What can you do while prisoned?

Slice

Fighter
I was curious, can someone rift, shadow-walk, or go noncoporial while under the effect of a prison?

Slice said:
I was curious, can someone rift, shadow-walk, or go noncoporial while under the effect of a prison?

Rift, yes. Shadow-walk, not sure. Go non-corp, sure, but they're still prison'ed. Prison doesn't prevent skill use, just physical movement. Rift (effectively going OOG) and going non-corp (no effect to everything except Solidify) don't require that. Not sure about shadow-walk, because it's not a rulebook rule, tmk. If shadow-walk requires "walking", then no. If it's just a varient on "going OOG", probably.

"Activating" something is an IG call that cannot be done if you can't speak. How many are IG statements and how many are OOG? That should resolve the issue, no?

What about activating a Spirit Recall? Is that an IG statement or an OOG statement?

-Bryan

Polare Lissenstine said:
"Activating" something is an IG call that cannot be done if you can't speak. How many are IG statements and how many are OOG? That should resolve the issue, no?
It's a good start. None of the abilities Holly asked require verbals.

What about activating a Spirit Recall? Is that an IG statement or an OOG statement?
I'll double-check my scroll when I get home.

jpariury said:
Do you mean shadowmeld, or is there another ability?

You could shadow meld, not shadow rift... sorry for the mix-up on terms... the others make more sense to me. And if I cared enough, I'd just change them. :)

Jim said:
You could shadow meld, not shadow rift... sorry for the mix-up on terms... the others make more sense to me. And if I cared enough, I'd just change them. :)

Oy, Jim. Shadowmeld, shadowrift, shadowstep, shadowwalk..... Can I shadowthunk? It's like waylay, but twice as powerful on Tuesdays. ;)

Oh, and I checked my scroll, Bryan. You need to be conscious, but there is no IG verbal associated with the ability, so you can Recall while Prison'ed. (Although, you're still Prisoned)

All right then I've got one for you.

Shadow assassin Bob is being chased by Sir Gregor. Bob jumps into a shadow and shadowmelds. Sir Gregor sits down next to that spot and arms a trap. He then goes a safe distance away.

Under which of these circumstances is Bob affected by the trap:

1. The trap is set off while Bob is still shadowmelded within the radius.
2. The trap is set off when Bob starts his 3-count to un-meld (is he in 'real space' before the 3-count is finished?)
3. Bob shadowwalked instead of shadowmelded. The trap goes off when Bob moves (while shadowwalking) and trips the cord.

What if I was spirit recalling and tripped a trap while traveling?

What if I was gaseous formed and tripped a trap?

Let's go another step on the Spirit Recall/Prison question as well. I Prison myself and Spirit Recall. It takes me more than 10 minutes to reach the target circle. Is the Prison still up when I come back in? Same question goes for shadowmeld/walk.

-Bryan

Polare Lissenstine said:
All right then I've got one for you.
Your "one" looks an awful lot like 4 or 5, sir.

Shadow assassin Bob is being chased by Sir Gregor. Bob jumps into a shadow and shadowmelds. Sir Gregor sits down next to that spot and arms a trap. He then goes a safe distance away.

Under which of these circumstances is Bob affected by the trap:

1. The trap is set off while Bob is still shadowmelded within the radius.
2. The trap is set off when Bob starts his 3-count to un-meld (is he in 'real space' before the 3-count is finished?)
3. Bob shadowwalked instead of shadowmelded. The trap goes off when Bob moves (while shadowwalking) and trips the cord.
1 - Negative.
2 - The rule of thumb has been that you are affectable while in your three-count, whether coming in or going out (of rifts, portals, water, etc.) The count is intended to hinder the counting person, not others.
3 - By the rules, if a trap is accidentally set off when someone OOG performs an action (going to the bathroom, for instance), the trap simply goes off, affecting whomever/whatever is applicable. Since Shadowwalk is not exactly an OOG condition, since you can hear and see what's going on around you, I'd say it goes off, and you take no effect, since that's primarily the purpose of the skill.

The key point, though, is "accidentally". If you do it on purpose, I would rule that the least advantageous thing happens to you. If you did it to blow other people up and be immune, to bad, you take it and they don't. If you did it to blow yourself up and whatever you were holding, to bad, that didn't happen.

Mind you, I'm guessing at how it was intended. It's not a rule that has had much use to be clarified and corrected. Whoever wrote the rule might have had something else in mind.

What if I was spirit recalling and tripped a trap while traveling?
See above on accident vs intentional.

What if I was gaseous formed and tripped a trap?
TMK, nothing actually prevents this. Gaseous form just gives you the ability "Affected only by Solidify", so this could be a valid method of using the effect.

Let's go another step on the Spirit Recall/Prison question as well. I Prison myself and Spirit Recall. It takes me more than 10 minutes to reach the target circle. Is the Prison still up when I come back in? Same question goes for shadowmeld/walk.
No, the prison is down. Similar ruling for rift, etc. None of those abilities "stop time". If you were bleeding out, and it takes you ten minutes to get to where you were spirit-walking/rifting/dancing to, just go to the circle and rezz, do not pass go. (Interesting way of ensuring rezz, IMO)

jpariury said:
No, the prison is down. Similar ruling for rift, etc. None of those abilities "stop time". If you were bleeding out, and it takes you ten minutes to get to where you were spirit-walking/rifting/dancing to, just go to the circle and rezz, do not pass go. (Interesting way of ensuring rezz, IMO)

Ah, but this brings up another issue - this means that if there's a hold or even a "roleplay hold" people OOG for travel reasons shouldn't move, or they can affect the game.

Since it takes as long to Spirit Recall as it does to walk from point A to point B, even though you're OOG you will affect things IG if you move during a hold! (Note of course that most normal holds you SHOULDN'T be moving in, even if you're OOG, but there are cases where this is accepted) Just an interesting observation on the weirdness introduced by things that affect IG and OOG at the same time.

Here's another one. Let's say you're in the 3-count of going gaseous (I go gaseous 1, I go gaseous 2) and you're hit by a Solidify. Is your count interrupted? If you can only go gaseous X times per day, is one use used up? Did you go gaseous for the purpose of disrupting say an Entangle?

-Bryan

Polare Lissenstine said:
Here's another one. Let's say you're in the 3-count of going gaseous (I go gaseous 1, I go gaseous 2) and you're hit by a Solidify. Is your count interrupted? If you can only go gaseous X times per day, is one use used up? Did you go gaseous for the purpose of disrupting say an Entangle?

-Bryan

About your gaseous question, I've seen it ruled/played that the count is interrupted (I believe while chasing mists and or vampires, etc.) and the creature (NPC) has had their skill interruped and thus becomes solid again, allowing much gankness to ensue. As for losing their skill per day? No idea. They were killed so it wasn't an issue.

Could have been a situational thing. *shrug*

Polare Lissenstine said:
Ah, but this brings up another issue - this means that if there's a hold or even a "roleplay hold" people OOG for travel reasons shouldn't move, or they can affect the game.

Since it takes as long to Spirit Recall as it does to walk from point A to point B, even though you're OOG you will affect things IG if you move during a hold! (Note of course that most normal holds you SHOULDN'T be moving in, even if you're OOG, but there are cases where this is accepted) Just an interesting observation on the weirdness introduced by things that affect IG and OOG at the same time.

I generally think of it like this- you are effectively OOG when spirit walking (you follow the mechanics of being OOG; white headband, etc). If you keep that in mind, it simplifies a few things with Spirt Walk.

1. It takes as long to go from point A to B as it takes you out-of game. This means that in theory you could cross the world in minutes, so long as both locales are properly designated within the game area. Essentially, this is a mechanic to simplify travel time- it just takes you IG as long as it takes you OOG.

2. You are OOG while travelling, so when in doubt you should obey all rules governing IG vs OOG interaction (or lack thereof) accordingly while spirit walking.

Polare Lissenstine said:

Would your count be interrupted if hit by a different non-debilitating spell (Weakness, for example)? You are not *yet* gaseous, so the solidify will not affect your state ("no effect"). If you are in fact interrupted, then one will be blown off your count, just as if you were interrupted using any other expendable ability.

Wow my brain hurts from trying to follow all of that. So what was the original question and final answer? Cause I think what I got form it was can bob shadow walk gregor who is trapping a prisoned person who is recalling his spirit while shadowmelding so that gregor can rift out his trap infront of bob who is for some reason shadowstepping into the bathroom. clarify?

Nick

Marlann said:
Cause I think what I got form it was can bob shadow walk gregor who is trapping a prisoned person who is recalling his spirit while shadowmelding so that gregor can rift out his trap infront of bob who is for some reason shadowstepping into the bathroom.

Exactly correct!

• You cannot do anything that requires being able to move (including talk) while Prisoned.
  • Rift and Shadowmeld do not require being able to talk or move.
  • Shadowwalk requires being able to move.
  • Spirit-recall requires being able to talk.
  • Don't set off traps on purpose while in an OOG or "transitory" state (spirit-walking, spirit-recalling, rifting, portaling). If you do, you will be punished both IG and OOG.
  • Try not to set off traps by accident while in an OOG or "transitory" state. If you do, be nice and apologize, but it did go off.
  • Non-corporeal and gaseous are not OOG nor "transitory" states.
  • You are not gaseous until you finish your count.
  • If an expendable ability (per day, per hour, per Tuesday, times ever) that uses a count is interrupted, the ability is still considered "used"
  • If you are in a "transitory" state, time is still counted against you.
  • Holds do not constitute OOG nor "transitory" states.

I would ask that any further questions specific to the shadow-state abilities be held off until a complete write-up can be furnished.

Back