Weapon Crafting : What has worked for you?

My understanding, and correct me if I am wrong, wast that ithere was an update that pf the weapon wasn't thrust allowed (mace, axe staff, etc.) You could forgo the thrusting tip the way a waylay tip isn't necessary no matter how the weapon is created. But due to computer issues I can't easily check the addendum.

markusdark said:
My understanding, and correct me if I am wrong, wast that ithere was an update that pf the weapon wasn't thrust allowed (mace, axe staff, etc.) You could forgo the thrusting tip the way a waylay tip isn't necessary no matter how the weapon is created. But due to computer issues I can't easily check the addendum.

I thought I saw something about it back in January, which is why I made them that way. Overall, adding them is not an issue...except for the overall length of the one I made for myself may be just over max.

Here's an ARC Ruling to thrusting with a latex weapon:

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=9398

As with most weapon construction questions, you will need to refer to specific chapters as to whether they would or wouldn't pass a specific weapon.

In general, the specific coating used on the outside doesn't necessarily force a chapter to call a weapon one type or another. The rules pertaining to "latex weapons" are generally in regards to storebought latex weapons, which have a significantly different construction method than "homemade" weapons. The Alliance rules state that "alternative weapon construction techniques may be used" - you can always *try* to get something passed by your chapter and see what reaction you get. If you have a weapon which is in every way a boffer weapon as per the construction guidelines in the rulebook, but with a latex coating, it is probably more akin to a boffer weapon than the rules that refer to latex weapons specifically.

At the end of the day, no matter what, the Alliance prohibits thrusting on blunt weapons or weapons without a thrusting tip. Your local chapter may interpret the weapon guidelines as prohibiting thrusting on all weapons with a touch of latex on them, or it may allow thrusting with latex weapons that have Alliance-safe thrusting tips on them. The weapon construction rules are written in such a way that ARC cannot make Alliance-wide rulings which absolutely allow or prohibit any specific alternative weapon construction technique.

So, in the end, and as always, ask your local Weapons Marshal as to if you can use a staff without thrusting tips on it. I'd also suggest that someone submits a rules update request to change the rules to having the option of not putting thrusting tips on non-thrusting weapons - that is if you think it is something that makes sense.

The only danger of making it an option on all weapons is that in the extreme scenario of you losing your weapon in the game due to a shatter or something else, and you see a duct taped or cloth covered sword on the ground, you may not be able to instantly note if it has a thrusting tip on it or not and wind up picking it up and thrusting with it immediately. However, that situation won't happen (if following the rules) with non-thrusting weapons.

The SCA denotes weapons with a thrusting tip by putting red tape on the tip of the weapon, but I don't think that we need to go to that level of things.

We curently do a weapons check before every event and tie a piece of colored tape on it to show that weapons has been inspected. A simple twist to add one color for approved weapon and another color for approved thrusting weapon could be done and you could easily look at weapon on ground and know if i can thrust or not.

Back