Weapon building advice

Alajos

Hi!

My friends and I are going to LARP for the first time, and we want to come with these sweet weapons to fight with. I read the rules on weapon building, and I'm aware that the stabbing end has to be wider than an eye socket, but the weapons I am imagining creating are a bit more complicated than simply a sword. They are dual crescent axes modeled after one of my favorite video game characters. I've uploaded a picture of what they look like as an attachment. The tip of the spear looking part I've assumed that I would veer off of making it spear like as I would like to be able to stab with the weapon. As for the axe part, I would like some advice on how to make it look as close to the picture as possible without making it illegal to use in combat. I was planning on using the same method and materials seen in this video to make them:

I guess what I really want to know are answers to these questions:

Are the materials used in this video going to make my weapons illegal for fighting? Or if I make the weapons (and others) out of whats in the video, will they be allowed to see combat?

Are the axes I attached a picture of going to end up rejected if I make the axe part just like how it shows up in the picture?

Thank you to anyone in advance for any help or advice.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 9.48.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 9.48.09 PM.png
    167 KB · Views: 22
Hello,

What video are you referring to?

There isn't anything inherently wrong with the ax design that would prevent it from combat. However I would caution that unless this will be a two handed weapon the amount of foam and tape will make the ax very unwieldy and slow to swing. The narrow bits often can be torn off in combat if they don't have a solid connection. I recently whittled a cool looking hammer down to a nub doing something similar and no parts of my weapon were as narrow as what you have in the picture there.

If you are doing the poured latex molded weapons please be aware that you won't be able to stab with them as per our safety rules. Since you said you wanted to you'll need to make the weapon out of open cell foam and tape.

That said I am a big proponent of making fun/crazy weapons. You'll want to experiment with it though as I said the part that sticks out in a thin crescent shape will be made of sponge and tape... it's likely to flop around and get caught on things. If you filled in the gap between it and the spear head you would reduce that quite a bit. However the weight will still be way out at the end of the weapon and potentially much slower than you might like. My suggestion is stick to the design but with the ax head at like 30% of the size that is in the original art. You'll get much closer to what you are looking for and it being a effective weapon.

That method cannot be used in our game I’m afraid. That foam type is too rigid and no cores can be used on anything that extends off the weapon. The ax head has to stand in foam or latex alone. Nothing to hold it up but it’s tape or material.

May I recommend that you wait on going deep into the special weapons and the costs to make them. When you come to the event I’ll open up monster camp to you to get a look at how our weapons work and where you can make art meet functional weapon. If you pm me I have a few tutorials saved at home of things that can work and I can give you details on the pros and cons of them.

Back