Villains in Andar, by Duke Oranté Tíondo

evi1r0n

Baron
Friends, supporters and fellow Andarians,

Let it be known that while venturing to South Millbrooke on a mission of diplomacy I was assaulted by a number of low nobles and their subjects. These miscreants believe that my heavily supported rise to Dukedom is unjust. They would have me leave Silvershire to the clutches of the undead as the council of counties shuffle their feet.

Leading the assault against myself was no other than Sir Kreiger and his house of the zodiac. His actions were not unexpected considering his reputation. I told him my loyal subjects would defend me but attacking me out of personal vengeance would only hinder the fight against the undead.

While King Stalldel and I work to unite the people under one ruler quickly, to stem the tide of monsters, they would seek to stall the process leaving Kreiger more time to bask in his personal sense of leadership. He can't even unite the troops he controls let alone an entire kingdom. The new king and I have rallied half of the kingdom and our enemies seek to waste time.

A number of my personal effects were stolen as well. My crown and an unidentified ritual scroll were among them.

My personal guard were slaughtered defending me as I was struck with magic while my spirit fled to my keep. They both resurrected but spoke of dark magics used against them.

Let it be known that all members of house zodiac are considered outlaws in the lands of Silvershire. They are charged with the crimes of: assault on a noble, murder of officers of a noble, treason and possession of necromantic artifacts. A 50 gold bounty for their capture or proof of final death will be offered until all members have been brought to justice.

Unite my people. Our enemies are among us.

-Duke Oranté Tíondo

Could you be a bit more specific on the people who are now outlaws? Names would be nice so we know exactly who you are looking for.

Yes knowing who besides Sir Kreiger would be nice. Otherwise your saying all the adventures are in house Zodiac. So more information would be welcomed as in who attacked you and your men. And who is under treason or is it Just Sir Kreiger? And the rest are wanted for questioning?

Xavic
Master in The Brotherhood of the Star

*The Voice of Ghost/Zehnyu is obvious to those who have heard her before.*

Having walked a handful of times with the man and his household, this slander falls upon deaf ears. You do nothing but make more enemies, and your tongue and venom do little to hinder a household that has been honorable and noble towards those of Andar, as well as those who travel beyond the mists. That House has stood with the rest of Andar, and rallied its troops to fight against the Darkness. That House that has time and time again bashed itself upon the rocks of the enemy for the good of the people it attempts to protect, and asks for nothing in return. You would declare them outlaws, honestly?

A true Duke holds himself in honorable regard, and does not sling mud at the feet and face of others who try to protect their kingdom from outside as well as within. He would also not insult the Council of Counties by proclaiming them to be 'dragging their feet', nor would he be so quick to administer himself a leader of a Duchy that, to my knowledge, does not yet exist. Instead, he would rally his people against the enemy, and care little for political gain and titles and other things that exist in name only. He would ensure the safety of his people. A real Duke moves with action: a politician speaks and hides behind his words.

It is folly to point fingers, and declare outlaws, when we already have enough enemies upon our door.

I would, in good graces, hope to not divide the people of Andar further, and you would withdraw the accusations herein. Otherwise be a true Duke - challenge those whom you feel have wronged you to Honor Combat.

Count Tiondo,

I realize that your attempts to claim for yourself a greater share of the kingdom's political bounty have left you little time for such leisurely pursuits as the study of law within your own kingdom. Fortunately for you I have devoted a great deal of time to these things and will gladly act as your guide and counselor as you retrace your steps and correct the wrongs you have committed against the people of Andar.

First and foremost, had you taken the time to familiarize yourself even sparingly with the laws of Andar you might have realized that the succession of the Monarchy is well defined, and that in the absence of a Crown Prince or Princess only a Council of Counties can raise someone to the Monarchy. Furthermore, that person must be chosen from among the Ducal Estates. Count Stalldel, for all that he wears a crown, is not and cannot be the rightful King of Andar.

Now, that being the case it has surely also escaped your notice that only the monarch may create a Duchy or elevate someone to a Ducal Estate. Given that you claim Count Stalldel has created the Duchy of Silvershire and granted it to you I am compelled to point out that neither condition is satisfied in this case. Your supporters may do well to consider this as well. As an aside, I must ask whether you've considered the ramifications of carving a new Duchy out of two existing Duchies- I'm certain that the Ducal Estates of Silver Hold and Ravencrest have; perhaps you should inquire as to their thoughts on the matter.

On to matters of justice. Clearly you are familiar with the right of summary judgment, but your application of the concept is flawed. The laws grant nobility the right of summary judgment over those people subject to low justice, but the right of summary high justice is reserved only for the Crown and their appointed Paladins. Furthermore, the laws prevent the nobility from judging crimes against themselves. Now, the house you have called into question is a noble household, subject as an entity to the crown's high justice. As such you have no right within the law to execute summary judgment against such an entity. Additionally, since you claim harm from this noble household you are prevented, by law, from sitting in judgment over them.

Your actions up to now have been misguided, and I give you the benefit of the doubt in believing that you have acted out of ignorance instead of malice. However, ignorance of the laws you are sworn to uphold will not serve as justification for failing to do so; indeed, it may be that it makes it even more egregious.

Therefore,

Count Tiondo, for setting your personal guards to attack, unprovoked, those nobles present at parlay with you in the town of South Millbrooke I charge you with assault of a noble, causing harm requiring healing.

For offering up an unlawful bounty on a noble house with the intent of causing final death to one or more noble members of said house I charge you with treason.

For claiming a Ducal Estate to which you have no lawful right I charge you with treason.

For attempting to subvert the Ducal Estates of Silver Hold and Ravencrest in the creation of a new, unlawful Duchy, I charge you with treason.

For supporting the unlawful claim of Count Stalldel to the Crown of Andar I charge you with treason.

Let it be known to all who bear witness to these charges that in the absence of the Crown these matters of high justice require a Paladin to sit in judgment. Thus, let the word spread far and wide that any surviving Paladin in Andar might hear it and answer the call for justice.

Also let it be known that anyone attempting to collect on the unlawful bounty set by Count Tiondo will be called to judgment according to their station, in accordance with the laws of the Kingdom of Andar.

By my hand,
Knight-Baron Shikar al'Basteua
Baron of the Court of Andar
Knight of Andar
Knight Exemplar of the Empire of Parna

People of Andar hear my words. I am squire Alfenheim Brin. Let it be known that his Grace, Duke Tiondo has tasked me with responding to the communities concerns. In regards to the threats and charges levied by the court baron Shikar, the people should be made aware that these false claims are the words of a traitorous noble who is currently a wanted man. His words are as meaningless as his title. He quotes law and charges not supported by the new king.

To clarify my Grace's bounties the following people are considered outlaws and a bounty will be offered for their capture or final death:
The rat creature known as Kreiger, Shikar, Avaran, James and any traitor who would keep company with such rabble.

He would also like me to relay the following message:
“While our kingdom falls into disrepair these people would have us hold court and deal with political squabbling. Now is a time of action. The new king and I have rallied half of the kingdom to our cause, along with the troops to support us. These traitorous agents of the Wraith King hide behind the guise of justice, yet they would kill fellow Andarians. I propose a peaceful solution, bow to the new king and fight our true enemy. All charges shall be lifted if the traitors admit their crimes and bow. Not doing so is evidence that they seek to destroy us all. Fall in line or die by the hands of your rightful rulers.”
-Your beloved Duke Tiondo

Thank you for your time. I hope that this can be resolved swiftly and without bloodshed.
-Squire Alfenheim

Squire Alfenheim,

The laws of Andar have existed for hundreds of years, and the words of false kings and traitors will not change that. I stand by my words and my charges, and will see justice done.

For the edification of one and all, below are the laws of Andar. All those of noble rank of Andar have sworn to uphold these laws. The first section deals with the rights of succession for the Monarchy. The second section deals with the manner in which a noble person is elevated in station and the ranking of the nobility by title.

It is a sad day when a former mercenary, largely unfamiliar with Andar, is more familiar with her laws than one who would attempt to claim the title of Duke.

~Lady Ny'ranï Sheehar
Empire of Parna

Let it be known that these are the laws and regulations of Andar

• I. Right of succession of the Monarchy
    • a. The crown of Andar shall pass to the crown prince or princess on the death or abdication of the ruling monarch
      b. The crown prince or princess shall be chosen from amongst those of ducal rank within the kingdom.
      c. Should an heir not be chosen, should the succession be challenged, or should a time of civil unrest be in force when the Monarchy stands vacant, the crown shall pass to the hands of the Head of the Earth Guild of Andar, and a Council of Counties shall be called
      • i. A Council of Counties shall consist of all of the sitting Counts and Countesses
        ii. The council shall have the sole power to select the monarchy from amongst those of Ducal rank.

II. The naming of landed nobility, and the rights and privileges they hold
    • a. Here are listed the ranks of nobility within Andar. The crown holds the sole power of granting title within the lands of Andar, save those of Ducal rank who may presume to name Lords and Ladies of Court, Baronial Estates and Baronies of Court subject to the pleasure of the Monarchy.
      • i. Monarchy
        ii. Crown Prince/Princess
        iii. Ducal Estates
        iv. County Estates
        v. Baronial Estates
        vi. Baronies of the court
        vii. Knights of the realm
        viii. Lords and Ladies of the court
        ix. Squires of the Realm
        x. Pages of The Court
      b. Of the above listed ranks of nobility, the noble Estates shall have sovereignty over the lands granted them by the crown, in fealty to the crown and subservient to their wishes.
      • i. They shall keep and maintain a levy of troops, arms and armor for the defense of the realm
        ii. They shall hold forth taxes from the produce of their lands for the maintenance of the realm
        iii. They shall administer justice, low and high, as befits their station.
        iv. They shall be subject only to High Justice, being presumed innocent of crimes until proof be presented and accepted against them, and hold the right of appeal over their sovereign lord.
        • 1. Baronial estates are subject to their County and may appeal to the Ducal Estate.
          2. Counties are subject to their Ducal Estate and may appeal to the Monarchy
          3. Squires shall carry noble right to high justice, subject to their knights, and may appeal to the Baronial Estate in which they reside.
          4. Lords and Ladies of court are subject to the Baronial Estate in which they reside.
          5. The Monarchy, as well as the Crown Prince/Princess stands subject to the Council of Nobles.
          • a. The Council of Nobles shall consist of all those holding Rank of Estate
            b. They hold the sole power to remove the Crown from the hands of the Monarchy for high crimes against the Kingdom of Andar
        v. The Noble Estate may assign such judges, jailers, and enforcers of laws they shall see fit to administer low justice and maintain the common peace
        vi. Only those of noble rank may own their land, holding privilege over the profits of that land, save only the taxes levied by their sovereign lords and the Monarchy.
        • 1. The Monarchy holds ultimate title over all land, and may grant lease of lands within their realms to those they wish.
          • a. Those holding lease shall have the rights of ownership only insofar as granted in the lease, and shall have succor within the law as landholders.
        vii. All of noble rank, save Pages of the Court who have not reached their majority of 14 years, may dispense low justice over the subjects of the realms and may serve summary judgment subject to the Baronial Estate in which the judgment is passed
    • c. Rights of high justice
      • i. Those subject to High Justice shall be presumed innocent until they are proven guilty
        ii. They may chose right of trial by combat
        • 1. Trial by combat may be refused by their sovereign lord.
          2. If trial by combat is refused, the case is appealed as is their rights within the law.
        iii. Those awaiting high justice may be granted bond by their sovereign lord and allowed freedom at the risk of that bond
        • 1. Should bond be refused, the case is appealed as is their rights within the law
        iv. Those held for High Crimes against the Kingdom of Andar may not be granted bond.
    • d. Succor of the people
      • i. At all times, those holding noble title must grant succor to those in need, and shall take only such payment as shall be deemed fair and equitable.

III. Crimes against nobility
    • a. Nobility may not judge cases of crimes against themselves
      b. Theft of property of a noble shall be punishable by the removal of one finger per offense, not to be regenerated for one year unless the offender dies and resurrects. And shall include recompense of at least twice the value of the item stolen
      c. Destruction of property of a noble shall be punishable by at least recompense of twice the value of the property destroyed, and is at a maximum a capital offense.
      • i. In cases of arson of a noble residence (Leased or Estate), the offender shall be put to death by fire.
      d. Slander of a noble title shall be any statement of sedition or reproach which causes damage to the noble Estate and is punishable by at the least confinement and fines appropriate to the offense and is at maximum a capital offense.
      e. Assault of a noble shall be defined as causing physical harm, through action or inaction, to the noble Estate.
      • i. Striking a noble shall warrant incarceration and lashes in the public square
        ii. Causing harm requiring healing shall be considered a capital offense
        iii. Causing, through action or inaction, the death of a noble shall be treason and be punishable by Obliteration.
      f. Treason shall be defined as the offense of attempting, by overt acts, to overthrow Noble Estate or to kill or personally injure the Sovereign Lords or the Sovereign's Lords’ families. This can only be met by the permanent death of the guilty.

IV. Ambassadors of Allies of Andar shall have all rights of nobility, save those of the Noble Estate. They shall be subject to High Justice of the Ducal Estate in which they reside.

V. Rights of the Merchants and Guilds of Andar
    • a. As the merchants and guilds of Andar are those which give benefit to the land, the Monarchy, and the good people of Andar, it shall be deemed that none shall interfere with the good and legal trade of goods and services
      • i. The act of banditry, being the attacking and taking of the goods and monies in transit from place to place, shall be a capital crime
        ii. The act of thievery, being the removal of goods from the storage, domicile or place of business of a merchant or guild, shall be punished by imprisonment as befits the crime and restitution of the stolen goods
        iii. The act of arson against merchant or guild shall be a capital crime
        iv. Destruction of the property of a guild or merchant shall be punished by imprisonment as befits the crime and restitution of the destroyed property
      b. A guild shall be defined as an association of merchants, scholars or craftsmen gathered to do business together to their mutual benefit and the good of Andar
      c. Merchants and guilds who have lease of a shop, guild house or warehouse shall have the right to purchase access to High Justice
      • i. The price shall be determined by the Noble Estate in which they reside
        ii. They shall have no right of appeal, save those cases in which trial by combat is refused them
        iii. The Earth Guild of Andar shall have all rights of High Justice
        iv. The Magistratum shall have all rights of High Justice
      d. Merchants and guilds who have lease of a shop, guild house or warehouse shall register with the Anagraph of the Noble Estate in which they reside and shall be responsible for the paying of taxes on their goods or services as determined by the Noble Estate in which they reside
      e. Guilds shall have the power to give loans and issue bonds, and to assess interest on those loans and bonds as agreed to by all parties

VI. A naming of crimes of merchants and guilds
    • a. Usury shall be defined as an unconscionable or exorbitant rate or amount of interest and shall be punished by surrender of right to the loan or bond and restitution of the interest in the loan
      b. The selling of those goods deemed to be illegal within the Noble Estate in which they are sold shall be punished by the seizure of all goods of the merchant and fines and/or imprisonment as befits the crime
      c. The selling of goods or services which are found to be fraudulent shall be punished by imprisonment and fines as befits the crime and restitution of the cost of goods or services
      d. The selling of goods which aid or promote Chaos and Necromancy shall be punished by fines and imprisonment as befits the crime

VII. Low Justice
    • a. All those not of Noble Rank who have not the means or the right to purchase High Justice shall be subject to Low Justice
      • i. They shall be considered guilty as they are accused, lest they prove themselves innocent
        ii. They shall be subject to the justice of the Noble Estate in which the crime is committed
        iii. They shall have only right to appeal to the person of Baronial Estate in which the crime is committed
        • 1. The Noble Estate may refuse appeal as they see fit and just.
          2. The noble estate may, at their discretion, assign a jury of peers to decide the appeal
        iv. They shall have right of trial by combat against only those not of Noble Rank or registered guild members and merchants

VIII. A naming of the crimes against the people of Andar
    • a. Necromancy
      • i. It shall be considered a capital crime to use Chaos to raise, control, create, aid, or heal undead creatures or constructs
        ii. It shall be considered a capital crime to use Chaos to harm any person
        iii. It shall be the responsibility of all good people of Andar to act against Necromancy in all of its forms
      b. Disturbing the common peace
      • i. It shall be considered a crime to create civic disturbance through overt actions of disturbance of the common peace through actions of wanton destruction, seditious speech, brawling, assault on the people of Andar, or disruption of trade and commerce. This shall be punishable by fines as befits the crime
      c. Kidnapping
      • i. Kidnapping shall be defined as seizing and detaining or carrying away by unlawful force or fraud any good person of the Kingdom of Andar and shall be punished by imprisonment and fines as befits the crime
      d. Fraud
      • i. The intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value or to surrender a legal right shall be punished by restitution of twice the value surrendered, imprisonment as befits the crime, or both
      e. Theft
      • i. Theft amongst the good people of Andar shall require restitution of twice the value stolen, imprisonment as befits the crime, or both
      f. Banditry
      • i. Banditry, being the disruption of travel for the practice of plundering in gangs, shall be considered a capital crime
      g. Murder
      • i. Murder is the unlawful and intentional killing of a sentient, thinking being by another and shall be considered a capital crime
      h. Arson
      • i. Arson against the people of Andar shall be punished by restitution of the value of property destroyed and imprisonment as befits the crime. In the event of Gross Arson, being arson committed against a group of buildings or property, it shall be considered a capital offense
      i. Flight from Justice
      • i. Those accused of crimes against the good people of Andar, The Noble Estate or the Monarchy who take flight from Justice shall be considered outlaw, and it shall be considered the responsibility of all good people of Andar to refuse them respite, succor, or comfort. The shall have no rights or privileges under the law
      j. Aiding an Outlaw
      • i. Giving aid to an outlaw shall result in those giving aid being considered outlaw as well

Squire Alfenheim Brin,

It is my sincerest regret to inform you that may not actually be a squire, or that your squire-ship and any future you had in this regard may be in grave danger of never coming to pass; the former Count Tiondo was stripped of his lands, titles, deeds, family holdings, estates, and etc. and has no more right to squire anyone than a common farmer. If you were squired prior to this, I could perhaps see another noble or knight of Andar taking you under their banner, but only if you were to do the right thing -- follow the laws of Andar; which you yourself, and the one whom you serve both swore to protect. Should you have been "squired" after Tiondo's unfortunate choice, then you have no right to call yourself such, and should be charged with impersonating a noble, as squires in this land are of low nobility. But noble nonetheless.

The laws of succession are clearly stated in our country's laws, and I would suggest that Tiondo (formerly, Count) and Staldell are purposefully, willfully, and knowingly interfering with that process in the hopes of grabbing as much land and power as they can under the guise of doing what is "for the greater good". Tiondo and Count Staldell should be at the forefront of gathering the remaining Counts and Countesses of Andar to elect a new Monarch. Instead, they drag their feet with power mongering and they accuse others of doing the very thing they stand accused of. Perhaps the Wraith King has enslaved them, and set them toward this task, to sew unrest and discord. It would not be the first time that this would have happened. But I am only guessing, and such exercises are useless.

But times of unrest are when we as a nation and as individuals are tested, and such times are when it is most important to follow our laws, not tear them asunder as best suits our own selfish desires. Such times show the true character of those who claim nobility; these times have not been kind to Staldell, and they have been especially grievous toward Tiondo.

It is true that I was present in South Millbrook when Tiondo was first approached by Sir Krieger and General Slice and others to talk with Tiondo. I was tasked with witnessing the proceedings and, if necessary, take him into lawful custody, protect him against harm while in custody, and ensure that he made it to trial; or, at the very least, make sure he received a fair trial as befits his station. At no time did I raise my sword against Tiondo or those who protected him, but I also did I stop those who attempted to subdue him, though I would have made sure he would not have resurrected.

He is still entitled to that trial, to high justice, and I would see him come to his trial unharmed and unharried, it is not my right to pass judgement on him, but it is my right and duty to bring him to those who would.

I am a Knight of Andar, and I follow the Code of Chivalry, Squire. It is more than simply words or phrases on a page, it is a way of life, a path to be walked so that we -- as Knights and Squires -- may be of service to others. We are obligated by intent of words and our deed of action to ignore our selfish desires, and do for others what must be done. Our virtue is to stand against those who would do harm to those who are unable to protect themselves, to lift up those around us in their time of need, no matter how small a need it may be.

But there is another side to all of this, Squire Brin, for we have two hands.

It is true that we hold a shield to protect humanity and those who are in need. But in our other hand we carry a sword, for we recognize that there are times when our shield is not enough; when we are struck, Squire, we are sworn to strike back.

Remember that code. Remember your oath to the crown, to Andar, to its laws and her people.

This whole situation does none of us any good, least of all those whom we swore to protect; it serves as a distraction from the business we should be attending to, and it shames us all that we should find ourselves in this situation. It is a distress that we as a country can ill-afford if we are to stand a chance against the Wraith King. In that I agree with Tiondo and Staldell; now is a time for unity and for action, not squabbling.

But now is also a time to follow the law, and they are not doing so, and this fact cannot and should not be ignored. By their actions, they are openly defying the law, and they must be brought to stand for their deeds.

Squire, if being a squire -- and some day being a knight, if things should work out (and I hope they do) -- has any meaning to you beyond the title, beyond the prestige and honor, then I implore you to remember your oaths and do what needs to be done. Arrest Tiondo and bring him to me, and I will make sure that he stands trial in a lawful court with a lawful judge, and receives all rights due him by his currently former station. I pledge my word as a Knight of Andar to these deeds.

As I have also been accused of a crime by a noble (whose station is in question, but a noble's rights he still has), I am entitled to High Justice under the law, and I would also submit myself to the Council of Counties, Her Grace Duchess DiOrsinni, or my Liege-lord Baron Polare Lissenstine-DiOrsinni to stand trial for that which I have been accused, and I will let them -- and only them -- decide my fate; this is my right as a Knight of Andar. I pledge my word as a Knight of Andar to these deeds.

In service to Andar and her people,
-Sir Avaran
Knight of Andar

evi1r0n said:
People of Andar hear my words. I am squire Alfenheim Brin. Let it be known that his Grace, Duke Tiondo has tasked me with responding to the communities concerns. In regards to the threats and charges levied by the court baron Shikar, the people should be made aware that these false claims are the words of a traitorous noble who is currently a wanted man. His words are as meaningless as his title. He quotes law and charges not supported by the new king.

To clarify my Grace's bounties the following people are considered outlaws and a bounty will be offered for their capture or final death:
The rat creature known as Kreiger, Shikar, Avaran, James and any traitor who would keep company with such rabble.

He would also like me to relay the following message:
“While our kingdom falls into disrepair these people would have us hold court and deal with political squabbling. Now is a time of action. The new king and I have rallied half of the kingdom to our cause, along with the troops to support us. These traitorous agents of the Wraith King hide behind the guise of justice, yet they would kill fellow Andarians. I propose a peaceful solution, bow to the new king and fight our true enemy. All charges shall be lifted if the traitors admit their crimes and bow. Not doing so is evidence that they seek to destroy us all. Fall in line or die by the hands of your rightful rulers.”
-Your beloved Duke Tiondo

Thank you for your time. I hope that this can be resolved swiftly and without bloodshed.
-Squire Alfenheim

Back