Wards and DFMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMoriarty

Marshal
I'd like to verify my understanding of the post here on Destroy Magic and Formal Magics on Buildings, based on a previous ruling:

https://alliancelarp.com/forum/threads/destroy-magic-and-rituals-on-buildings.17039/#post-173803

Given the diagram below:

F7nDQ6W.png

• Where A, B, C, D are Wards cast on individual rooms (One casting each)
  • E is a Ward cast on the entire building (3 Castings - Size 3, 2 portals)
  • F is a Celestial Circle phys-repped by rope
  • G is a Earth Circle phys-repped by chalk on the floor
  • OOG is out of game areas.
  • 1 is the Attacker's Circle.
1) Is this setup valid?
2) When a DM (Celestial) affects this setup, only the Ward E is affected.
- assuming #2 is successful:
3) When a second DM (Celestial) goes off, A, B, C, D are affected, but F and G are unaffected
4) If instead a second DM (Earth) goes off, G is affected, but A,B,C,D, and F are unaffected.

5) In addition, are Circles capable of penetrating through solid surfaces provided a hole already exists? IE can I pass a rope phys-rep through doors and windows in order to tighten the diameter of my circle?

Thanks!

Attachments

• DFM_A.png
    DFM_A.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 0
This post is to inform you that your question is currently being discussed by the ARC and once some clarification has been made will be posted here. Depending on the level of clarification and discussion (and potential involvement of the Owners or other national staff, if needed) this may take time.

Answers for you!

1) Is this setup valid?
Yes, but would need several people to cast the attackers circle to make it large enough.

2) When a DM (Celestial) affects this setup, only the Ward E is affected.
Yes, if that is the target of the ritual.

- assuming #2 is successful:
3) When a second DM (Celestial) goes off, A, B, C, D are affected, but F and G are unaffected
In order to cast Destroy Formal Magic you must pick ONE target and be in constant contact with it for the duration of the ritual (as per the Destroy Formal Magic scroll). It does not destroy everything in the circle, thus only what the formalist was targeting would be destroyed.

4) If instead a second DM (Earth) goes off, G is affected, but A,B,C,D, and F are unaffected.
Again you would need to be targeting the earth circle, which includes touching it for the duration of the ritual, so the formalist would need to destroy the ward protecting it first.

5) In addition, are Circles capable of penetrating through solid surfaces provided a hole already exists? IE can I pass a rope phys-rep through doors and windows in order to tighten the diameter of my circle?
A Circle can be put up anywhere that its surface can remain (basically) intact and reasonably flat (ask your local Marshals if you're not sure). So for example you could put one around a building, but if you want to do it in a doorway you need to leave the door open the whole time that the Circle is up (as the CoP would permanently "hold it open" IG). Similarly, you couldn't drill a hole through the wall, run a rope through it, and then cast a Circle on the resulting circle physrep as its imaginary cylinder would be chopped up - a good rule of thumb would be "if you can't walk through the opening, it's probably not going to work for a circle". Windows would be a no-go, as you then don't have a single cohesive level "floor" for the Circle (this is intended to be a roughly 2-dimensional shape, not 3-dimensional).

-Bryan Gregory
ARC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back