Wards

Slice

Fighter
I know there was a thread for rules questions that came up at the Feb Event, but for some reason I could not find it. I apologize if this question was already asked and answered.

If you are not invested in a warded building, and the door to the building is closed, can you open the door? I have heard this ruling go both ways, but if there is not already a solid ruling, I think we should decide on one.

Thanks!

Holly

Seconded, I've heard it ruled and enforced both ways as well.

I can't find any documented rulings one way or another.

My opinion:
The door is part of the Ward, and thus can only be opened if you are invested within it. You cannot Destroy a door that is part of a Ward.

The rulling I was given depends on the door. If you are trying to open a door outside a warded building that leads to the building, and the ward is clearly past the door, no problem. (I know this is rather hard to do, and is mostly seen when its a warded room inside a building. The main doors are not effected in any way by the ward. but with some construction it would be doable to have a door frame outside an ward. like if in millers we rigged up a doorframe on the main porch and then warded the main building but not the porch, people could open and close the porch door freely).
If the ward is clearly on the building the door is connected to, and is not beyond the door itself, then the door is part of the ward and can only be opened and closed by someone invested in the ward (inside or outside BTW so if your in a warded house and the owner left the door open, you cant close it if your not invested.)

If the door is fully inside the ward (aka leads to an inner room) you may freely open that door, however like inner walls and the like, it is still protected from damage and effects.

I seem to recall hearing a final ruling on this that was "No you cannot open a door to a fully Warded building."

In any case what can you do if you could open the door. Taunt the people inside, Piss them off by opening the door when it's freezing cold out. There is not much you can do with an open door on a warded cabin anyway.

Also if you wanna piss the people inside off all you have to do is bang on the side of the cabin. :D

Egor said:
I seem to recall hearing a final ruling on this that was "No you cannot open a door to a fully Warded building."

In any case what can you do if you could open the door. Taunt the people inside, Piss them off by opening the door when it's freezing cold out. There is not much you can do with an open door on a warded cabin anyway.

Also if you wanna piss the people inside off all you have to do is bang on the side of the cabin. :D

This was what Bryan had to asy. You cannot open doors of a warded cabin.

Egor said:
In any case what can you do if you could open the door.
  • Gypsy curse them.
  • Vampire charm (or other Gaze attack) them.
  • Maintain a Line of Sight effect on someone.
  • Encourage them to try and come outside to close the door so that you can attack them.
  • Look inside the cabin to see where the characters sleep to speed up your actions later when you shadowwalk into their cabin to kill them/rob them/etc.
  • Peek at all the evil necromantic scrolls they have sitting on their table.
  • Scream "Good morning" with less sound buffer.
I'm sure the list could grow.

We have ruled on this in the past. People who could not enter wards were doing jackassish things like simply opening the door and leaving it open to drain off heat from the buildings or some of the other things already noted. I'm surprised people have forgotten, it was something we got a *lot* of complaints about.

Actually as far as I remember the big question was about whether someone who WAS Invested in a Ward could open/close the front door on a cabin without completely entering/leaving the Ward to do so, since the rule as I understand it is you cannot simply stick your arm through a Ward (or Circle) you must move completely in or out of it, otherwise you'd have people sticking their hands out to whack on people, cast spells, etc. So, with that in mind, can I open and close the door of my cabin and still be considered within the bounds of my Ward or am I vulnerable to stuff while in the act because I have to step out for a brief instant to grab the door and swing it closed?

Back