Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Renaissance Era

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters

Fynwei

Squire
We keep using this phrase "In Period" for costuming... just what does that mean? (Rhetorical question... but feel free to give your opinion)
For me, the majority of the costuming I see fits loosely to the Early and Late Middle Ages (European Timeline), though I have seen costuming ranging from the height of Rome to the height of the Victorian era. My personal favorite places to pick costuming ideas from would be 11th through 14th century European fashions.

Other...

Whatever fits the campaign setting, your race packet, or a mix thereof.

Middle Ages bordering on Renaissance eras...but of course, I have seem descriptions of hobblings that fit into a Victorian.

Inaryn said:
Other...

^ agree

Though non-modern would be the biggest part of it, it comes down to what is in your race packet. From what I've seen, Hobblings are mostly Victorian/Steampunk in their style of dress. I've seen people who dress like Roman gladiators, I've seen pictures from chapters where races wear what would be considered middle eastern dress today. The requirements for in period should be more along the lines of matching your race packet rather than a set era.

Inaryn said:
Other...

Robb Graves said:
fantasy times... ie.. whatever you want as long as your local plot doesn't have a problem with it.

I basically agree with both Robb and Sarah. My spin is that if you're making an effort to put forward good costuming that contributes to the overall atmosphere of the game, I'm not too concerned about the time period, so long as it's not overly anachronistic and fits the world in which you play. Now, my personal preference for costuming cuts off at about the mid to late Gregorian era, though I've seen some excellent Victorian/Steampunk elements in other peoples costuming.

I'd agree with anything non-modern. I've seen tons of styles at SoMN. My Dryad uses a mix of Japanese and early Renaissance, I've seen a lot of Dark Elves go Japanese style, Romani use European, ect. Just up to what the person wants their character to look like.

I'm pro fantasy. I'm not really concerned with a time period as long as a person's costuming isn't jarringly anachronistic when lined up against a bunch of other players.

RiddickDale said:
I'm pro fantasy. I'm not really concerned with a time period as long as a person's costuming isn't jarringly anachronistic when lined up against a bunch of other players.
Ditto.

Back