Weather this weekend

I know that some of you think this jinxes the weather somehow but it's better to be warned so you can be ready, if you ask me!

Bottom line: It's gonna be HOT (although, being up in the mountains, it should be cooler than many other places). Come prepared: Drink lots of water and gatorade. Don't drink colas, as they will make it worse.

FRIDAY: Slight chance of a thunderstorm. Highs in the low 90s and lows in the upper 60s.

SATURDAY: Partly cloudy. Highs in the low 90s and lows in the mid 60s.

SUNDAY: Times of sun and clouds. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the mid 60s.

I will be bringing extra cold packs for heat emergencies. Take it from me, I've done the 130+ degree weather without injury: STAY HYDRATED. Take time to sit in the shade and cool off and wear loose fitting clothing. Don't be a "tough" guy or girl. Once you have a heat injury (Heat cramps, exhaustion, stroke) you are forever more susceptible to them. I love my job, but I love you guys and gals healthy more, don't make me work this weekend. :lol:

Biggest indicators of heat related injuries are cramping. If you stop sweating things are getting serious, find myself or Cortni and we'll take care of ya.

Honestly, Mike, I hope it DOES jinx the weather. :funny:

Can we get an official armor or no armor day asap each day? I may be sporting plate this weekend

You know, personally I don't like "no armor days" -- but I understand the necessity of them.

If it's too hot to wear armor, then it's too hot in-game too.

However, I am perfectly aware that players will say "Yeah, but my character would still wear his or her armor -- after all, we're going into a life or death struggle here!" And, the fact is, even though the player takes the risk, we shouldn't encourage it.

So yeah, no armor days may very well happen this weekend.

Given the option from the character's view point: Go in and get chopped to pieces and be more likely to die, or suck it up and deal with heat that could also harm me but has a lower probability of fatality, I would choose armor. Heck we all did when we were in the desert. It was hot and miserable but you better believe I wore my flak vest, ceramic plates, and helmet.

Since the player isn't under the same mortal peril, it's easier to step back and say it's too hot for me to take the risk of a real injury to prevent pretend wounds.

Like you said, just because the character takes the risk I don't want to encourage the players to as well. I don't want a Grimm pressure cooker. BBQ dwarf is tough and hairy, not tasty.

Since the PA Dept of Health and National Weather service just issued an excessive heat watch and heat advisory for central and eastern PA this is looking to be more and more of a concern. :shock:

Ill place it like this. My character can do many things i cant and is hardy eniugh to resist heat and elements etc. kyle is a fat jolly guy. kyle is willing to don the gear and such kyle just would pass out. plus we may underground in game etc. just sayin..

Let's wait until Saturday to make any decisions. Weathermen are frightfully inaccurate and that camp site has a particular habit of hitting us with the most unlikely weather.

Think ahead, bring water (then bring more). If the sun is trying to fry up some Dwarf Jerky on Saturday or Sunday, we can deal with it then.

-MS

We're gonna deal with the sun? Awesome. Can we do that tomorrow cause I'm not looking forward to my 24 hour shift in h*ll, aka the back of an ambulance with barely functional a/c. It's more like an awesome fan for the hot air than actual cooling device. Kyle, sun problem, get on it.

Speaking of health, this heat is making Heidi's lymphedema act up, and she's spent much of this week in her machine for her arm. I'm sure it's gonna be worse this weekend. I won't be there for much of the weekend so please look in on her and make sure she isn't pushing herself too much, ok? :thumbsup:

Clearly, the answer to all your sun/heat worries is to do the barbar and wear a furkini. Works for me! :p

The prediction for Montrose is 10 degrees cooler than where I live in Northwest NJ. Highs of 86 and 89 this weekend in Montrose, which is much better than 96 and 99.

Scott

Due to the extreame heat the areas that me and Christine work are experiencing very high EMS call volumes. During the day today units from surrounding areas had to be called in to deal with the increasing number of patients. Our companies are discussing activating mandatory overtime, extra staffing, and/or putting more trucks on the street to deal with heat emergencies. This brings up the possibly of me and/or Christine not being able to attend Friday night. It could also be in effect on Saturday meaning we could not attend the event. If this happens we will need someone on site to be medical staff. If no medically trained people are avalible we still need someone who is willing to monitor / treat heat related problems. Any of our military people would be great at this I know heat safety is drilled into you guys. If anyone is willing to take on this responsibility if me and Christine are unable to attend please contact me or christine via email. (cortniw@gmail.com or christine.maudlin@gmail.com) We will make sure anyone that officially takes on this responsibility is rewarded hansomely with goblin points.

-Cortni

As of now my company has an extra truck on for Friday. I'll be staffing it in the evening. So far they haven't decided for sure on Saturday and Sunday yet. I'll try to let you all know as soon as the supervisors and chief make a decision. If it's just Friday I can come up late. If it's saturday too I will not be able to come up. It sucks but full-time job trumps weekend fun with friends :/

-Christine

i know how it is. i always belived family and job comes first and then fun. course i have fun at work but thats another story.... i am thinking of trying to make the next meet up and thinking maybe NPC'in wont be for the whole weekend since i got to be at work for 10pm and need a little sleep before work sometime... but i am hoping to make something soon... finally turned on the House AC for the first time this year....

There will be an air conditioner in the NPC bunk room for this weekend. We can also use that area for an emergency heat exhaustion area.

Scott
Takin' Care of Business

Back