generally value defense over offense, and I feel that our gameplay does, too (Skill Store Dodges are worth so much more than any other Skill Store, as an example). Sure, there might be events where my Counteracts aren’t used, but how is that different from racial Resist abilities?

It’s a 2 pt niche trump defense. I’m willing to waste some build on the insurance.

That is fair, I just think it is pretty narrow. If you are capped out on dodges/evades I can see it. But you are a filthy scavenger so you can have better build use via racials I think. Like Resist elements or resist poison.

Honestly, I’ll probably have a little bit of Racials, but I really want to maximize my Stealth XP for Assassinates/Dodge/Evades, which are my bread-and-butter.

Yeah I can see that. My fighter build has 80 build of racials, though. Just stacking extra defenses once I cap out on my buyable ones. My templar build only has like 20 or so.

Back