Weapons traps

Pendrag

So this is similar to my question on Deadman switch but its different enough I figured I should probably break it out into another thread to make it easier for people to find in the future.

The rules description for weapons trap specifically calls out how coatings applied to the trap work. I just wanted to check if the weapon trap counts other aspects of the weapon being used similarly or is the fact that coatings are called out meant to imply they are the only weapons effect carried over.

Specifically if you use a silvered weapon to set a weapons trap dose the damage the trap delivers count as silvered?

Additionally of you where to use a magic iteam to set a trap that dose say elemental damage (which is passive) would the trap deliver that damage type? (Not sure if these types of magic items will be around but figured might as well clear it up whole we are here. )

Lastly a mechanical question. Once a weapons trap has been disarmed are you able to switch to a new weapon when setting it up again? And if so dose this render the prior weapon recoverable or is it consumed at the moment it is used to set up the trap similar to Deadman switch?

If it is consumed, dose it expire at the end of an LP or is it a permanent modifier to the trap? Not sure if it falls under the same abilities rule since its a aspect of the equipment description itself not an abilities per say.

Lastly, bit of a logistical question regarding their mechanical operation. If a trigger is set to a doorway so that when a door is opened it goes off is the hold called instantaneously i.e. as soon as it triggers and the door is still mostly closed or dose it work as if the door is fully opened and then the "swing" is determined by a marshal? Similarly if there is an area of effect trap set to a doorway since it only effects the game area on one side of a doorway is it considered to effect the one triggering it if they have any part of their body over the threshold or is there a way to avoid area traps by triggering them while remaining mostly outside of a doorway?

Specifically if you use a silvered weapon to set a weapons trap dose the damage the trap delivers count as silvered?
Yes, the Weapon Trap would deliver the Silver effect.

Additionally of you where to use a magic iteam to set a trap that dose say elemental damage (which is passive) would the trap deliver that damage type? (Not sure if these types of magic items will be around but figured might as well clear it up whole we are here. )
Elemental Imbuement, Earth/Chaos Imbuement (Ritual), and Enhanced Blade (battle spell) have language requiring a "wielder"": "This Ritual creates a weapon which grants its owner the ability to channel a Foundation Element carrier through this weapon when activated. The wielder may..."; ""The recipient chooses a single type of blade when the spell is cast on them and announces the total damage of their weapon swings while saying “<effect>” as their weapon carrier instead of “normal,” “silver,” or whatever they might otherwise call." Because the text points to an active user, the benefits have not been read as applicable to Weapon Traps as it is not an active user. It's a bit of a fine distinction, but that's the call I've heard on the field and backed up in some forum chats.

Lastly a mechanical question. Once a weapons trap has been disarmed are you able to switch to a new weapon when setting it up again? And if so dose this render the prior weapon recoverable or is it consumed at the moment it is used to set up the trap similar to Deadman switch?
The Weapon Tag in a Weapon Trap is largely cosmetic as it does not affect the damage, only the radius of effect. So, you can remove the Weapon Tag (which will remain viable) and the Weapon Trap is still viable for future user (albeit missing a key component). The two tags are not inseparable or consumed when conjoined, as far as I know.

Lastly, bit of a logistical question regarding their mechanical operation. If a trigger is set to a doorway so that when a door is opened it goes off is the hold called instantaneously i.e. as soon as it triggers and the door is still mostly closed or dose it work as if the door is fully opened and then the "swing" is determined by a marshal?
Trap goes off; immediately call Hold; measure radius; everyone takes effect. The Weapon Trap radius-of-effect will tag folks in an sphere around the pivot, regardless of obstruction. The game-mechanic of the trap works differently from the "real-world" physics of such an object. Think of it as packets-shooting in a constrained-sphere centered on the pivot point of the Weapon Trap out to a radius of the weapon-length. You're not safe (in a blind corner or behind the door or under a table or in an alcove, etc.) from a Weapon Trap if you're in the radius of the weapon.

Similarly if there is an area of effect trap set to a doorway since it only effects the game area on one side of a doorway is it considered to effect the one triggering it if they have any part of their body over the threshold or is there a way to avoid area traps by triggering them while remaining mostly outside of a doorway?
If the person triggering it jabbed it with a pole (or something akin), they would be affected by the Area Trap since something they control is within the Area of Effect when it goes off. I -think- if you throw something (say, your least favorite fighter friend) at the Area Trap from outside the 'blast-zone' you should be safe.

Yes, the Weapon Trap would deliver the Silver effect.

Elemental Imbuement, Earth/Chaos Imbuement (Ritual), and Enhanced Blade (battle spell) have language requiring a "wielder"": "This Ritual creates a weapon which grants its owner the ability to channel a Foundation Element carrier through this weapon when activated. The wielder may..."; ""The recipient chooses a single type of blade when the spell is cast on them and announces the total damage of their weapon swings while saying “<effect>” as their weapon carrier instead of “normal,” “silver,” or whatever they might otherwise call." Because the text points to an active user, the benefits have not been read as applicable to Weapon Traps as it is not an active user. It's a bit of a fine distinction, but that's the call I've heard on the field and backed up in some forum chats.

The Weapon Tag in a Weapon Trap is largely cosmetic as it does not affect the damage, only the radius of effect. So, you can remove the Weapon Tag (which will remain viable) and the Weapon Trap is still viable for future user (albeit missing a key component). The two tags are not inseparable or consumed when conjoined, as far as I know.

Trap goes off; immediately call Hold; measure radius; everyone takes effect. The Weapon Trap radius-of-effect will tag folks in an sphere around the pivot, regardless of obstruction. The game-mechanic of the trap works differently from the "real-world" physics of such an object. Think of it as packets-shooting in a constrained-sphere centered on the pivot point of the Weapon Trap out to a radius of the weapon-length. You're not safe (in a blind corner or behind the door or under a table or in an alcove, etc.) from a Weapon Trap if you're in the radius of the weapon.

If the person triggering it jabbed it with a pole (or something akin), they would be affected by the Area Trap since something they control is within the Area of Effect when it goes off. I -think- if you throw something (say, your least favorite fighter friend) at the Area Trap from outside the 'blast-zone' you should be safe.
Thank you, that is all very helpful.

Back