Weapon Tips

A

Anonymous

Hello,

The Kelowna group is having a big weapons creation day on Sunday to get a start on our npc weapons and personal ones. After seeing so many cool ideas while we were down at the April event I thought I might post an see if any of you had any clever tips or ideas you might like to share with us.

I am personally interested on bow ideas but I know the others up here have interests in all weapon types.

Perfect simple designs first, then work on building things that are more complex. Assume that if you have to ask "Will this pass safety check?" that it won't, and have a spare.

~Matt, OR variety

Bows

I've been looking for ways to make the curved bows I saw at your game. Could one of you that have made one let me know how it was done.

Very carefully. :D

You basically have to bend the pvc. Use 3/4 inch pvc, and some heat. There are several ways to apply heat, but I personally do it in my kitchen over the stove. Bend very slowly, then cool it off with water (another good reason to do it in the kitchen, the water is right there.) Do little bends at a time, and all pretty gradual. If the pvc fold or gets thin (in material thickness or changes from a circle to an oval), you've ruined your peice, and need to start over. Those peices are now brittle, and are prone to breaking into shrapnel in combat. Be patient, and you might want to use gloves, since your hands will have to be fairly close to the burner, and touching the maliable pvc.

~Matt, OR variety

Leyk of Clan Ahas said:
I use boiling water from a tea kettle.

It hurts when your helper pours it all over your hands :(

Do it in game next time -- then you can resist it :p

Personally, I've had good results from a heat gun. Just wave it over the area gently and don't let it get too hot.

-Bryan

I'm the one that had the big red bow if you saw it. I used a blow torch on the PVC until it was a nice golden brown and pliable. I then set a few heavy objects on the concrete ground in the general shape of what I wanted the curve to look like and set the backed PVC in there for about 10 minutes. I don't think it even takes ten minutes, but it's better to err on the side of caution.

Thanks

Thanks for your replies, I'll have to see what method I am most successful at. If any of you have pictures of your bows, I'd love to show the others here what I am talking about so they have a better idea. Maybe a weapons picture gallery would be neat to show off peoples hard work.

Back