Waylay tips

evi1r0n

Baron
So now that latex weapons are allowed without waylay tips (but are illegal to use for waylay) can I use a traditional boffer without the clunky waylay tip (that would be illegal for waylay)? I never intend to get the waylay skill as a Templar.

Im just taking a guess but I would say no. Because there is still a chance that someone else at some point could use your weapon and not realize it didnt have one. If someone else takes a latex weapon its obvious you cant use it for waylaying.

I'm not sure. With the wording in the original announcement on the national board here. It is implied(and cleared up later) that a weapon that is legal for waylaying and thrusting can be used to waylay and thrust regardless of if it's a latex weapon or not, implying that the reverse is true as well. Personally I would have to see a phys-rep like the one you're describing before I would say Yea or Nay on it, but ain't that always the way?

I think I can pretty clearly state that it was not the intention of this owner to allow for non-latex weapons withouth thrusting and waylay tips.

I don't think it was anyones intention, because the question hadn't been asked. On the national boards they make a distinction between a hand-made weapons covered in latex(Like the one Nigel made for Seth) and the store-bought ones, saying they're legal for thrusting if they have thrusting tips, and the same for waylay. What if you made a latex weapon at home that wasn't thrust or waylay legal? Would that be okay for use within the current latex weapon guidelines? It seems like it would if it followed the other size and padding requirements. What difference does it make if the exact same weapon is coated with duct tape or latex?

I think it's less a distinction between latex and duct tape, and more a distinction between standard construction per the rulebook and alternate construction.

I would have to say that, if the weapon is going to look in all ways like a standard construction weapon, then it needs to have the squishy tips.

I mean, to be fair, I play a sarr. I have claws. They're distinctively claws. I still put the waylay tip on even though 1. you can't waylay with a claw and 2. sarr can't waylay.

There are certain alterations you can manage on the standard construction weapons that won't change the thrust or waylay capabilities of that weapon. Coating in latex instead of duct tape or using the thinner 3/8" foam for the shaft of headed weapons (as most commercially constructed headed weapons do since the shaft is not intended nor considered a striking surface) are just two off the top of my head.

The point is, if I drop my funky construction weapon on the ground and someone else goes to pick it up and use it, they need to be able to identify the type of weapon it is in the time it takes for them to snatch it up and start swinging. The standard construction boffer is distinctive as safe for any and all legal combat maneuvers in the game. The commercial latex and other alternate construction weapons need to be clearly differentiated at that first glance as not being legal for certain maneuvers.

Is this something I should ask ARC?

Bottom line for me is: the waylay tips are clunky and useless for most characters/npcs. With the addition of latex weapons it gives an unfair advantage to those people who can shell out 100 bucks for a latex sword. I like my boffer and could make it better without the restriction of a waylay tip getting in the way. I mean if you are going to have a "special" rule for weapon construction than it should apply across the boards, not favoring these new fangled weapons. =)

The eliumination of waylay tips was discussed. I will look through the posts tomorrow and give a summary of the rationale and arguments.

A discussion has begun on this very topic on the owners' board. There is some feeling that removing the requirement for waylay and thrusting tips would be met with a lot of protest by the player base and that it would be seen as too much change too quickly.

After thought I agree with the sentiment that they should be removed from being required. A standard should apply to all weapons, not one "class" of weapons. If latex is not required to have them, then other weapons should not be required to have them, either. You just would not be allowed to stab or waylay with those weapons.

This is not the official policy of Alliance, though. For now, all non-latex weapons *must* have waylay and thrusting tips.

Thanks Dave. Hell, I'm looking forward to not having to tip bows if that goes down. :lol:

Check it out!
http://www.alliancelarp.com/forum/viewt ... =98&t=7558

The owners have voted on and passed three changes to the basic weapon construction guidelines in the book.

These are as follows:

1. The maximum length of most weapons has been increased to match the minimum length of the next larger weapon of its type. This includes the following changes:

- Short bows may be up to 33" long
- Light crossbows may be up to 25" long
- Small weapons (Bludgeon, Dagger, Hatchet) may be up to 25" long
- Short weapons (Short Axe, Short Blunt, Short Sword) may be up to 33" long
- Long weapons (Long Blunt, Long Sword) may be up to 45" long

Please note that, as always, this means a weapon *must* be classified properly based on its length. A weapon the tiniest fraction of an inch below 45" will be a Long weapon, while the tiniest fraction of an inch above 45" will be a Two Handed weapon.

2. Waylay tips are no longer required for all weapons. Note that as specified under "Weapon Construction", tips must still have padding and a core should not be able to be felt. This includes the following text changes:

- On page 67, under the fourth paragraph of "Waylay", add "This skill may only be perfomed by a weapon which includes a safe and valid Waylay Tip. It is the responsibility of the person performing the Waylay to ensure the weapon they are using has a Waylay Tip."
- On page 79, under the seventh paragraph of "Weapon Construction", add "A player may choose to add or not to add a Waylay Tip to their weapon. This follows the same rules as a thrusting tip (see below) and is put on the pommel end of the weapon. A weapon without a Waylay Tip may not be used with the Waylay skill."

3. Open cell tips are no longer required for Bow physreps. This includes the following text change:

- On page 81, add the following line to the second paragraph under "Bows": "A Bow physrep is not required to have open cell tips on its ends. However, as with all weapons, sufficient padding must be in place that the core of the weapon may not be felt and a marshal judges the weapon to be safe in combat."

-Bryan Gregory
ARC

I had my waylay tip off an hour after that posted. :D

Back