Wand Making?

So last Sunday I saw everyone using random sticks as wands and loosing them because they blend with every other stick. Would people want some nice looking wands? I have no problem making them or would it be a waste of my time? Let me know

Josh

Nice wands FTW!!!

Just make sure they are within the dimensions stated in the rulebook.

-Ryan

What are some types of wands?

yeah those wands look really cool, but they are a little too fragile i think. The wands I'm making lack the flare but are sturdy, plus i just don't have the time or money to make 20 wands look awesome. these are for everyone to use. they are a little generic looking, but they are better than using random sticks.

Paper macher wands, if built well, are actually quite sturdy. I still have Jehan's original wand which I purchased at the SoMN opener from another player and that was what over 4 yrs ago?

The wand is now starting to show wear and the color is fading off the paint but it looks quite nice and I still loan it out (its a lightning wand) to folks since I usually have my bigger wand spirit linked. Its also made of paper so if someone breaks it I wont cry. I probably would if someone snapped a wand from olivanders in half. :)

As for going in the defense of wood wands if the person puts more effort than picking the first stick that meets dimension requirements I have no problem with it. It's also fairly cheap and can add an RP dimension if your character calls for it. I actually spent a weekend originally looking for a branch for my ritual wand (Nature's Avenger), stripped it bare, cut and smoothed the ends down, carved a few bits and pieces in and RPed with people throughout about the wand, wood, carving, and magic IG. I'd like to add a nice ribbon or handle to it so I dont lose it.

I'd caution folks about using wood for wands, potential is there to snap and stab yourself on a splinter.

I've been using wood wands ever since the wand rules were clarified. I haven't had one snap, and yes I did buy the one I listed above from Alivan's. I am willing to loan one out if anyone wants to play with it.

-Ryan

Ryan,

I think Aaron was refferencing the likelyhood of fallen wood sticks to snap/splinter/etc. I could be wrong. Nothing wrong with your wand at all, its quite nice, I don't think its rustic enough for Jehan... though :)

I'm eventually going to get around to playing an Orc celestialist... Assuming the dimensions fit the rules, he's probably just going to use something like this.

I use a painted wooden wand (built from a dowel, not a twig, though) for my ice wand, and a leather-wrapped painted-PVC wand (the twacking-stick of the Forsaken!) for my flame wand, and I'm pretty sure that both will last an eternity. I usually borrow a Forsaken wand from Dure'dhel when I need Stone or Lightning (and we all know that his Lightning Wand rep will last FOREVER). ;)

But I'm always open to flashy new wands for me to use for Stone and Lightning!

KyleSchmelz said:
I'm eventually going to get around to playing an Orc celestialist... Assuming the dimensions fit the rules, he's probably just going to use something like this.

I had found a deer bone at game that I had planned to use after bleaching and marking runes, it looked epic sweet... then it was 1/2 an inch too short :(

Back