Weapon help!

Drakenfist

Hey folks! So I got some new weaponry for this coming season! These nice blades I got, I feel are at the point that I can't tell for sure. (I have time to return them and would rather not find out come june after the time runs up) anyone available for me to send pictures or something to let me know if it should be?

Should be able to post up pictures here. Generally a couple things you are looking for, especially if they are latex weapons. There are some pretty awesome latex weapons, but most are not designed for heavy larp use (more decorative or cosplay).

Can you feel the ends? The hilt isn't as important as the tip for the blade. Can you feel the core through out the length of blade?

Is it whipy? Is there a lot of bend? If there is, prob a no go, as those hurt and significantly higher chance of breaking.

I will note that its epic armoury, which has a good track record of being approved in alliance according to the forums (and my experience)

We have that sword at in South Michigan's Monster camp. You'll want to wear it in a bit but, it's fine (At least in our game it would be, I can't speak for TC, I only occasionally pretend to be a marshall here.). Spend some time swinging it at things, or work it with a rubber mallet. Latex weapons are softer in the summer, and harder in the winter because of the cold.

It's pretty short, are you fighting with 2 of them?

You cannot stab with it.

I am fighting with two of them! And I actually picked it because its short! Its a solid 25in long, with max small weapons being 28 in. I like the thought of fighting with knives. Hearing its good in So. Mi is great! Can a TC marshall give a second opinion?

One of my main concerns is how hard the actual blade is compared to my other weapons. Its also thinner. Parts of me are just tempted to return them and get others that I see are more like my other blades, but now I'm trying to find one that fits as well

<shameless_plug>
A great way to soften them up would be at Somi's one day April 8th. You already know they'll be accepted, so you can try them out at an Alliance event.
One days are tough to travel for, so if you need a place to stay, post over on Somi's Oog boards, I'm sure we can find you a guest room/couch to surf. (this goes for anyone looking to travel for a one day)
</shameless_plug>

Seriously though, are you comparing these latex weapons to boffer style, or other Latex weapons? Most latex weapons are thinner.

Tangent note, fighting with dual knives (small weapons) is really, really hard at Alliance. If you're looking to dual wield I'd think about getting at least 'short' weapon length reps.

-Joe

I think it's important that you do what makes your game the best. So you do you. The rest is just my opinion as a pcing as a fighter for a long time. Feel free to ignore me.

2 daggers will likely mean you're going to lose most fights to experienced fighters, even if they're holding back. (When I'm running plot, I'm not always fighting at 100%, I'm often not.)
If that's cool with you, then great. I wear a ton of extra armor that slows me down, even though my character has arcane armor. So I can appreciate doing stuff for looks or character concept.

I don't even think most people should fight with 2 short swords if you can avoid it. Despite what my girlfriend says, I am of the belief that with the way modern weapons are constructed, the amount of speed you lose when attacking with a long sword is minimal. So I'd consider going long sword/short sword or short sword/spear. I fight with claws a lot (which are short sword sized), and I mostly find myself wishing that I had the reach of a long weapon.

My fighting style tends to be more conservative when I'm pcing, so it means a lot of trying to take hits with out exposing myself to the chance for someone to strike me back. You need to reach farther or be closer with 2 daggers. A lot closer. Which means, you're exposing a lot more valid targets to a potential attacker. And with two daggers, I'm not sure how you could ever get around a shield.

Judging by the style you've shown me. I'd recommend these.
http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/p-4964-dark-soul-stealer-sword.aspx
http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/p-23433-dark-elven-larp-longblade.aspx
http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/p-22303-drow-lord-larp-longsword.aspx
http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/p-26093-eli-wasteland-walker-larp-sword.aspx
http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/p-4962-assassin-sword-special-edition.aspx

Thanks for the imput! I was looking at a lot of these to be honest! Though I will note that the eli one is only about 5 in. longer (mine rest at a comfortable 25 in, with a 17 in blade). I'm going to play test mine today, see how I do, then decide. But thanks a lot!

There are no hard set rules for latex weapons other than the weapon must look like what it is intended to be, blade, blunt exc.
No waylay or thrust unless safety tipped, the length must be close to the description, (with in an inch). No excessive whip, as far as feeling the core through the foam, almost all latex weapons fall short in that regard, so we place a rule on there use. NO HARD SWINGS, if you choose to use a latex weapon and any staff member receives a single compliant of a hard hit from said weapon from any player, the user will be asked to switch to foam buffer, and will be reviewed to use latex weapons in the future. So buy at your own risk.

Back