Weapon Shield and Disarm Strike

Tantarus

Knight
I cant seem to find Weapon shield's definition outside of it being just renamed magic armor.

So my question is if I have a shield and it gets his with a disarm/shatter weapon attack, does the weapon shield trigger and protect it?

I cant seem to find Weapon shield's definition outside of it being just renamed magic armor.

So my question is if I have a shield and it gets his with a disarm/shatter weapon attack, does the weapon shield trigger and protect it?

Weapon shield's definition is that it stops a Weapon-qualifier attack. Weapon Disarm and Weapon Shatter would trigger it, as they're Weapon-qualifier attacks.

However, if someone used the Poison Strike to turn it into a Poison Disarm or a Poison Shatter, you'd need a Poison shield to stop it.

Does that help?

Yeah I guess that makes sense. So Eviscerate against my shield does not set off weapon shield but a weapon shatter would? I guess that just seems awkward to me.

So a weapon shield stops the next weapon attack that would effect you?

Yeah I guess that makes sense. So Eviscerate against my shield does not set off weapon shield but a weapon shatter would? I guess that just seems awkward to me.

So a weapon shield stops the next weapon attack that would effect you?

Exactly. The only reason it seems awkward is because a legal hit for Shatter/Disarm is different than every other attack.

So if my shield is rendered and is not effected by a weapon shatter, does it burn my weapon shield as I would not be effected by the attack? I assume yes, but we are in side exceptions/rules here already, so figured I would ask to be sure.

Still pops your Weapon Shield. That's no different than any other situation - if I throw a Ward at my buddy, it still pops his Spell Shield even though he's not a valid target, and a Shatter spell targeting an Indestructible shield still pops a Spell Shield.

Indestructibility does not convey non-targetability. Weapon Shield intercepts before it makes contact, Indestructibility protects it after contact.

Anytime, buddy!

Okay 1 more question! For some reason my head does not want to wrap around this.

If a weapon disarm hits me in the body does that pop the weapon shield? As it is not a legal target but is still a weapon attack?

Okay 1 more question! For some reason my head does not want to wrap around this.

If a weapon disarm hits me in the body does that pop the weapon shield? As it is not a legal target but is still a weapon attack?

I want to say "Yes," because it's a legal hit on an illegal target, much like an illegal target Disarm spell would still pop a spell shield. However, I feel that's a good enough question to warrant an "Intent by Owner" thing.

@Durnic and @Dan Nickname Beshers ?

The answer is [drumroll] TBD. We don't have a definite answer on what happens when Weapon Disarm/Shatter hit the body, so any ruling farther down the tech tree isn't possible.

Answers from me may be very sporadic this week, by the way. I'm on vacation with my wife and sons, so I'm not spending a lot of time on the webz.

Just a couple notes: Shatter hitting the body will take out their armor. Disarm is spelled out thusly in the Playtest packet:

"Disarm: Note that if this effect is delivered via the Weapon qualifier, no target may be called and only the target which is struck will be affected. If it is an invalid target for a Disarm (such as an item which is not held in the hand) the object will remain unaffected."

Since your body is not something you can hold in your hand (dirty jokes aside), it would remain unaffected. Note that in this case your Disarm could NOT be meditated back, as it still landed a valid attack, the object was just "unaffected". Or, to make a different comparison, it's a valid landed attack that the target (a body) is Immune to - just like a Normal Slay hitting a monster immune to Normal, or a weapon swing of insufficient strength targeting someone under a Fortress or Threshold, etc. etc.

So to sum up Weapon Shield operates like so:

Guards against the first weapon carrier hit against your body.
Unless it is Weapon Disarm and then it will ONLY go off if your shield/weapons are hit.
Except in the case of Weapon Shatter it will go off if it hits your body or your weapon/shield?

Just a couple notes: Shatter hitting the body will take out their armor. Disarm is spelled out thusly in the Playtest packet:

"Disarm: Note that if this effect is delivered via the Weapon qualifier, no target may be called and only the target which is struck will be affected. If it is an invalid target for a Disarm (such as an item which is not held in the hand) the object will remain unaffected."

Since your body is not something you can hold in your hand (dirty jokes aside), it would remain unaffected. Note that in this case your Disarm could NOT be meditated back, as it still landed a valid attack, the object was just "unaffected". Or, to make a different comparison, it's a valid landed attack that the target (a body) is Immune to - just like a Normal Slay hitting a monster immune to Normal, or a weapon swing of insufficient strength targeting someone under a Fortress or Threshold, etc. etc.

Re: Bolded section -

The wording "may" implies that I can totally still call a target. Is this intended?

Does this mean I could walk up behind Tantarus, call "Disarm Sword!" and hit him in the body?

I think you missed the "no target" right before that. "No target may be called..."

I think you missed the "no target" right before that. "No target may be called..."

I didn't miss that at all.

"No target may be called," is different than "No target can be called."

If the intent of the wording is to mean "Don't call a freaking target, just swing and hit, bruh!" then a better wording would be, "Note that if this effect is delivered via the Weapon qualifier, the user should state "Disarm," and only the target which is struck will be affected."

So to sum up Weapon Shield operates like so:

Guards against the first weapon carrier hit against your body.
Unless it is Weapon Disarm and then it will ONLY go off if your shield/weapons are hit.
Except in the case of Weapon Shatter it will go off if it hits your body or your weapon/shield?

I think you're overthinking this. A Weapon Shield would still go off first in my prior example - I was trying to address the "what's targetable and does it count as 'resolved'" question.

Weapon Shield will stop the first Weapon qualifier hit against your body or your possessions, if the attack would affect them.
"10 Normal" against your body? Triggers a Weapon Shield.
"10 Normal" against your body, even if you're immune to it? Tough luck, still triggers a Weapon Shield.
"10 Normal" against your shield? Doesn't trigger a Weapon Shield.
"Shatter" against your body? Triggers a Weapon Shield.
"Disarm" against your body? Triggers a Weapon Shield (still a valid hit, your body is just Immune to Disarm effects).
"Shatter" or "Disarm" against your shield? Triggers a Weapon Shield.

Or to put it a different way, Weapon Shield still does all the stuff Magic Armor does in 1.3, with the addition of protecting your possessions against a Shatter or Disarm.

Note that the above examples are all regarding weapon-delivered Disarm or Shatter attacks. If someone uses, say, a Memory Strike to swing "Spell Disarm Sword!" and hits you in the foot, it still avoids your Weapon Shield and disarms your sword (presuming no spell defenses). Again, pretty similar to how it works in 1.3.

@Draven: If you swing Disarm or Shatter using the skill of the same name, it cannot be called with a declared target. Only when it's delivered via a Spell can a target be declared. See example above.

-Bryan

The answer is [drumroll] TBD. We don't have a definite answer on what happens when Weapon Disarm/Shatter hit the body, so any ruling farther down the tech tree isn't possible.

I feel the need to quote this again. The owner clearly stated that this is a part of the rules that are not completely finalized, so we are talking about an edge case that doesn't really have an answer.

Best advice: Playtest both ways (or all the ways if there are more than 2) and give input on all of them.

-MS

I didn't miss that at all.

"No target may be called," is different than "No target can be called."

If the intent of the wording is to mean "Don't call a freaking target, just swing and hit, bruh!" then a better wording would be, "Note that if this effect is delivered via the Weapon qualifier, the user should state "Disarm," and only the target which is struck will be affected."

Bryan cleared this up but I think it's important to note it states "No target may be called," not "A target may or may not be called". The "No" in front of the sentence makes it so you are unable to call a target. It's similar to "A target may not be called". Yay English language.

Back