Weighted weapons

lukeskywkr

How do you weight your weapons, mainly one handed swords??

Can you be more specific with this question? I know a lot of people balance their weapons by buying bolts or such that they put in the handels.

Even with ultralights you can counterweight the back end. Exactly as Dave said, go to any hardware store and pick up a bolt that has a head too large to pass through the weapon core. Wrap the shaft of the bolt with tape if needed to keep it from rattling. Cover the bolt shaft in goop or your adhesive of choice and put this into what will be the pommel end of the core. For good measure I usually finish this off by taping the head of the bolt down as well.

DO NOT WEIGHT THE BLADE END.

Weighting the blade end will cause more whip in your weapon, which will make it more likely to break.

I've found that if you make the weapon with a composite core (i.e. glue the kite spar into a piece of PVC long enough for the handle with a CPVC "stopper" at the pommel end) that is generally enough of a counterweight for a UL weapon.

Good call. Also saves you the work of having to build up the handle.

I know... After 10 years of building these stupid things I've had some good ideas. ;-)

You can also buy bolts that fit into the ends and those are awesome too. :D

Yeah, but they increase the weight of the weapon more, and the whole point of the ultralight weapon is that it is ultralight.

bolts are good for pvc core weapons... but i think i want to try making this composite core thing now that i know about it.

I've heard people go both ways on that. Some people say it increases the overal weight. Some people say that doesn't matter, whats more important is the balance and the bolts help balance an ultra light even more. I guess its a matter of personal preferance. I still haven't made up my mind... :?

The balance is important, very much so, in fact.

But so is the weight, hence the general tendancy towards UL weapons.

I've made some with the composite core and a counterweight (I used custom rolled brass rods with a lip on the end so they were the same size as the OD of the kitespar on the 1/8" that stuck out and snug on the ID for the rest of the 6") and I've made some without the counterweight.

In my opinion, the extra weight does not add enough balance to warrant it.

But, YMMV.

If you decide to forgo UL, here's the method I've used:

Hook a length of hanger wire from the pommel up to the top of your grip, inside the PVC.
Loop the inside piece of wire so that it can serve as a catch, and push some cotton balls into the pipe until it stop against the inner hook.
Take small lead fishing weights and melt them in a spoon over a gas stove or bunson burner. Holding the pipe in a thick glove, pour the lead into the pipe.
Every few pours, cool the pipe under some running water.

You can usually fit up to about 5 lbs of weight in the pipe if you really wanted to.

With a lightest touch system, UL is just slightly over rated. Give me an excellently balanced pvc log, and Id take it over a poorly balanced kite spar UL. It 'should' be all in the wrist anyway.

But for those of you who think that adding weight to a UL weapon is blasphemy, wait till "The Uppercut Sword" kills you.

Back