What do our players really want? Let's ask them, all of them

Re: What do our players really want? Let's ask them, all of

aara said:
RiddickDale said:
As I said prior. We have one post from the project owner. How about we stop "expressing concerns" and start making proactive, solution oriented suggestions?

I thought that's what I was doing?

Then maybe I wasn't talking about your posts?

:robot:

Stephen

Avaran said:
What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

African or European?

So...just to be clear, I'm not really paying much attention to the people who seem to be having an anxiety attack from some reason. We can chat later.

To those of you who are offering suggestions for things we should consider including in the survey, or who are offering to help out with the project, Thanks!

Keep'em coming.

My only available comment here is that this is a long overdue idea, and I wish you great success with it, both in gathering your data and in applying it.

Michiko said:
This thread is hilarious. If I lose my job I will totally blame this thread.

Anyway, clearly people have opinions (even JP! If anyone believes he'd be watching The Little Mermaid on that bus I have a larp site to sell them! And what the heck? That's a lot of dudes making decisions which is your problem in the first place! j/k!!).

What's wrong with finding out what those opinions are? Especially for issues where people think "Yeah, this overhaul would probably be good for the game, but I just don't think the players would go for it." Well what if a good number of the players are thinking "Yeah, this probably needs to happen but I'm certainly not going to suggest they take my toys away." It's like love. You won't know if that person is into you unless you ask (since we're making outrageous analogies ;)).

I have to agree with you Rebecca.

Some people are concerned with what the "people" are going to do with the information. We can't force them to use it and do something about it, but if I was an owner I would want to cater to the needs of my customers. That is what a good business makes. I mean would McDonalds sell hamburgers in India?

I have done a few "secret shopper" runs. They have about a 83 page questionnaire. They get info and I get paid (not saying we need to pay our players to submit a servery).

I also think that play testing new rules/changes will help greatly.

David, I think the concern is actually more along the lines of how this could be a lot of wasted effort that is ignored. Which I hope it wouldn't be, but I'm not a betting man.

Rebecca - true enough, I'm more of an Aladdin kind of guy, but I still know all the words to all the songs from Little Mermaid. Even Ursula's. :)

The problem is that if you take everyone's opinion, they're all going to expect you to act on it, even when they contradict. And if you go a different way than someone opined, there's little to distinguish between "we ignored it" vs. "we considered it and went a different way" without nine pages of explanation, justification and a Dairy Queen Blizzard each (luckily, they're bogoho right now). My concern is that surveys get people focused on the details, which shouldn't matter as long as we get where we want to be.

That's valid.

I think that might be something we consider when we decide what questions to ask.

Right now all we know is that we want to ask questions of the general population. We have some basic ideas of what we would like to ask... but we haven't carved anything into a tablet yet.

Stephen

jpariury said:
Rebecca - true enough, I'm more of an Aladdin kind of guy, but I still know all the words to all the songs from Little Mermaid. Even Ursula's. :)

The problem is that if you take everyone's opinion, they're all going to expect you to act on it, even when they contradict. And if you go a different way than someone opined, there's little to distinguish between "we ignored it" vs. "we considered it and went a different way" without nine pages of explanation, justification and a Dairy Queen Blizzard each (luckily, they're bogoho right now). My concern is that surveys get people focused on the details, which shouldn't matter as long as we get where we want to be.

There was one summer I literally watched Beauty and the Beast every single day. It's position as the best Disney Movie has only recently been usurped by Tangled.

To use your analogy (which really was hilarious btw, I had to make up excuses why I was laughing so hard at my desk), I think most people would agree that our bus is in need of repairs or it's not going to get us where we want to go, but the drivers think "Well, if we stop the bus to fix the A/C, it's going to take too long and people are going to get off." But maybe the people riding the bus would rather have some A/C and are willing to endure a few days delay in order to not be stinky for Mickey Mouse.

Anyway, fun with analogies aside, I have nothing more useful to contribute to this thread since most of the ideas I'd suggest have already been covered.

Take a look at the rulebook. Ask people to rate each part in turn, 1-5. Then ask them how they feel their chapter(s) are playing with those rules. How well does the NPC system work for your chapter (1-5). How does the production system work? Treasure? Etc,etc.

That's about as even-handed as it gets. Of course, if you actually want the opinion of the playerbase, you're going to have to make sure they all respond. As in "we need you fill out this survey and turn it in at the end of the event, or else you're not getting build- but it's worth (insert value here) when you do." Carrot and stick together.

Personally, I'm also of the opinion that those that speak up are the ones that should be heard and acted upon in the first place, unequal though that might be. If you, as a player decide to be silent...you aren't doing a game any good by doing so. All that does is create a form of "benign neglect" that eats away at a LARP to begin with.

Perhaps instead of focusing on specific questions at the moment, how about looking at the sort of categories of questions we'd like to ask? I mean, are we looking for feedback on game mechanics ("Do you like the current Stun Limb rules?"), game philosophy ("Should there be a limit on magical items?"), player motivations ("What is the primary reason you play the game?")? Do we want to cover all those categories, only some? I certainly like the idea of getting the feedback from the players, but having a rough idea of what we want to figure out ("taking the pulse" of the player base, coming up with new rules, etc) can help give us an idea of what sort of questions to come up with.

Otherwise, I'm going to suggest we ask the players if they want more mods featuring cake. ;)

Rhys said:
Perhaps instead of focusing on specific questions at the moment, how about looking at the sort of categories of questions we'd like to ask? I mean, are we looking for feedback on game mechanics ("Do you like the current Stun Limb rules?"), game philosophy ("Should there be a limit on magical items?"), player motivations ("What is the primary reason you play the game?")? Do we want to cover all those categories, only some? I certainly like the idea of getting the feedback from the players, but having a rough idea of what we want to figure out ("taking the pulse" of the player base, coming up with new rules, etc) can help give us an idea of what sort of questions to come up with.

Otherwise, I'm going to suggest we ask the players if they want more mods featuring cake. ;)

Hey, those are signature Chicago mods! If chapters want to run tasty cross-chapter plot, drop us a line.

i got a biscuit as treasure in a wave battle this year at HQ. it was one of the best loots I have ever gotten.

CT had oozes that dropped freezie pops at their last event

I played Ice elementals in NJ once that handed out popsicle... :)

SoMN had powerful, but delicious cupcake golems

Dan's face is on topic. Can we put that in the survey?

Only if the topic is "Perfection Improved."

I've already put my suggestions in.

Back