Weapon Guidelines

A

Anonymous

Hello again,
It's Robert. I'm working on the aspects of my character and I would like to use a staff for a weapon. After reveiwing the guidelines I've made a bambo staff sheathed in 1/2" insulation and with my thrusting tips its about 5'10" long. I know all of that is inside the guidelines for weapon construction but, I do not want to "cut out" 2 grips on the staff. I would like to keep the pipe insulation whole and tape off the 3 feet in the middle area to grip it with a white duct tape with the rest of it being brown. Is the acceptable to do?
Thanks
~R o b

Locked said:
After reveiwing the guidelines I've made a bambo staff sheathed in 1/2" insulation and with my thrusting tips its about 5'10" long.
The minimum sheathing is 5/8", which is 1/8" more padding than you are currently using.

I do not want to "cut out" 2 grips on the staff. I would like to keep the pipe insulation whole and tape off the 3 feet in the middle area to grip it with a white duct tape with the rest of it being brown. Is the acceptable to do?
I have seen a few staves like this. It is acceptable, although, from personal experience, I would recommend using athletic tape for your "grip", as it provides greater, well, grip.

White tape

I'm not sure about white tape, since that usually means a magic weapon...

I wrap my weapon grips with tennis racket under and over wrap, available at any sporting goods retailer, after the unfortunate blood blister/athletic tape incident (but that's just personal preference)

Freestyle staves (ones with uniform padding down the entire length) are much easier to physically disarm, in my experience...

Your mileage may vary.
-Gid

Walter_Lathann said:
I'm not sure about white tape, since that usually means a magic weapon...
White on over 50% of the striking surface is magic weapon. White on a significant amount of the striking surface but under 50% is discouraged, and likely an attempt to confuse people. White on the grip is acceptable.

Another potential long-term hazard, Rob, on the way you're doing it is that after rigorous use, the cell foam wears down, and you tend to get slippage within the padding. I'd recommend using some form of glue to help ensure that the foam remains secure and in place.

Back